GDT: Lightning at Wings | February 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Sorry to bud in as a Sabres fan, but your GDT looks eerily similar to ours when we played Tampa.

TB is a dirty ass team. Ive grown to hate them almost as much as the Leafs. They know they can get away with interference, dirty little plays, etc...for the most part, so they continue to do it since the off penalty call is worth it if they can get away with it for a majority of the game. f*** them.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Tampa blocked something like 20 something shots too. How many shots would we have had? Geez

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't really understand getting injured by a puck. Is getting in the way of high speed pucks somehow a surprising and unexpected phenomenon? Isn't equipment designed to protect against that sort of thing? Like... specifically?

Is this a thing that happens to other teams too, or is it just us?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't really understand getting injured by a puck. Is getting in the way of high speed pucks somehow a surprising and unexpected phenomenon? Isn't equipment designed to protect against that sort of thing? Like... specifically?

Yeah, I don't get how pad manuf.s haven't figured that shit out. There are super materials now, but for whatever reason (cost probably) they aren't putting them to use.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If Ras is down, no way they sit Sunny for Vrana now. They will claim they need his jam, Vrana doesn't do that.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Think about it this way. Pads have to accommodate all the movements hockey players have to make. This results in there being a lot of gaps in the padding. On the legs specifically, the padding on the sides is very minimal (and there is none on the back). Traditionally, hockey players were taught to face shots head-on, your body square. You didn't need extra armor on the sides. Now guys turn sideways to block shots all the time.... I'm almost surprised shin pads haven't changed to offer more protection on the sides because of this. But even if they did, the side of your knee would still probably be vulnerable, given that it's a joint that has to move.

But blocking shots is also somewhat of an art. As someone who's never hesitated to block shots, I learned pretty young how to do it effectively without getting injured. Be near the shooter, don't lose your gap, be square to the shooter, legs together, etc. I eat shots pretty effectively, but it's always possible to catch one the wrong way, it's a game of chaos at times. I have a big welt on top of my foot from a shot a couple nights ago (skates will always offer only minimal protection), and a yellow and purple bruise on my thigh where a puck got between my pants and shin pads a week ago. Had those shots had NHL heat on them, I'd probably have sustained a lot more damage, heh.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Sorry to bud in as a Sabres fan, but your GDT looks eerily similar to ours when we played Tampa.

TB is a dirty ass team. Ive grown to hate them almost as much as the Leafs. They know they can get away with interference, dirty little plays, etc...for the most part, so they continue to do it since the off penalty call is worth it if they can get away with it for a majority of the game. f*** them.
Vladimir Konstatinov said "if you're not cheating, you aren't trying ". Smart players and smart teams do that and get away with it, while young teams look foolish. They will learn.
We played the game vs Avs a month ago or so and McKinnon flew footed our goalie. They scored we didn't get our well deserved PP.Unfortunately my "best friend" on the board disagreed with me so I had to give in to save the friendship.
I think it's worth it.

So true. Those were frustrating games to watch.
Apparently the key to the Wings winning is getting outshot by their opponent
We have been outshot last 10-15 games but we have been winning. This is the 1st game in a very long time where we outshot opponent by quite a lot, yet we lost and got shutout against.
I think the effective way to play is not to care about the shots but scoring chances and counter attacks.
Vasilevskiy was on fire tonight. Solid effort by the Wings.
We didn't really put many quality shots on him.
I don't know that the Wings had a shot on goal tonight that was above bottom half of the net
I can't remember any.
Well with Ras probably out for a bit, Vrana will def be playing against Ottawa.
Too bad Rasmussen got injured. He has played his best hockey and made a huge step forward.
Best effort I have seen from a Wings team since Zetterberg left. No results but that was a great game to watch, team looks crisp just couldn't get past Vas. He was a brickwall.
The team deserves the credit, no doubt.
Nope. Raymond will be active and they’ll sit him again. Sucks. Games like this are when you need pure scorers.
Indeed. Vrana might be the best goalscorer we have.
Vasi goaltending masterclass.
He faces as many shots as Brodeur would in 4 or 5 games. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: JohanFranzenstein
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad