Post-Game Talk: Lightnight 7, Penguins 1: The Niemi Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The Point (?) goal where he roofed it in tight was impressive, but simultaneously terrible on Niemi's part. I don't know how the heck Niemi leaves a rebound like that on that type of shot (Point's first shot) or why he'd leave it just laying there, instead of poking it out of danger. Zatkoff doesn't give up that goal. I don't know if late stage Brent Johnston even gets scored on there.

Should've claimed Pickard off waivers.

Agreed. Pickard would have been a good choice.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I was pretty surprised we didn't put a claim in for Pickard. Also extremely disappointed. Niemi is not a backup for much longer, and we knew that when we signed him. Even wanted it to happen just to gain a decent asset, if nothing else.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think Dumoulin has ever played one game at a #1D level, let alone an entire playoffs.

He technically just played the role of a number 1 (at least from a defensive shutdown perspective) and did it admirably well based on his partner and circumstances. He certainly isn't a number 1
And shouldn't be expected to be for any serious length of time. It's true his fancy stats don't look great, but anyone expecting he Ron Hainsey to have great possession numbers is asking for too much.

The key takeaway for me is that he played a major role in the Pens winning a Cup without their number 1 Dman. It was a crazy rare achievement (winning a cup without a stud number 1 Dman) and is a testament to the whole group, but Dumo and Schultz in particular were major reasons for that success.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
late to this thread, but wow Niemi is beer league goalie bad. He does make a handful of good saves. But he's a complete disaster in net. I'm just shocked that he went from winning a cup as a starter to this.

Perhaps it wasn't just dallas's awful D after all last season ;)

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
5500bf74a14c8.image.jpg

Denis Lemieux is available..he wants to be traded right ******** now.
Well, they did call Detroit...

Honestly, I don't think they would be any worse off with Lemieux in net. Denis or Mario. Doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad