Lets talk about William Nylander.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I was just about to post the exact same thing

bench willi for Koma, seeing how many PKs we have to deal with and next to no PP time, 3 total PPs in the last 3 games combined?

Then rethink things if there is a game 7

maybe a benching brings out a "hero game" for #7.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
After seeing Brown replacing Nylander on Matthews line, I'm ready to admit that Nylander has been bad. Brown was so much more effective and I'm not even a big fan of him or Hyman.

Nylander's been okay, he just looks more like an average 3rd liner that can chip in with some offense and not much else right now rather than a guy deserving top pairing minutes. He's basically a JVR right now.

Reactions: 99664987

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
Maybe he is playing injured or something? He isn't skating well out there at all

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
seeing all these young players, i think the one thing that nylander lacks is that killer instinct.

Take Pastrnak for example, similar build, skill, shot, skating etc... but he goes out there with a mission, he wont be stopped, he drives hard to the net, takes the punishment to make plays etc... and is a much better player for it.

Nylander needs to stop being an outside player and take a bit of beating to make offensives and defensive plays.

Reactions: Ulysses31

BigTMLfan

Apr 6, 2014
Nylander has been a ghost. The funniest part will be if his team even dares to try to ask for Pasternak money in offseason. LOL like how dare you even try! the pathetic thing is you know thats what they are going to be seeking. It's more evident now more than ever that they will be bridging Nylander.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Marner has been playing better than nykander AND Matthews but 5 games isn’t enough to say anything like that
How about the entire season since Marner escaped the fourth line fiasco? I remember some graphic about how he had something like top-10 league-wide offensive production numbers since that ridiculousness.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
People should give there heads a shake

Nylander is a bloody talented kid going through a tough patch, it happens

Marner struggled last post season and has been our best player this season

Doing stupid **** like trading or bridging him because of this post season is completely insane

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Marner is cementing himself as a better player than Willy, unless Willy can move to center and provide similar results. But, this is more due to the level Mitch is reaching than a knock on Nylander. Or, that is how I'll view it in my glass half full approach.

I've always liked Marner's game more and preferred him as a prospect. So far they've been equal most of their careers so far in the NHL with Willy being a year older. Mitch has started to separate himself since he moved with Kadri though.

Willy might actually be the better 5v5 player, but Marner is quickly emerging as a top 10 PP player in the league which is making him an elite player. I can't think of many guys I'd prefer running a PP from the half wall than him in the NHL. It is very reminiscent of Claude Giroux.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I
That's kind of interesting now that you mention it.

How come Nylander finally drives to the net ... when he plays with Kadri?

Is Kadri a scary teammate? Does being on the same line as him, scare the kids into going into the danger areas, because you do not want the guy who fought Joe Thorton and pulled off his beard mad at you?

Put Marner on Kadri's line and Marner starts driving to the net on a regular basis. Put Nylander on Kadri's line and Nylander actually drove to the net.

Kind of like that crosscheck tap to the helmet of Debrusk after he tried to run Kadri through the boards. It was funny, and more irritating than anything for the opponent.

But it is also a warning. That is Nazeem Kadri.

:naughty:
I think having a guy like Kadri on your line keeps the other team's defenders honest. All three of Matthews, Nylander, and Marner, refrain from hitting so when you put two of them together with a guy like Brown or Hyman, other defenders aren't concerned about being plastered into the boards on the forecheck. Add Kadri's hitting into the mix and defenders start playing the Leaf forecheck a little more honestly. We needed more of this element from Leo this year too...

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I love nylander, still feel like he’s going to bet a star but it annoys me how Pasternak has been leaps and bounds better than him.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Willy didn't look good on boston's 2nd goal tonight...him and Gardiner just left the bruin's player wide open infront of Andy for the one-timer into the corner...a really bad goal to let in late in the 2nd period.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The Bruins rough style forces Nylander out of his comfort zone. We somehow get by Boston and his game will be better suited against Tampa.

He needs to come out and play in the playoffs...these are the playoffs...you can't pick and choose when to show up.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Nylander is gonna be a star pn another team who will beat leafs in the playoffs.

Do people who watch hockey actally understand the game and the psycology behind?

No heart... dont care...

I call bull the size of a bluewhale.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I think the Bruins counteract what Nylander can bring pretty effectively.

If this was Tampa Bay he would have a lot more space out there.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
People should give there heads a shake

Nylander is a bloody talented kid going through a tough patch, it happens

Marner struggled last post season and has been our best player this season

Doing stupid **** like trading or bridging him because of this post season is completely insane

Marner had MONO last year in the playoffs.

Nylander is a tier below Marner. All based on compete level. Nylander basically quit for 80% of the series. He is intimidated and has no inner passion to dominate or make an impression on the game. He goes thru these strectches of being completely disengaged. Matthews had 2 workers on his line and Matthews came to play was energized. Nylander elevates Matthews when Nylander decides to play. His puck carrying skills, shot, skating etc opens the ice for Matthews. This series he seems like a negative anchor on Matthews wing. No chance Nylander goes beside Matthews for the rest of this series.

Is Nylander reliable? No.
Is Nylander a passionate player that digs in when playoffs come around? No.
Do Leafs management want to watch Nylander underachieve for his whole career based on how he is wired? No.

Nylander has more tools at his disposal than Marner but his INNER DESIRE is so much farther below Marner that Marner is by far the more valuable player for this Leafs team. Compete level that Marner has makes him very reliable and trusted from team-mates, coaches, GM etc. Marner went to dirty areas tonight, under sized in every battle and gets knocked over 6-7 times but never refused to keep trying. Nylander wouldnt be caught dead doing this, showing a passion and desire. That same fire Marner is going after the puck with is the same desire he has when he is carrying the puck looking to break the defense down. It is so frustrating to watch Nylander not be dangerous and put pressure on Boston with his skill. Nylander's is playing like he couldnt care less if they win or not, i dont know how can he can look at the coach and tell him that his desire to win is big.

Last edited:

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Nylander? A total wuss, like I said.

A pretty boy with beautiful blonde hair (much like Sundin was!) - but oh my, how they turned out differently ;)

Jokes aside: a young, unprepared kid.

Totally and utterly unprepared for what was coming in the playoffs.

A little too soft, too quiet, too scared. This series will do him good. It's experience he needs more so than the other guys on his team it seems.

It's so early. There are years ahead for him to grow and prosper. What is he, 19?

This Leafs "rebuild' is only in, what, its second year?

Come back to us in another 3 years at minimum to see where it's at.

This year isn't the cup year; any proper fan knows that.

2 or 3 years from now, and this team should be making a serious impact, but not until then. This is just another teaser year and all you unrealistic fans are in for another letdown whether it's this round or the next. Seasoned fans have seen this before and can see that this is an early exit; a round 1 or 2 exit to be exact. But it is only going to get better overall with the way this team is trending.

Last edited:
Reactions: definedMF

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Nylander is a tier below Marner. All based on compete level. Nylander basically quit for 80% of the series. He is intimidated and has no inner passion to dominate or make an impression on the game. He goes thru these strectches of being completely disengaged. Matthews had 2 workers on his line and Matthews came to play was energized. Nylander elevates Matthews when Nylander decides to play. His puck carrying skills, shot, skating etc opens the ice for Matthews. This series he seems like a negative anchor on Matthews wing. No chance Nylander goes beside Matthews for the rest of this series.

Do Leafs management want to watch Nylander underachieve for his whole career based on how he is wired? No.

Nylander has more tools at his disposal than Marner but his INNER DESIRE is so much farther below Marner that Marner is by far the more valuable player for this Leafs team. Compete level that Marner has makes him very reliable and trusted from team-mates, coaches, GM etc. Marner went to dirty areas tonight, under sized in every battle and gets knocked over 6-7 times but never refused to keep trying. Nylander wouldnt be caught dead doing this, showing a passion and desire. That same fire Marner is going after the puck with is the same desire he has when he is carrying the puck looking to break the defense down. It is so frustrating to watch Nylander not be dangerous and put pressure on Boston with his skill. Nylander's is playing like he couldnt care less if they win or not, i dont know how can he can look at the coach and tell him that his desire to win is big.

These are all easily fixable problems when all is said and done.

But the problems are very real - he's just not showing the heart and desire, and it's frustrating to watch.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

To be fair to Nylander, we have absolutely no idea what anyone is trying or is playing through at this point. We didn't find out about Marner until post being knocked out. I'm not saying its likely or what is happening, but for all we know, Willy could be playing through something that is making him avoid contact. In general, he has battled harder and improved that over his time as a Leaf. It may just be the Chara factor but there could also be something to it.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I could have sworn The kid stepped up when his country needed him recently at the world champs and played really well with Matthew's in last year's playoffs

Doesn't exactly scream underachiever with zero passion now does it?

He's going through a rough stretch, it happens and there's no way I'm giving up on a 21 year old 60 point forward that weve drafted and developed because of 5 ******* games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad