Prospect Info: Lias Andersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
From what I've been reading from posters and you specifically, he sounds like a guy we just traded...Stepan, but younger/faster!

I think he's got a little more moxy to his game. Not so much in a drop the gloves kind of way, but with some swagger. He's got a chippy-ness and he chirps out there. He definitely has an edge.

He might not quite be as naturally offensively inclined as Stepan, but he's a far more complete player than he was at the same stage.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Keeping in mind I haven't seen him as much as some of the European posters on here, my opinion on what I've seen is that his intelligence could potentially lend itself well to playing with elite offensive players.

I think Andersson brings a good amount of offense because he sees the flow of the game well. He positions himself well, knows when to shoot and when to pass. I'll agree with the assessment that I don't think he's a first line guy. I don't think he quite has that top end offensive instinct - particularly a top-level shot. He has good hands, but they're not quite top-end either.

He could, in theory, compliment just about most players because he'll adapt to their skill set. I think his offense depends on his role and would increase with higher skilled players. Ideally, you'd pair him with someone who is a shoot first type of player or a guy who gives him some time to get to the front of the net, because I think his goals are likely going to come from deflections, chip-ins and rebounds.

The bold is a good way of putting it.

When I think of that type of player I think of a guy like Zajac. Not an elite offensive talent but typically can be counted on for at least middle 6 production regardless of his role. But when he's played top line minutes with elite players he's been able to produce legit, if not elite, first line numbers, all while playing a good two way game.

I would love for Andersson to become an offensive dynamo unto himself, but I would definitely settle for a guy who can succeed anywhere in the lineup.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think he's got a little more moxy to his game. Not so much in a drop the gloves kind of way, but with some swagger. He's got a chippy-ness and he chirps out there. He definitely has an edge.

He might not quite be as naturally offensively inclined as Stepan, but he's a far more complete player than he was at the same stage.

I don't see Stepan in him at all either. I think Lias will be better though, and I really loved Step. I see Lias being better offensively and as a 25-35 guy for years, he is also chirpy and chippy as you said. Lias has a much quicker/better shot and although he has very high IQ, it's not as good as Step's (although thats not a slight to Lias, Stepan is elite in the IQ department) Lias is also faster and a better skater than Step. I can admit I am a bit too high on Lias though. The only thing they really have in common is that they are both 2 way C's and have similar offensive upside, much different players

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hehe, Lias actually reminds me a bit of Sid Crosby when he is playing, as much as anyone else.

Of course he don't have a young Sid's afterburners on his skates and so forth, but I like this pick. Think he has a lot of potential.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think all these comparables are premature. Miller was drafted as a Kessler comparable. Turns out they aren't similar players.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He's on pace for a 20g rookie season in my be a gm game playing on the fourth line with Fast and Donskoi, so, you know, that's something.

In all seriousness, I think he'll be a top grade utility guy at the least. A faster, grittier, perhaps less offensively skilled Stepan or a way more offensively skilled Fast kind of player.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think all these comparables are premature. Miller was drafted as a Kessler comparable. Turns out they aren't similar players.

Really? funny, don't remember that. I mainly remember people generally felt Miller was far more likely to be a 3rd line grinder with some OK skills rather than the player he has turned out to be

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
It's lazy since it's just a Swede to Swede comparison. He's really not all that much like Zetterberg.

yeah no. its beyond a swede to swede comparison. its a player to player comparison.

whats lazy is you writing that my saying that is lazy. more minimal thinking and effort posting jon.

he's got a game similar to zetterberg in many ways. i didnt say he was zetterberg.

you can do better than this jon.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Really? funny, don't remember that. I mainly remember people generally felt Miller was far more likely to be a 3rd line grinder with some OK skills rather than the player he has turned out to be

I remember several comparisons to Kesler. Also remember comparisons to Mike Richards. Remember this was 2011. Richards had just scored 60+ in 4 straight seasons in Philly. Kesler had just put up 70+ in 2 straight years. Those comparisons have a different connotation then as opposed to today.

But my point is that I don't think Miller is like either of those players. Honestly, I'm not sure who I consider Miller a comparable to at this stage of his career. Mostly, I think we should all cool it on the comparable discussion. Andersson will be coming into his own in another 5 years, even if he might be NHL ready today. Who knows where his development takes him between now and then?

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Hehe, Lias actually reminds me a bit of Sid Crosby when he is playing, as much as anyone else.

Of course he don't have a young Sid's afterburners on his skates and so forth, but I like this pick. Think he has a lot of potential.

LOL HF has hit its height! Lias Andersson compared to Crosby

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Miller might be one of the few top prospects who people, myself included, under-projected offensively.

I saw him a step below the 20-25 goal, 50-60 point player he has become. I saw more in the 15/45 range.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I remember several comparisons to Kesler. Also remember comparisons to Mike Richards. Remember this was 2011. Richards had just scored 60+ in 4 straight seasons in Philly. Kesler had just put up 70+ in 2 straight years. Those comparisons have a different connotation then as opposed to today.

But my point is that I don't think Miller is like either of those players. Honestly, I'm not sure who I consider Miller a comparable to at this stage of his career. Mostly, I think we should all cool it on the comparable discussion. Andersson will be coming into his own in another 5 years, even if he might be NHL ready today. Who knows where his development takes him between now and then?

My main recollection was of people comparing him to a sort of "rich man's" Dubinsky, though that might have been a year or so after he was drafted. That comparison isn't far off. C/W with an attitude. Miller has the MUCH better shot, but Dubinsky was better at the dot and much better in the playoffs.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
With regards to Miller, people were also writing him off as late as his third professional season. Hopefully people have learned the lesson about different development curves and all that.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I don't remember Kesler's comparisons either but 3C that you refer to was thought as the minimum that should be expected if he continues to progress to become an NHLer. Miller actually fulfilled some of his upside potential that was discussed as 2C or rather top6, since even early there were references that Miller would switch to a wing.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
My main recollection was of people comparing him to a sort of "rich man's" Dubinsky, though that might have been a year or so after he was drafted. That comparison isn't far off. C/W with an attitude. Miller has the MUCH better shot, but Dubinsky was better at the dot and much better in the playoffs.

I remember that too: Dubinsky with more offense.

I used Miller as a reference to a safe pick that was made with a mid-teen pick. To get back to Lias: a safe pick in top10 means more upside and less downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce