Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm amazed this discussion is still ongoing. Kid almost made the team and is now doing well in the SHL at 19. I understood why the Jessiman and McIlrath discussions went on endlessly, but this is kinda ridiculous at this point.

I agree. Can we just stop this nonsense PLEASE????!!! Many poster ignore ridiculous repeated proposals in the roster thread. Why can't we do the same here? Why do we need to continue post logical retorts if they are immediately ignored with more nonsense???

Reactions: nyr2k2

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You don't get Ryan O'Reilly, Brindamour, Drury types with the 7th overall pick. You get those guys in the second round or late in the first. You don't reach for a guy like that and even then they are still few and far between. Why use the 7th overall on that kind of gamble when you can gamble on a first line offensive player? I always saw Toews as a bit of a reach at 3rd overall despite him winning those cups. He is an all purpose center but not great offensively. I think he benefits from playing with the greatest offensive American player of all time in Patrick Kane. He really carries that team and shields Toews throughout his career in having to put that load on his back.
Getting any one of those guys with a 7OA would have been an absolute steal hands down. They were all first line offensive players for long stretches of their careers.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Brind'amour might be best all around player that I've ever watched.

Also one of the ugliest.

Reactions: 045NYR

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Veleno reminds me a lot of Ricci.

Like Ricci, I don't know if the high-end NHL offense is there as it was originally thought to be, but he plays a great overall game.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Are you talking about ugliness or all around play? Because as good as Ricci was at defensive play, Brind’amour was just as good and put up an average of 20 more points per 82.

Ugliness, sorry. I do think Ricci was criminally underrated, but Brind'Amour was clearly superior across careers.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Are you talking about ugliness or all around play? Because as good as Ricci was at defensive play, Brind’amour was just as good and put up an average of 20 more points per 82.

87c8eae13397d85468165fa291b8a6e2--shark-tank-hockey-players.jpg

Reactions: CenturionOne

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just as an example if we were to redo the 2011 draft Ryan O'Reilly would probably be in the top 10. Saying he's a 2nd round type of player is just crap. The top three would be Tavares, Hedman and Ekman-Larsson. After that choose between Duchene, Brayden Schenn, Kadri, Ellis, Leddy, Kreider, Hoffman, Orlov, Anders Lee, Barrie, Palmieri, Ekholm, Evander Kane, Johansson and O'Reilly and I'm thinking O'Reilly goes before a bunch of those guys.

Reactions: haveandare

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I come to this thread to read about LA Sweden's apparent career projections famine.

You take yer Mike Ricci babe threads and GIT OUT!

Reactions: Mac n Gs

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Rod Brind'amour was the 9th overall pick of the 1988 draft.

Chris Drury and ROR would be easy first round picks if teams had a chance to do over the 1994 and 2009 drafts.

Toews is arguably the first overall pick in 2006 if the draft were done over. He's the captain and a core player on three Stanley Cup winning teams.

In today's NHL, team's want those overall players that set the tone for their teams. They're looking for the next O'Reilly, Drury, Horvat, or Huberdeau. They're really hoping they hit the jackpot to find the next Toews or Bergeron. Those players have never been at more of a premium than in today's NHL. It's why they sign the contracts they do, it's why teams are always trying to find someone like them, it's why they receive offer sheets.

Yes, you need high end scorers and you're always looking at talent. But not every guy you draft has to be a guy you project as your leading scorer either.

Sometimes you're looking for the guy who is talented enough to be in the mix, but more of the gel that brings the different skill sets together. That's what the Rangers hope for in Andersson.

No one can guarantee he'll actually become that player, and frankly, I'm not sure anyone on here has tried to make that bold of a statement.

But the type of player he is, and the context in which he was selected, is not out of line or far-fetched.

It might not work out. There might be better players taken after Andersson. But the scenario itself isn't an unusual concept.

I think those last three or four points are really what this conversation has evolved into at this point. It's really less about projection, so much as it is context.

You've actually made the most compelling argument of why he was worth the 7th overall pick than anyone in here. People seem to think that people are just trashing this kid. No one is trashing this kid, we are trashing the fact this kid was a REACH due to his skillset and being picked as high as he was when more talent was available. Something the Rangers have always done in the top ten since I have been a fan. 30+ years. That is why I am not crazy about this pick. Especially because this kid does not pass the eye test any time I've seen him play and has no special skill that jumps out at you. He is not a Chris Drury level player as some here make him out to be. My argument is, he may still not reach that all purpose 2 center potential everyone says you need to win. And why take that gamble when you can draft an offensive player who could be more of an impact player to your teams success?

Either way what's done is done and he has the luck that we absolutely STOLE Chytil later in the round.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
You've actually made the most compelling argument of why he was worth the 7th overall pick than anyone in here. People seem to think that people are just trashing this kid. No one is trashing this kid, we are trashing the fact this kid was a REACH due to his skillset and being picked as high as he was when more talent was available. Something the Rangers have always done in the top ten since I have been a fan. 30+ years. That is why I am not crazy about this pick. Especially because this kid does not pass the eye test any time I've seen him play and has no special skill that jumps out at you. He is not a Chris Drury level player as some here make him out to be. My argumeu cant is, he may still not reach that all purpose 2 center potential everyone says you need to win. And why take that gamble when yon draft an offensive player who could be more of an impact player to your teams success?

Either way what's done is done and he has the luck that we absolutely STOLE Chytil later in the round.
Because having a strong 2 way all purpose center is more important to winning Stanley cups than flashy goal scorers. Having a mixture of both is key, but for tight playoff games a 2 way center who can do it all areas of the ice is 1000 times more important

Reactions: belford222

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Because having a strong 2 way all purpose center is more important to winning Stanley cups than flashy goal scorers. Having a mixture of both is key, but for tight playoff games a 2 way center who can do it all areas of the ice is 1000 times more important
Except we LACK GOAL SCORERS in case you haven't noticed! We lack elite offensive players and have plenty of second and third liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille