Let's talk some Granlund - Part 2 Grandboogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Evidence:

http://www.whyanything.co/blog/thin...aceoffs-and-zone-starts-for-in-game-strategy/

https://puckplusplus.com/2015/01/15...rts-matter-i-maybe-not-as-much-as-we-thought/

https://puckplusplus.com/2015/01/20...-lot-on-their-own-not-that-much-in-aggregate/

While each individual adjustment factor seems to be quite large when compared to the On-The-Fly weights, after we apply these factors to each player’s seasonal results from the past 5 years we see that the effect of the adjustment is small for most of the league: 80% of the players saw their numbers move up or down by less than 0.5%, and only 79 of 3275 qualifying players showed a delta either way of more than 1%.

Explanation:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=125845231&postcount=123

OZNZDZFaceoffs.jpg

It was proven a long time ago that zone starts, statistically, don't do a ****ing thing. But everyone likes their narratives and actual results be damned.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, have you looked at the raw numbers?

289 offensive zone starts.

287 defensive zone starts.

If you think those two zone starts affected his corsi in any way...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You realize that there are other ways to get players for free than waivers, right? You can sign a comparable player to Granlund any day of the week in the summer.

Sure they might be a few years older, but age means nothing unless Granlund turns into something better than what you can get on the UFA market and so far he hasn't come close. And if they were stuck on age, they could've signed a 25 year old like Marchessault (scoring at a 27 goal 54 point pace with the same minutes as Granlund) or even a 24 year old Connolly who is scoring goals at a higher rate than Granund with only 11 minutes of ice time and no PP.

Ya. Gillis could have signed Tyler Johnson and drafted Brandon Saad, and Trocheck in 2011. In a span of months the Canucks could have had a new core to supplement the aging core. They were available.

It's so easy to play the coulda shoulda game. Would Granlund have been available on waivers? Anyone remember how well he played at training camp? He plays like that and he makes the roster of a lot of teams. But no... we have to still sit here and hear the same old arguments hashed out as if Shinkaruk wasn't a declining asset that would soon be available on waivers.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Also, have you looked at the raw numbers?

289 offensive zone starts.

287 defensive zone starts.

If you think those two zone starts affected his corsi in any way...

That's fine. Nice straw man though considering YOU are the one who mentioned zone starts on the last page. I just proved your comment wrong.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Ya. Gillis could have signed Tyler Johnson and drafted Brandon Saad, and Trocheck in 2011. In a span of months the Canucks could have had a new core to supplement the aging core. They were available.

It's so easy to play the coulda shoulda game. Would Granlund have been available on waivers? Anyone remember how well he played at training camp? He plays like that and he makes the roster of a lot of teams. But no... we have to still sit here and hear the same old arguments hashed out as if Shinkaruk wasn't a declining asset that would soon be available on waivers.

If you don't understand the difference between drafting future 1st liners in the 2nd round and beyond compared to signing a 25-30 point forward in the summer then I really don't know what to say.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why present this as an argument if you believe zone starts don't matter?

Weird.

Because people say he's sheltered and it's easier to explain to people that he's just not than to explain why sheltering doesn't matter that much to begin with.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i think the only thing that matters is that i predict he will not be a very good player moving forward. i conclude this with a combination of his ice time and situation, his history and what i've seen if him when he plays

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
i think the only thing that matters is that i predict he will not be a very good player moving forward. i conclude this with a combination of his ice time and situation, his history and what i've seen if him when he plays
Doesn't seem to add up tho. Passes eye test once every 8 games

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
If you don't understand the difference between drafting future 1st liners in the 2nd round and beyond compared to signing a 25-30 point forward in the summer then I really don't know what to say.

Who is the 25-30 point player you are talking about.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Who is the 25-30 point player you are talking about.

I wasn't really referring to anyone specifically. Just any of the multitude of players who can put up 25-30 points with 3rd line minutes who are available every year for nothing. Marchessault and Connolly were just a couple of examples that several people on here identified last offseason.

Joona

Feb 21, 2013
Hi guys. Can someone explain to me why is Granlund so hated here? He´s earning 900k / year and he has scored 19 goals in this year (i know, with big minutes and mostly playing at 1st/2nd line). I´ve browsed some GDTs on this board and almost everytime no matter what granlund is mentioned why he´s useless/AHL material etc.. What am i missing? Is he the reason really why Vancouver is where it stands at the moment? :speechles

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Hi guys. Can someone explain to me why is Granlund so hated here? He´s earning 900k / year and he has scored 19 goals in this year (i know, with big minutes and mostly playing at 1st/2nd line). I´ve browsed some GDTs on this board and almost everytime no matter what granlund is mentioned why he´s useless/AHL material etc.. What am i missing? Is he the reason really why Vancouver is where it stands at the moment? :speechles
He plays too much because we don't really have many options on wings cause we suck.
Plus Shinkaruk is still the next big star for some posters

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hes not, its literally 2 posters

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I don't think anyone hates him.

The informed posters hate that we gave up an asset for him. Others gush over his 19 goals this year while ignoring the context (his massive amount of ice-time that he's received, his linemates/deployment, his unsustainable high shooting percentage, his very low ES points/60, his very poor defensive play, etc.)

If people would stop overrating him I doubt there would be much discussion over such an irrelevant player.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

The ongoing dispute about Granlund is a proxy battle between those who support the current regime and those who want the regime fired. That explains the polarization and the extreme statements on each side. There's also a significant overlap with the pro and anti advanced stats debate, which is also polarized.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I don't think anyone hates him.

The informed posters hate that we gave up an asset for him. Others gush over his 19 goals this year while ignoring the context (his massive amount of ice-time that he's received, his linemates/deployment, his unsustainable high shooting percentage, his very low ES points/60, his very poor defensive play, etc.)

If people would stop overrating him I doubt there would be much discussion over such an irrelevant player.
All I've seen so far is that people are happy that's he's producing at a good pace consider he's paid 900k.
Also claiming that the trade looks like a win so far.
Tell me who actually overrated him?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The ongoing dispute about Granlund is a proxy battle between those who support the current regime and those who want the regime fired. That explains the polarization and the extreme statements on each side. There's also a significant overlap with the pro and anti advanced stats debate, which is also polarized.

benning gave up on shinkaruk quite early. those who did not like or trust benning gave him no benefit of the doubt on that decision.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
All I've seen so far is that people are happy that's he's producing at a good pace consider he's paid 900k.
Also claiming that the trade looks like a win so far.
Tell me who actually overrated him?

Except he's not producing at a good pace, considering the ice-time he receives.

And no, the trade doesn't look like a win, given the context that I stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad