Line Combos: Liljegren should be on the team opening night because our D looks horrendous

Status
Not open for further replies.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
This is why I was confused at the few posters earlier in the thread that were all “LOL it’s 90 minutes into free agency!” Like, ok? All the good free agents are already gone and it’s not like we had the cap space to sign them anyways, which I alluded to in the OP
There were no good defenceman this year. Maybe Stralman but he's a question mark with his injury last year. Hainsey would have been fine coming back but I guess he wanted too much money and played too much while he was here. Myers is worse than the players who left. I wouldn't mind giving Hutton a shot but he's a LHD so we don't need him.

Reactions: Smittey

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Lots of time for a trade, but this D is dicey. Counting on one of the kids to play a significant role is dangerous too. Even Rosen is a question mark, he’s hasn’t proven jack at this level.

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Laugh if you want to, but, the way this defence looks at the moment, we are a Rielly/Muzzin injury away from arguably not even being a playoff team.

If both somehow get hurt and miss extended time next season? I can’t see the Leafs making the playoffs.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Liljegren would be so much better than Marincin or Holl almost immediately imo
Sure why not. I don’t think either are NHL D man however so...

Lil will be given every shot, could get the Dermott routine as well if his camp is uneven.

There are too many IFS on D. If Rosen. If a kid impresses. If Ceci works with Muzzin? If Dermott hits the ground running after he comes back and becomes a true Top 4? I’m concerned as we sit here today, looks IFFY.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Heres what our D looks like so far for opening night:

Rielly - Ceci?
Muzzin - Holl?
Rosen - Marincin?!

Injured: Dermott (until Nov/Dec)
Extra: Harpur

That is disgusting and is just not gonna fly at the NHL level, especially since our D was already a weak point the previous 2 seasons. With the Marner contract looking to be around $9+ per, there is very little room to improve that D core at all unless there are more significant trades incoming. If we run with that core we are missing the playoffs I don’t care what anybody says, which means we are gonna need some help from ELC prospects.

Top RD prospects:
Liljegren
Lindgren
Duszak
Hollowell

It looks like now is the time to put Liljegren on the team out of training camp and hope he plays at the level we hoped he could when we drafted him. 2 years in the AHL while playing significant minutes on the top pairing last season, along with a Calder cup championship his 1st season should be good enough to play in the NHL at age 20. He was a high risk/high reward pick when he fell to us so I think it’s time to find out if we are rewarded.

It's July 1st... have some patience before jumping off the bridge. Dubas isn't done as of yet.

That being said, Lily may very well be in the opening lineup, out of merit.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
When people say it isn’t the start of the season, essentially they are agreeing our D looks like crap right now. Everyone is really in agreement, which is why I say the caveat as “we sit here today”. As we sit here today with the draft over (prime trade time), teams filling up rosters, the dog days of summer-wherein nothing happens-approaching in a few days, our D is borderline absolute ass.

The thing is we have made some signings on D, and they point to trouble “as we sit here”.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I expect Liljegren to be in heavy contention for a roster spot come October. He's ready but who knows what the roster looks like by then and it depends on a few scenarios.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
When people say it isn’t the start of the season, essentially they are agreeing our D looks like crap right now. Everyone is really in agreement, which is why I say the caveat as “we sit here today”. As we sit here today with the draft over (prime trade time), teams filling up rosters, the dog days of summer-wherein nothing happens-approaching in a few days, our D is borderline absolute ass.

The thing is we have made some signings on D, and they point to trouble “as we sit here”.

Yea, we need a top 4 guy badly. Ceci is our #3 as we sit here right now.

Reactions: DarkKnight

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
What about the Finn and Russian that were signed. I don’t see them on any projected lineups

I believe the Russian was one of the top goal scorers in the KHL last year. He could make an impact with 20-25 goals in his first season.

Reactions: Faltorvo

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I understand your sentiment, but this title assumes that Liljgren some how saves us and he won't.

He isn't ready yet by all the truated reports. Maybe late in the season we'll see him, but there's no way we lean on him.

filthyMitz

Feb 5, 2018
Indiana
After 90 minutes of Free Agent Frenzy? Lol.

I get more and more the feeling that posters with Matthews avatar and/or nick can't be taken seriously.
Hey man, you just don’t seem as concerned about the game tomorrow as the rest of us with higher intellects.

Reactions: BM14

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Looks like there will be at least one kid in the lineup. I expect a trade or signing as there are still serviceable D out there.

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - FA or trade
Dermott - Lil or Sandin

Borgman or Rosen or Holl are still options too I believe.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Looks like there will be at least one kid in the lineup. I expect a trade or signing as there are still serviceable D out there.

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - FA or trade
Dermott - Lil or Sandin

Borgman or Rosen are still options too I believe.

Borgman and Rosen are ahead of lily and Sandin as being NHL ready, it is what it is
  1. Rielly
  2. Muzzin
  3. Ceci
  4. Rosen
that's our top for at the moment

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Liljegren should be on the team because he's good, not because our defense is horrid.

He only got better as the year went on. Playing on the top pair as a 19 year old he had a 56% CF in the regular season and 65% CF in the playoffs.

He's ready for at least sheltered minutes and I wouldn't be surprised to see him work his way into the top 4 eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad