Post-Game Talk: Let's Talk Domingue aka The Dominator

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I, For One, Welcome Our New Domingue Overlord.

All hail Domingue the Merciless!

Hard to judge his AHL career, i think, because of the team he played on. He only really had one bad season, if you are going by numbers, and he really hasnt played the amount of a #1 goaltender.

Agreed.

Louie is not a world-beater but he's competent, and as Ilya Bryzgalov and Mike Smith have shown us, if a goalie can play competently in our system, he will look like a world-beater.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
All hail Domingue the Merciless!

Someone photoshop a mask, glove, and blocker onto this:

853982-ming.jpg

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Duclair and Domi both had real quiet games.

Still, I'm not sure Mike Smith has a job when he's healthy.

It's Tippett, so Smith will get his starting role back. Also, Tippett will probably play Lindback in the next game since Domingue "didn't win" (not that he could have done anything about it)

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Tippett will probably play Lindback in the next game since Domingue "didn't win" (not that he could have done anything about it)

He's not the only coach that can't manage his lineup.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's Tippett, so Smith will get his starting role back. Also, Tippett will probably play Lindback in the next game since Domingue "didn't win" (not that he could have done anything about it)

DT said you play until you lose. Nothing wrong with that.

He's not the only coach that can't manage his lineup.

Yeah, your right and the coaches are wrong. Don't quite think so.:shakehead

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Tip has not asked me, but here's how he should play it. When Smith returns he is #1, Dom is #1.5. Lindback should be waived.

Smith starts unless he starts playing poorly. Decision should not be based on win/loss, but actual performance in net.

Last 3 games we've scored 3 goals...can't put any of that on Dom or Lindy.

Jersey game we played well IMO...puck just didn't go in..Schneider stole one.

No need to panic...the rebuild is progressing nicely.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Tippett has no reason to immediately move Smith to #1. He will need reconditioning. He will need practice. He will need to be eased into the line up and by the time he's really ready to be the every day goalie we will hopefully be in the playoffs, which is no time to change goalies.

It will be relatively easy to kick this can down the road if Domingue continues to shine.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Tippett has no reason to immediately move Smith to #1. He will need reconditioning. He will need practice. He will need to be eased into the line up and by the time he's really ready to be the every day goalie we will hopefully be in the playoffs, which is no time to change goalies.

It will be relatively easy to kick this can down the road if Domingue continues to shine.

LD is playing well, agreed.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Don't want to jinx it, but he's having a hell of a game tonight.....looks so confident and comfortable.

By the way, anyone else love his full time retro logo mask?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
By the way, anyone else love his full time retro logo mask?

Yup. Kinda funny to see too considering he would have been like 10 years old the last time those things were a regular. Guess he just likes it, which makes him a distinguished and classy person :D

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Is Louis D. eligible for Calder Trophy?

Yes, but he'd have to play the rest of the games and put up like a top 3 in the league sv percentage with arz making playoffs to get a nomination probably. This year's rookie crop is the strongest in years.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Off topic of Lou but can Smith be sent to the AHL for a conditioning stint??

He's a full NMC, so he can't be waived, but I do believe he can be sent down temporarily for a conditioning stint if he's coming off an injury. Mouser would probably know the correct answer to this.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He's a full NMC, so he can't be waived, but I do believe he can be sent down temporarily for a conditioning stint if he's coming off an injury. Mouser would probably know the correct answer to this.

The player has to agree to it.

Feb 12, 2003
All I can say is that I hope Smitty is the backup to Lou when he comes back. You know Tip will give Smith a chance to ease back into the lineup. Tip always says he's going to do what gives him the best shot to win, lets see if his logic is consistent when Smith comes back because it's hard to argue sitting Lou after this run.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
If Loui keeps this up, Smith being expendable is certainly an option. Don't know who's going to be interested in picking up Smith, but if injuries occur, doubt we'd get much, but would be okay with that too.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If Loui keeps this up, Smith being expendable is certainly an option. Don't know who's going to be interested in picking up Smith, but if injuries occur, doubt we'd get much, but would be okay with that too.

Lets say LD is our starter next year. We would still want/need a veteran back up goalie. If we buy out Smith, the cost of a decent back up might be equal to the difference between a buy out and Smith's contract. If thats the case, I think Smith is a good back up goalie for the same total dollars we would pay to but him out and sign somebody decent. I don't see us going with 2 goalies under 25 either.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Louie with 16 GP is now "qualified" in NHL Goaltenders stats. He's tied for 5th in Save % at .931 and tied for 7th in GAA at 2.08.

Smith is 43rd (out of 44 qualified) in Save % and 41st in GAA. Lindback 42nd in Save % and 44th in GAA.

If Louie continues this trend and the Coyotes make the playoffs, the extra playoff revenue can go towards buying out Smith.

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Lets say LD is our starter next year. We would still want/need a veteran back up goalie. If we buy out Smith, the cost of a decent back up might be equal to the difference between a buy out and Smith's contract. If thats the case, I think Smith is a good back up goalie for the same total dollars we would pay to but him out and sign somebody decent. I don't see us going with 2 goalies under 25 either.

You can't have Smith as the backup, these types of situations always go bad <<see vancouver>>

They've got to move him or buy him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad