Post-Game Talk: Lightning keep Jets grounded - 8-3 - "Hit the reset button"

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I think this is a bit of an over reaction. I would say passing on Hamilton and Couturier was the biggest error management has made thus far.

#ScheifeleHate

While both of those players have played more NHL games than Scheif and are right now more competitive in the big league (both have also been given more opportunity), there is no way to know who turns out better in the end.

Example: Ovechkin won the Calder over Crosby, now Sid's looking at him in the rearview mirror.

Not saying Mark is Sidney Crosby, just that you never know how a draft really went for a team until a few years later.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
simple.gif

I think this is a bit of an over reaction. I would say passing on Hamilton and Couturier was the biggest error management has made thus far.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The good ended for me as soon as the magic, dragons and zombies entered the picture. Ugh.

So the first scene of the show?

Those are just the filler, the flair. They aren't the core of the show.

Waaaaaay off-topic though...

But on this note, time for a new avvy

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
What's with the shakehead? You don't think he is great on the PK, or the dot this season? To say he hasn't been excellent in those areas is crazy.

Of course sooner or later he's going to have to produce. Who here has ever said he is going to stay on the team until he is 30 if he doesn't produce?

Most are just saying to give the kid a legitimate chance. This could very well have been his first NHL season.

Is everyone on this page besides Hall, Seguin, Skinner, and Fowler getting the same treatment from their fanbases? That they either have to produce big this season or it's over?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2010e.html

First off no one on our PK gets a pass, the Jets are ranked dead last on the PK

Secondly, Burmi was okay taking face off's in the first few games he hasn't been very good in the last couple of games.

Thirdly it's not his first NHL season, this is his third go-round in the show, he couldn't put up offensive numbers in the AHL nor has he in the NHL, the jury is out whether he will ever be anything more than a defensive checking forward.

The other guys you mention have already proven that they can produce at the NHL level, don't confuse a slow start with NOT showing an offensive ability.

That being said I think he should be given some PP time just for the fact that he can handle the puck, he might even be good on the point on the PP, kind of like little Timmy last season.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
First off no one on our PK gets a pass, the Jets are ranked dead last on the PK

Secondly, Burmi was okay taking face off's in the first few games he hasn't been very good in the last couple of games.

Thirdly it's not his first NHL season, this is his third go-round in the show, he couldn't put up offensive numbers in the AHL nor has he in the NHL, the jury is out whether he will ever be anything more than a defensive checking forward.

The other guys you mention have already proven that they can produce at the NHL level, don't confuse a slow start with NOT showing an offensive ability.

That being said I think he should be given some PP time just for the fact that he can handle the puck, he might even be good on the point on the PP, kind of like little Timmy last season.

So Burmistrov's good play on the PK gets lumped in with the guys on the team who have been horrible on it because overall the team is last? That makes no sense as a metric to evaluate one guy.

You are right about the faceoffs though, he has struggled there lately.

As for it being Burmistrov's 3rd season, that is my point. I don't care that it's his 3rd season. It's not his fault that he was brought in too early. The point is, why is he being held to a different standard than everyone else in the 2010 draft that hasn't broken out?

What does

"The other guys you mention have already proven that they can produce at the NHL level, don't confuse a slow start with NOT showing an offensive ability."

even mean?

The guys I mentioned "Hall, Seguin, Skinner, and Fowler" are the ONLY guys from the 2010 draft that have proven to be NHL point producers. That's the point.

Of course the jury is out whether he will ever be anything more than a defensive checking forward. The question is why does Burmistrov get punished for something that wasn't his fault? Why does he get punished by being rushed into the NHL?

Judging Burmistrov by a "third year" metric is technically correct I guess. Looking at when players usually (and should) first play in the NHL I think it is more realistic and fair to the player to look at this season as no better than his 1st. Because realistically, this should have been his 1st season. And using that as MY frame of reference, I see a 21 year old who already is a very good defensive player, with excellent skating and stick-handling. A lot of players start with offense and need to learn how to play D. Maybe Burmistrov is the opposite, already is good on D and needs to learn how to take his offense to an NHL level. Whatever it is, at 21 years old, he certainly should get a lot more leash than some people want to give him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad