Line Combos: Liljegren should be on the team opening night because our D looks horrendous

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Heres what our D looks like so far for opening night:

Rielly - Ceci?
Muzzin - Holl?
Rosen - Marincin?!

Injured: Dermott (until Nov/Dec)
Extra: Harpur

That is disgusting and is just not gonna fly at the NHL level, especially since our D was already a weak point the previous 2 seasons. With the Marner contract looking to be around $9+ per, there is very little room to improve that D core at all unless there are more significant trades incoming. If we run with that core we are missing the playoffs I don’t care what anybody says, which means we are gonna need some help from ELC prospects.

Top RD prospects:
Liljegren
Lindgren
Duszak
Hollowell

It looks like now is the time to put Liljegren on the team out of training camp and hope he plays at the level we hoped he could when we drafted him. 2 years in the AHL while playing significant minutes on the top pairing last season, along with a Calder cup championship his 1st season should be good enough to play in the NHL at age 20. He was a high risk/high reward pick when he fell to us so I think it’s time to find out if we are rewarded.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Rielly _____
Muzzin Ceci
Rosen Liljegren

Then Dermott comes back and shifts everyone down and Liljegren back to the AHL depending on the quality of the ____

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
If he's not on the opening night roster he'll be a mid-season call-up that hopefully stays, just like Dermott. You could argue he would have gotten a taste last year if not for the injury troubles.

Reactions: TakeTheBody

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Why don't you wait a couple days before posting this? Let things play out on the busiest hockey day of the year first.
With what cap space? Only way we’re improving our D is through trade involving either Marner or Kadri

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Heres what our D looks like so far for opening night:

Rielly - Ceci?
Muzzin - Holl?
Rosen - Marincin?!

Injured: Dermott (until Nov/Dec)
Extra: Harpur

That is disgusting and is just not gonna fly at the NHL level, especially since our D was already a weak point the previous 2 seasons. With the Marner contract looking to be around $9+ per, there is very little room to improve that D core at all unless there are more significant trades incoming. If we run with that core we are missing the playoffs I don’t care what anybody says, which means we are gonna need some help from ELC prospects.

Top RD prospects:
Liljegren
Lindgren
Duszak
Hollowell

It looks like now is the time to put Liljegren on the team out of training camp and hope he plays at the level we hoped he could when we drafted him. 2 years in the AHL while playing significant minutes on the top pairing last season, along with a Calder cup championship his 1st season should be good enough to play in the NHL at age 20. He was a high risk/high reward pick when he fell to us so I think it’s time to find out if we are rewarded.
Can't wait for the regular season to start tomorrow! w00t w00t!

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
1:28 on July 1st. Surprised it took so long.

After 90 minutes of Free Agent Frenzy? Lol.

I get more and more the feeling that posters with Matthews avatar and/or nick can't be taken seriously.
I don’t know why you guys are bringing up free agency as if it’s relevant. We have no cap space to sign anyone on the market that could actually help the team. I’m talking about our D now after the Ceci trade, and its awful.

Unless you guys think high quality RD UFA’s like McQuaid, Wideman, or Lovejoy can help this team :laugh:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Nylander or kadri could both improve our Defense in a trade
Why do you think that's our defense and it won't change? It's only July 1st.
I can see us kicking tires again on Pesce for Kadri, but then that leaves us weak at 3C. Someone like Parayko is now likely way too expensive after being a prominent player in the Blues winning the cup. We aren’t getting anybody of good value for Nylander after his unfortunate season, and it would be a mistake to trade him anyway with his value probably at the lowest it’s ever been.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I want Lilly to be as prepared as he can before playing on Toronto's backend. Give him the Kapanen/Johnsson/Dermott treatment.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I can see us kicking tires again on Pesce for Kadri, but then that leaves us weak at 3C. Someone like Parayko is now likely way too expensive after being a prominent player in the Blues winning the cup. We aren’t getting anybody of good value for Nylander after his unfortunate season, and it would be a mistake to trade him anyway with his value probably at the lowest it’s ever been.

Yeah, this post does not convince me that the Leafs are done, sorry.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
There isn't even anyone who is a free agent that is an upgrade to our defence anyways. But as to the OP, I'm not sure if there is any deal out there to improve the defence either. Liljegren should definitely be in the starting 6, and for the full year. I'm not sure if Kadri has value to trade after a down year in points and back to back playoff suspensions. I'm not sure how wanted he is.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I’d really hate to do this, but it might be time to bite the bullet and trade Willy for Pesce and a 2nd.

Flip the 2nd and Columbus 3rd for Wennberg

Wennberg just and example , preferably a cheaper option...

Use the JT line as the shutdown line:

Hyman - - Matthews - Marner
Kadri - - - Tavares - - Kapanen
Johnsson - Wennberg - Moore
Marchement - Spezza - Shore

Rielly - - Pesce
Muzzin - Ceci
Harpur - Dermott

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
There isn't even anyone who is a free agent that is an upgrade to our defence anyways. But as to the OP, I'm not sure if there is any deal out there to improve the defence either. Liljegren should definitely be in the starting 6, and for the full year. I'm not sure if Kadri has value to trade after a down year in points and back to back playoff suspensions. I'm not sure how wanted he is.
This is why I was confused at the few posters earlier in the thread that were all “LOL it’s 90 minutes into free agency!” Like, ok? All the good free agents are already gone and it’s not like we had the cap space to sign them anyways, which I alluded to in the OP

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
It's been about 20 years since the Leafs had a good d corps, but I don't remember it ever being this bad though.
Arguably the best Left side in the league, and question marks on the right which could turn out to be good. No one knows how Ceci will play in a better situation. No one knows if Liljegren can handle NHLers yet, which he easily could and could so in a top 4 role. So many of the teams defensive issues last year resulted from players who are not returning. Just because it seems like the players coming in could be worse doesn't mean they will be. It also doesn't mean that players that are viewed to be better coming in will guarantee they are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad