Ligue 1 2017/18

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Having an extra 5 goals via penalties won't get him a Balon D'or. Winning will and he'll need the support of his teammates if he ever wants to win a CL.

Incidents like these make me appreciate how humble Lio and Suarez are. They shared the penalties and never *****ed about not getting it. Even before MSN Lio was handing penalties to his mates when they needed a goal.

That's one thing that I always admired about Suarez. He's truly a team player and while he has had his moments of craziness he just wants to win so badly he'll do almost anything. He never took penalties at Liverpool either.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Penalties should be for the best player on the team to pad their stats. If someone doesn't like that, then be better. There's nothing stopping Cavani from being a better player than Neymar, but he's not. If there's not a best player on the team or not clear best player, I could understand "the best penalty taker" taking it. But Neymar is on the team, he's one of the best players in the world, he gets to attempt to pad his stats. That should be the way it works.

:laugh:

This whole post is ridiculous but that bold was just too good.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
L'Equipe now says Neymar and Cavani had to be separated by Thiago Silva and Marquinhos in the locker room after the Lyon game

:popcorn:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Hahaha this is so good. I don't have much good will left for Barca after this summer but it would be hilarious if they won the CL this year.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
All shouting and violence is going to scare DiMaria. Incoming transfer request

The coach needs to take a hold of this. Not the first team with lots of egos - up to Emery to manage it

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Neymar was always a good teammate at Barca, I guess he just doesn't respect Emery, PSG or the squad.

More like Neymar is showing his true color. Who can stir **** anyway when you're playing with the best player on the planet? You just shut your mouth and play.

Everything that happened in the summer makes a lot of sense. Neymar couldn't stand playing under the shadow of Messi, he's a player who needs all the attention to himself in his team. Many have said that he plays better with Brazil and is being limited at Barca, but in fact he thrives when getting all the attention. He didn't mind moving to a weaker league (Sorry Evilo) in order to pad his stats and have a shot at the Ballon d'Or. That's the type of person he is.

I coach an amateur club, my players are 18-26 yrs olds, I've seen my fair share of childish behaviours but never anything like this :laugh:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
More like Neymar is showing his true color. Who can stir **** anyway when you're playing with the best player on the planet? You just shut your mouth and play.

The Barcelona squad also wouldn't have let him. Not the case at PSG where there's so many Brazilians and they're indispensable.

Emery knows this too which is why he won't get involved.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
So El-Khelaifi has blamed the media for the Neymar-Cavani situation: "There is nothing, you media, are the ones that cause the problems."

Rumor now that Neymar is demanding they sell Cavani.

I wonder if PSG's twitter account has been active with this whole situation. Someone should tweet this one their way and see if they enjoy it:

Hahaha this is so good. I don't have much good will left for Barca after this summer but it would be hilarious if they won the CL this year.

Yeah, and Paulinho will score his 20th in all competitions to win it all. Fortunately for you that's as likely as Dortmund winning anything.

The coach needs to take a hold of this. Not the first team with lots of egos - up to Emery to manage it

We'll see what happens, but so far his reaction has been poor.

Neymar was always a good teammate at Barca.

Yes, it has to be said he was excellent for us at Barça in so many respects. His reputation, including on this forum, was generally unfair.

Everything that happened in the summer makes a lot of sense. Neymar couldn't stand playing under the shadow of Messi, he's a player who needs all the attention to himself in his team. Many have said that he plays better with Brazil and is being limited at Barca, but in fact he thrives when getting all the attention. He didn't mind moving to a weaker league (Sorry Evilo) in order to pad his stats and have a shot at the Ballon d'Or. That's the type of person he is.

Or maybe it's all gone to his head.

I think you're exaggerating here. Sure Neymar may have looked at his situation and thought "I'm 25 and I need to make a move now because if I wait for my chance to be the premier player here it'll be another three years before that happens." That doesn't mean he couldn't stand playing under the shadow of Messi. He's always been respectful of Messi and while one could argue he had to be because he wouldn't have been able to get with being disrespectful, he could have been less of a team player and he didn't go that road. I also think you're not giving the financial incentive Neymar had it's due. Let's be clear here, he moved for the money first and foremost. That's not to say there weren't other reasons (I think he also thought the ship was sinking and he'd better jump off now), but the financial piece is what really did it.

The Barcelona squad also wouldn't have let him. Not the case at PSG where there's so many Brazilians and they're indispensable.

Yeah, he wouldn't have got away with that and he's too smart to have tried assuming he would have wanted to.

Some of those Brazilians are going to be dispensable before too long. Fortunately it's L1 so they have more time.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So El-Khelaifi has blamed the media for the Neymar-Cavani situation: "There is nothing, you media, are the ones that cause the problems."

Rumor now that Neymar is demanding they sell Cavani.

I wonder if PSG's twitter account has been active with this whole situation. Someone should tweet this one their way and see if they enjoy it:

Nah about the selling. That's BS.
PSG will solve this the way they solve everything : with money.
Cavani will take pens all season long and the one that doesn't get the scoring title will get a bonus.

As for the pic, I loled :D
However, I don't think Neymar's in Cavani's shadow anytime soon. Cavani could whine he's now under the shadow of Neymar and... Mbappe. But he's no whiner.
Mbappe who could very well shadow Neymar the way things are going.
He wasn't great the last weekend, but was still the better of the 3.
In fact, I think since they play together, Mbappe has been the best forward. Best player with Rabiot in fact (who's been totally dominant).

Again, that makes sense the way Neymar behaves. You could say he wasn't like this with Barca and we judged him unfairly, but I think we were right. He didn't move an ear because Messi was there, a prime example of how a player should behave on the pitch. But he came to PSG to shine, pad his stats, try to win the CL with PSG and the Ballon d'Or. And now he sees the not so good technically, but heart and soul and ultimate warrior and hard worker Cavani take the pens.
Cavani is not half of Neymar technically, but he's twice the player in his movement.

BTW, every sunday evening, there's a football TV show here in France called Canal Football Club right before the featured game on Canal +.
They host a player every week. They always ask defensemen who's the toughest player to defend in L1 over the last few years.
Most of them don't answer Ibra or Lacazette or anything like that : they say Cavani. He's always moving, always working hard, and if they look elsewhere for two seconds, he's gone and scoring. They feel his movement off the ball is the best they ever saw. He'll miss some easy goals, sure but he'll get 4 or 5 prime chances per game at least.
Found it interesting to say the least since it's what I've claimed for years.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yes, people often underrate how important off the ball work is. It's the same reason Firmino doesn't get enough credit for how good he is and the problems he causes for the opposing team. Cavani is great -- maybe if Neymar does force a sale Liverpool can snap him up...he'd be a nice fit.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Again, that makes sense the way Neymar behaves. You could say he wasn't like this with Barca and we judged him unfairly, but I think we were right. He didn't move an ear because Messi was there, a prime example of how a player should behave on the pitch. But he came to PSG to shine, pad his stats, try to win the CL with PSG and the Ballon d'Or. And now he sees the not so good technically, but heart and soul and ultimate warrior and hard worker Cavani take the pens.
Cavani is not half of Neymar technically, but he's twice the player in his movement.

BTW, every sunday evening, there's a football TV show here in France called Canal Football Club right before the featured game on Canal +.
They host a player every week. They always ask defensemen who's the toughest player to defend in L1 over the last few years.
Most of them don't answer Ibra or Lacazette or anything like that : they say Cavani. He's always moving, always working hard, and if they look elsewhere for two seconds, he's gone and scoring. They feel his movement off the ball is the best they ever saw. He'll miss some easy goals, sure but he'll get 4 or 5 prime chances per game at least.
Found it interesting to say the least since it's what I've claimed for years.

I said his reputation was unfair and it was. I was referring specifically to what occurred on the pitch though and not off it. He's frequently been called out for diving or embellishing when it wasn't there. Or he was called out for being petulant when all he did was stand up for himself. Neymar was never my favorite player, but I have a lot of respect for him on the pitch because he stood up for himself in a league where he was constantly targeted.

I don't need any convincing about Cavani. I drafted him alongside Messi and got basically zero credit for it. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad