Pre-Game Talk: Lightning vs Leafs | January 28th, 7pm EST | TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
^ Dudes an ironman, not worried about it.

First game against the Lightning this year IIRC. Weird considering its halfway through the season already...

ThrillinPhil

Tdot.
Jan 9, 2011
David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590 5m
Phil Kessel will not return to practice. Nazem Kadri taking his spot at practice switching to a white jersey.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Said "if". Not stating he isn't. Nt one for panic ever, but I want to atleast get my best bang for the huge dollars I spent.

Hope it's a good one for you. I dumped it, never enjoyed Tampa games.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
now jvr is injured

James van Riemsdyk forced to leave practice with an apparent injury. Seemed to tweak something in leg during drill.

I was wondering when he would get hurt... it seems inevitable with JVR, although he has managed to dodge the injury bug while in Toronto. Fans in philly hated the guy because he was always hurt

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 47s
Carlyle says Kessel and JVR should be fine for tomorrow.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 5m
Carlyle says Kessel and JVR have been nursing injuries lately.

Delicious Dangles*

Talk about not using injuries as an excuse for failure.

Lightning are the poster child to support this, as missing Stamkos one of the best players on the planet and not missing a beat as a team tied for 2nd in the Eastern conference standings.

Our Leafs are not missing a Stamkos but are not able to keep up with the Lightening. TB finished 3rd last overall last season while the Leafs made the playoffs.

Why are TB outperforming the Leafs this year?
Replacing a bunch of players, especially all from certain positions all at once, are MUCH harder to replace than a single player, regardless of the quality of that player.

Tampa has actually not had to deal with much adversity this year.

Tampa's goaltending is night and day from last year, which perfectly explains their rise in the standings.

Delicious Dangles*

TB was a bottom 5 lottery team last season, just like our Leafs the prior one (Rielly), why aren't we seeing similar team improvement with goaltending improvement?
The Leafs saw the improvement last year, when they started getting solid goaltending, just like Tampa is this year, now that they are receiving solid goaltending.

If not for Bernier (7th best sv%) would Leafs be a lottery team? Similarly if Leafs were missing their best player Kessel for months would they be better or worse in the standings?
We have no way of knowing, so there is no reason for continuous negative speculation.

What we do know is that team performance has very little correlation to singular injuries (except goalies), regardless of the player quality.

To give a real life example, a team will struggle MUCH more with their top-3 centers out (Leafs), than a team will missing one of the best players in the world (Lightning).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
TB and TOR were the two teams most savaged by horrific goaltending for most of the last decade. Leafs finally fixed it with reimer and now bernier, and now it looks like the bolts have done the same with bishop.

Its nice to see.

Its just a crying shame that both teams sabotaged themselves for so long with incompetent goaltending.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
My biggest concern with JVR and Kessel is the fact that they won't have any rest. With how much JVR gets banged around during games (especially against teams like Boston), I'm sure he's probably hurting and could use a little time off if it was possible but obviously he's going to keep playing through it (he basically did the same thing when he had a pretty bad hip problem in Philly). Kessel has seemed off/hurt at times this season as well. There's been a few times at practice this year where both had to leave the ice because it seemed like they were in pain.

It would've been nice if they could just stay home for the break and rest up, but oh well, that's life. At least other stars will likely be worn out as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad