Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
So what you're saying is he's Fast, if Fast had any degree of offensive capability?

That's exactly how I view him. If he realizes a reasonable degree of his potential, he'll be Jesper Fast playing centre with a top 6 offensive skillset. I wanted Vilardi or Tippett in that spot, but I'm excited for what this kid could become.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Have a few issues with your post, @Edge

1. Comparisons to Miller and Kreider are... soft. There's a difference between "reaching" or "going safe" at 7OA versus 15OA and 19OA. This is why the established vernacular "first-round" pick is misleading. The first-round is really four different rounds for the most part. 1OA, 2-3, 4-10, everyone else. Generally, binning is bad. Even the "four rounds" thing I just did is bad. Each pick can be classified as it's own value, but the drop-off isn't consistent. The drop from 7 to 15 or 7 to 19 is huge.

2. Why are you ignoring Mittlestadt and Tippet? Two other guys who could've easily been picked at 7 and only focusing on Vilardi?

3. He was the third-ranked Euro skater, but how does that compare to where he was in the grand scheme of things? McKenzie has him at #13 in his aggregated list. Does that matter? I'm not sure. I think Klim Kostin was the #1 ranked Euro skater, right? And he went 31st.

4. It's' not that there was an "obvious, consensus" choice sitting on the board at #7. There very rarely ever is at that point in the draft. But, that doesn't take away from the fact that there were potentially better picks on the board available than LA was.

For all intents and purposes, it seems like the Rangers drafted safe instead of for boom. The chance that LA will be an NHL player, is probably pretty high. At the very least, he'll establish himself as a bottom-6 player. But, does he have that boom potential to ever solidify himself as a first-line center? I have my personal doubts about that.

Meanwhile, you have guys like Mittlestadt, and Tippet, who, IMO, do have that boom potential. But, do they have the same floor that Andersson does? I don't know.

If I was Gorton, I'd have gone Tippet. Give me the shooter all day every day. Kid's played 10 games since being sent back to the OHL and has 56 shots on goal. 5th on the team and he's played at least 14 less games than anyone above him.

Volume shooters and goal scorers. Not safe guys. Safe is death in the draft. You can find quality middle-6 players on the FA market every year. You can't find first-liners all that often.

1. I think it really all comes down to what you view as Andersson's upside. To me, all the conversations begin and end with that basic premise. If you believe he's more of a 20/50 player, it's just fine. If you think he's more of a 15/40 player, you'll probably take issue with it. If you view him as the former, you probably use the word "safe" and likewise you probably use the word "reach" if you don't think the offense is there.

Personally, when we look at his production, in his role, and his team, it doesn't paint a picture of a player who is limited offensively. I still don't see him as a first line center, but I don't see him as a bottom line center either. I think he can very comfortably be a second option who brings more to the table than just offense.

2. I haven't ignored Mittlestadt or Tippet. They weren't in my most recent post because we were discussing Vilardi. However, I've addressed both Middlestat and Tippet in other posts.

3. I believe the point was that he wasn't some player who was completely out of left field.

4. Of course there were. And I don't think anyone has denied that. But I think the people who don't like the LA pick are seriously overstating the upside/odds of some of those other options, while simultaneously (and intentionally) understating the upside of Andersson. In the process, unintentionally perhaps, I think we're almost creating this narrative that there was an obvious pick out there. And there simply wasn't.

For all intents and purposes, it seems to be that people keep equating "safe" as meaning "without skill" and it almost always seems to come back to offense. LA has offensive skill and upside - it just isn't as high as some other options. That doesn't mean it's non-existent. While LA's odds are higher than other guys of playing in the NHL and tapping into the majority of his abilities, it shouldn't be interpreted as being his ONLY attribute.

It's almost as if some people want to create an impossible standard for Andersson, because they just didn't want him picked there.

If he's not going to score 30 goals or 70 points, we don't like that. Nevermind that he very well could score 20/50.

If he doesn't have the highest offensive upside, we don't like that. Nevermind that he doesn't exactly project as Jan Erixon either.

If he has areas in his game he needs to work on, we don't like that. Nevermind that every single player around him has things they are working on.

People were told there was a possibility he could make the NHL, but he didn't. So we don't like that. Nevermind that most of the other kids who "made" the NHL out of camp are already down with their respective junior/overseas clubs.

We talk about going for broke as if we weren't missing a first rounder five years in a row, or as if Andersson is completely devoid of offensive ability. We've turned "safe" into a four a letter word and manipulated it into something it isn't. And we keep beating that drum while ignoring a plethora of other factors - about the player we drafted, and about the ones we didn't.

Yeah, Tippet puts a lot of shots on goal, and he lacks in a number of other areas. He looks like a very impressive junior scorer - and there are a lot of very impressive junior scorers who become journeymen NHL players because they score just enough to stay employed, but don't bring quite enough other elements to be a core player.

Tippet has a shot to be a very good NHL player, and yes, he might be better than Andersson.

And Andersson has a shot to be a very good NHL player, and yes, he might be better than Tippet.

So what happens if Tippet scores 30 goals, 55 points and is a guy who is deployed as an offensive weapon and Anderson scores 20 goals, 50 points but is deployed in all situations? Is 10 goals and 5 points worth more than the overall play? How do we assign values to these things?

I think we base some of these assumptions off the highest upside for a guy like Tippet and the lowest upside for a guy like Andersson. Well, no kidding it's going to look lopsided.

But let's not equate the word "Safe" as being without "skill." There's a fair amount of skill there with LA - including a high hockey IQ, the ability to get into position, adaptability, a good shot, a good frame, two-way awareness and a high compete level.

When people talk about Andersson, they mention an upside similar to guys like O'Reilly or Horvat or other players in that mold. Those guys were seen as "Safe" in their draft years. They've never been mistaken for the most talented player on just about any higher level team they've played for - be it juniors or at the pro level. No one ever projected a point per game pace from them, or saw them as the driving offensive players of their teams.

But yeah, if we're going to take Andersson's low-end projection, and everyone else's high end projections, that's going to paint a pretty unflattering picture for our selection.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
1. I think it really all comes down to what you view as Andersson's upside. To me, all the conversations begin and end with that basic premise. If you believe he's more of a 20/50 player, it's just fine. If you think he's more of a 15/40 player, you'll probably take issue with it. If you view him as the former, you probably use the word "safe" and likewise you probably use the word "reach" if you don't think the offense is there.

Personally, when we look at his production, in his role, and his team, it doesn't paint a picture of a player who is limited offensively. I still don't see him as a first line center, but I don't see him as a bottom line center either. I think he can very comfortably be a second option who brings more to the table than just offense.

2. I haven't ignored Middlestat or Tippet. They weren't in my most recent post because we were discussing Vilardi. However, I've addressed both Middlestat and Tippet in other posts.

3. I believe the point was that he wasn't some player who was completely out of left field.

4. Of course there were. And I don't think anyone has denied that. But I think the people who don't like the LA pick are seriously overstating the upside/odds of some of those other options, while simultaneously (and intentionally) understating the upside of Andersson. In the process, unintentionally perhaps, I think we're almost creating this narrative that there was an obvious pick out there. And there simply wasn't.

For all intents and purposes, it seems to be that people keep equating "safe" as meaning "without skill" and it almost always seems to come back to offense. LA has offensive skill and upside - it just isn't as high as some other options. That doesn't mean it's not existent. While LA's odds are higher than other guys of playing in the NHL and tapping into the majority of his abilities, it shouldn't be interpreted as being his ONLY attribute.

It's almost as if some people want to create an impossible standard for Andersson, because they just didn't want him picked there.

If he's not going to score 30 goals or 70 points, we don't like that. Nevermind that he very well could score 20/50.

If he doesn't have the highest offensive upside, we don't like that. Nevermind that he doesn't exactly project as Jan Erixon either.

If he has areas in his game he needs to work on, we don't like that. Nevermind that every single player around him has things they are working on.

People were told there was a possibility he could make the NHL, but he didn't. So we don't like that. Nevermind that most of the other kids who "made" the NHL out of camp are already down with their respective junior/overseas clubs.

We talk about going for broke as if we weren't missing a first rounder five years in a row, or as if Andersson is completely devoid of offensive ability. We've turned "safe" into a four a letter word and manipulated it into something it isn't. And we keep beating that drum while ignoring a plethora of other factors - about the player we drafted, and about the ones we didn't.

Yeah, Tippet puts a lot of shots on goal, and he lacks in a number of other areas. He looks like a very impressive junior scorer - and there are a lot of very impressive junior scorers who become journeymen NHL players because they score just enough to stay employed, but don't bring quite enough other elements to be a core player.

Tippet has a shot to be a very good NHL player, and yes, he might be better than Andersson.

And Andersson has a shot to be a very good NHL player, and yes, he might be better than Tippet.

So what happens if Tippet scores 30 goals, 55 points and is a guy who is deployed as an offensive weapon and Anderson scores 20 goals, 50 points but is deployed in all situations. Is 10 goals and 5 points worth more than the overall play? How do we assign values to these things?

I think we base some of these assumptions off the highest upside for a guy like Tippet and the lowest upside for a guy like Andersson. Well, no kidding it's going to look lopsided.

But let's not equate the word "Safe" as being without "skill." There's a fair amount of skill there with LA - including a high hockey IQ, the ability to get into position, adaptability, a good shot, a good frame, two-way awareness and a high compete level.

When people talk about Andersson, they mention an upside similar to guys like O'Reilly or Horvat or other players in that mold. Those guys were seen as "Safe" in their draft years. They've never been mistake for the most talented player on just about any higher level team they've played for - be it juniors or at the pro level. No one ever project a point per game pace from them, or saw them as the driving offensive players of their teams.

But yeah, if we're going to take Andersson's low-end projection, and everyone else's high end projections, that's going to paint a pretty unflattering picture for our selection.
Yes, but it works both ways. Using Tippet's or Mittlestadt's floor, and LA's ceiling, or vice versa. More often than not, people have narratives to paint, and they paint them. I'm not saying that's what you were doing, because this is a great post, I don't think it's what I was doing, but I do very much so believe that majority of the posters on this board have a viewpoint, and do what they need to paint that and only that.

My view on the draft is very, very, different than others'. I want BPA, always. I want boom, always. I never want safe.

I do believe that LA maxes out as a 2nd line center, at best.
I do believe that it's all but a guarantee that LA will play in the NHL.

Similarly,

I do believe that Mittlestadt and Tippet have 1st line potential
I do believe that it's less likely a guarantee that CM and OT play in the NHL and stick.

Thus, the conundrum.

Me? I swing for the boom. I can find a middle-6 player in free-agency. I can't find a first-liner there. But, I simultaneously understand why others would not act the same.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yes, but it works both ways. Using Tippet's or Mittlestadt's floor, and LA's ceiling, or vice versa. More often than not, people have narratives to paint, and they paint them. I'm not saying that's what you were doing, because this is a great post, I don't think it's what I was doing, but I do very much so believe that majority of the posters on this board have a viewpoint, and do what they need to paint that and only that.

My view on the draft is very, very, different than others'. I want BPA, always. I want boom, always. I never want safe.

I do believe that LA maxes out as a 2nd line center, at best.
I do believe that it's all but a guarantee that LA will play in the NHL.

Similarly,

I do believe that Mittlestadt and Tippet have 1st line potential
I do believe that it's less likely a guarantee that CM and OT play in the NHL and stick.

Thus, the conundrum.

Me? I swing for the boom. I can find a middle-6 player in free-agency. I can't find a first-liner there. But, I simultaneously understand why others would not act the same.

I'll agree on first line upside for Mittlestadt and Tippet, though I'm not quite sold on the odds. Mittlestadt has a lot of tools, but even now there are times I feel like I'm not seeing the sum of those tools.

Tippet to me is going to rise and fall on his ability to get into areas with high percentage shots. He's not going to go have the time and space he does in juniors and he's not going to be given as much room to just fire away.

But if we go on just upsides, the offensive potential definitely favors Mittlestadt and Tippet. But I don't think that first line vs. second line dynamic is as big as some think, especially when you consider the other elements that Andersson brings.

Don't get me wrong, I can get the desire to go for the home run pick and roll the dice. There's very much a possibility that one or two guys out there are going to have sexier NHL careers than Andersson. You'll never hear my dispute that.

But I also think there's a tendency to downplay Andersson's attributes, especially his offense, because he doesn't project as a top-end offensive threat. In doing so, that narrative starts to take on a life of it's own.

What makes Andersson a particularly interesting prospect is his approach to the game. He's not overly reliant on skills and so he gets himself into positions to be successful. We shouldn't necessarily underestimate that ability, especially when paired with what is still a very good skill set.

Andersson's top end isn't just some bottom six plug-in player. It's a core player who you have on the ice in crucial situations, can pair with offensive players or defensive players and play in just about any situation.

I think he's going to bring a good amount of offense. I just don't think it's going to be his defining characteristic.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Why are we even talking about Tippett? If we wanted a goalscoring winger then we should be mad about not taking Tolvanen who is better in every way then Tippett. Like... _everyone_ knew that Tolvanen had (and has) the best shot in the 2017 draft class and it's not even close...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Why are we even talking about Tippett? If we wanted a goalscoring winger then we should be mad about not taking Tolvanen who is better in every way then Tippett. Like... _everyone_ knew that Tolvanen had (and has) the best shot in the 2017 draft class and it's not even close...
Maybe we should be? Why did he drop to 30th?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Everyone is always trying to find those core, do-it-all types - be it Brind'Amour, Drury, Toews, O'Reilly, Horvat.

I think the Rangers are hoping Andersson can be that "type" of player, or fill that "type" of role on their roster.

I think that was the selling point for them over guys who are flashier on offense.

Whether LA becomes that type of player for the Rangers remains to be seen, but I think an understanding of that is crucial to at least understand where the Rangers were/are coming from.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
7th OA is never a guarantee of a Super Star player. Yes, those players can be found in later rounds. But, how many teams waste 1st rounders on players that never even sniff NHL ice?

Would you guys really be THAT upset if Andersson topped out as a Center version of Jere Lehtinen?

If Gorton and Staff's game plan was to swing for the fences with #21, by drafting Chytil early. Can you blame them if the felt Andersson was the safest pick at 7th OA with all their knowledge telling them they will wind up with a player of Lehtinen's caliber for sure?

The value in Andersson was him being perceived as a "sure thing", what that sure thing is, is a matter of evaluation and opinion by those who are paid boat loads based on their life long experiences in talent evaluation.

Getting a Getzlaf and Perry in the 1st round of the same draft is a miracle fluke. I think when all is said and done, in retrospect, most will say 2017 was a hell of a draft year for NYR.

With that said. I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket either. If I'm GM I stay the course and try to land one more blue chip pick/prospect at C in the next 2 seasons or next draft.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Just read in the building thread that Brooks mentions Lehtinen. That was purely coincidence on my part. Anyone have a link to the article?

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
The discussion between the 2 sides is pointless at this moment. We will see if anyone if right next year, or even after that.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
You don't get Ryan O'Reilly, Brindamour, Drury types with the 7th overall pick. You get those guys in the second round or late in the first. You don't reach for a guy like that and even then they are still few and far between. Why use the 7th overall on that kind of gamble when you can gamble on a first line offensive player? I always saw Toews as a bit of a reach at 3rd overall despite him winning those cups. He is an all purpose center but not great offensively. I think he benefits from playing with the greatest offensive American player of all time in Patrick Kane. He really carries that team and shields Toews throughout his career in having to put that load on his back.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
You don't get Ryan O'Reilly, Brindamour, Drury types with the 7th overall pick. You get those guys in the second round or late in the first. You don't reach for a guy like that and even then they are still few and far between. Why use the 7th overall on that kind of gamble when you can gamble on a first line offensive player? I always saw Toews as a bit of a reach at 3rd overall despite him winning those cups. He is an all purpose center but not great offensively. I think he benefits from playing with the greatest offensive American player of all time in Patrick Kane. He really carries that team and shields Toews throughout his career in having to put that load on his back.

I don't know why I bother with you, but with this logic Toews is a bad pick at 3.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

With this rationale, teams should never draft a goalie until the 7th round

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Maybe the silliest post I've read in the last month. Bravo--every once in a while we could all use a laugh.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
This is just ridiculous. I don't think a single Blackhwaks fan agrees with this sentiment. If Andersson becomes half the player that Toews is/was this team would be estatic. A player like Toews is the type of guy that is the foundation of Stanley Cup teams, and if Andersson is ever even close to that I'm more than pleased we used the #7 pick on him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

P/GP among centers since Toews joined the league:

upload_2017-12-6_10-16-40.png

But sure, Toews is "not great offensively" hahaha. In the playoffs he's 10th in that same timespan.

upload_2017-12-6_10-17-54.png

Saying Toews isn't great offensively is just ridiculous. Sure, his production has dipped a bit in recent years but aside from 2015-16 he has been on pace for 60+ points each season. Toews was a reach at 3OA? Hilarious.

Reactions: TheBPA and darko

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

I'll take Drury and Brind'amour every single time whatever the pick # is.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Rod Brind'amour was the 9th overall pick of the 1988 draft.

Chris Drury and ROR would be easy first round picks if teams had a chance to do over the 1994 and 2009 drafts.

Toews is arguably the first overall pick in 2006 if the draft were done over. He's the captain and a core player on three Stanley Cup winning teams.

In today's NHL, team's want those overall players that set the tone for their teams. They're looking for the next O'Reilly, Drury, Horvat, or Huberdeau. They're really hoping they hit the jackpot to find the next Toews or Bergeron. Those players have never been at more of a premium than in today's NHL. It's why they sign the contracts they do, it's why teams are always trying to find someone like them, it's why they receive offer sheets.

Yes, you need high end scorers and you're always looking at talent. But not every guy you draft has to be a guy you project as your leading scorer either.

Sometimes you're looking for the guy who is talented enough to be in the mix, but more of the gel that brings the different skill sets together. That's what the Rangers hope for in Andersson.

No one can guarantee he'll actually become that player, and frankly, I'm not sure anyone on here has tried to make that bold of a statement.

But the type of player he is, and the context in which he was selected, is not out of line or far-fetched.

It might not work out. There might be better players taken after Andersson. But the scenario itself isn't an unusual concept.

I think those last three or four points are really what this conversation has evolved into at this point. It's really less about projection, so much as it is context.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Hell, the other comparable player you named is Bo Horvat who went 9th. These narratives around Andersson are just asinine.

Reactions: Miamipuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad