OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
things to think about.
millions have quit the $5 per hour jobs, just to get them back you have to go 15+ this will lower your profits and lower your stock.
any company that runs on a union with a new contract due, you can bet the union will ask for millions because the stock prices are sky high and they want to cash in also. ( but ) as they get a huge contract = lower stock and the contract last 3-5 years forcing down the stock more.
Biden will start to fix the tax balance again forcing the stock down as the big boys PAY TAXES.
Interest rates MUST go up to slow the inflation, stocks go down.
we all know the market is overvalued and way way due for a correction.
the market HATES politics, and unstable markets.
you as a home investor will never get the sell info ahead of all the BIG investors, buy the time you hear the correction has started you already lost 20% and diving by the minute.
and lets not FORGET the Covid effect that has not slowed down and all costs related ( trillions) MUST hit the dollar value forcing many imported raw materials to jump way up and in turn forcing down pure profit and again lower stock evaluations.
I can go on and on but I think you get the picture by now.
She’s going to pop. There is no doubt about it. What is hard to know is how long can the can be kicked. It should’ve popped by now imo. Can it be postponed another year and we see new ATH throughout 2022, I don’t think so, but who the f*** knows. That makes timing the market impossible, but what you can do is position yourself in a way to have liquid cash for when it happens. There is no doubt it is happening imo.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
She’s going to pop. There is no doubt about it. What is hard to know is how long can the can be kicked. It should’ve popped by now imo. Can it be postponed another year and we see new ATH throughout 2022, I don’t think so, but who the f*** knows. That makes timing the market impossible, but what you can do is position yourself in a way to have liquid cash for when it happens. There is no doubt it is happening imo.
It has already started. Nothing I can do now

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It has already started. Nothing I can do now
Just a small blip today, but we shall see if the trend continues. I don’t try to time it. I do dollar cost averaging with my crypto and try to save a bit of cash for a good dip, but no one knows when that will be.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Just a small blip today, but we shall see if the trend continues. I don’t try to time it. I do dollar cost averaging with my crypto and try to save a bit of cash for a good dip, but no one knows when that will be.
What do you consider a good dip, ETH and BTC are down 12-14 % in 2022 and ETH is down over 20% in 30 days.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
What do you consider a good dip, ETH and BTC are down 12-14 % in 2022 and ETH is down over 20% in 30 days.
I’ve been through enough dips that 20% swings over 30 days don’t phase me too much. I’ve bought from 65k all the way down to 53. Wouldn’t phase me too much if it returned to 12k US tbh. The only regret I’ll have is that I didn’t sell to accumulate more coins. I buy at any price point, but if it hits 40-45k CAD I’ll up my contribution a bit.

Reactions: Perrah

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I thought big crash was here after rough start this morning. Good to see it comeback. Quite a scare though

Tomorrow I am going to make one of biggest decision in my life. I could sell off tomorrow, be set for life.. Say f it get the cash now . Or stay in?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I thought big crash was here after rough start this morning. Good to see it comeback. Quite a scare though

Tomorrow I am going to make one of biggest decision in my life. I could sell off tomorrow, be set for life.. Say f it get the cash now . Or stay in?
Dude I think Rocky waters are ahead, but don’t make life altering decisions based on my feelings. You need to assess the situation and minimize your risk and weigh that with your risk tolerance. I think having some cash on hand now is a good idea, but I’m not suggesting you should selloff your portfolio. This could easily turn around and start turning in all time highs again. I’m saying I expect a huge correction, but who knows. This could drag on another year, maybe two.

Reactions: japhi

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

If you have made enough to be set for life then your upmost priority should be wealth preservation. If you still want to go after gains then at the very least put aside enough into defensible positions (diversified ETF’s, etc.). Use only a smaller portion for over performance gains, like say 25% (or less) of your portfolio.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

If you'd be set for life... then why not be ?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Why not sell a portion and keep some chips on the table? The post Covid recovery should be good, for a while anyways.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
If you have made enough to be set for life then your upmost priority should be wealth preservation. If you still want to go after gains then at the very least put aside enough into defensible positions (diversified ETF’s, etc.). Use only a smaller portion for over performance gains, like say 25% (or less) of your portfolio.
Absolutely this.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
If you'd be set for life... then why not be ?

Greed I suppose and I'm not even saying that as a shot at him. We're all guilty of it to an extent.

When I started getting into stocks at beginning of 2020 I wanted to make a few bucks. I thought why not make a few thousand? Then that number became larger and larger and larger. I still haven't sold. Maybe I'll pay for it but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Dude I think Rocky waters are ahead, but don’t make life altering decisions based on my feelings. You need to assess the situation and minimize your risk and weigh that with your risk tolerance. I think having some cash on hand now is a good idea, but I’m not suggesting you should selloff your portfolio. This could easily turn around and start turning in all time highs again. I’m saying I expect a huge correction, but who knows. This could drag on another year, maybe two.
All financial genius are warning about a major stock market crash coming. I never seen that many on board before. Even to the point of going public with it. That is what is worrying me. Ray Dalio, Elon Musk, Robert Kiyosaki, to name a few. Makes me think how bad is?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
All financial genius are warning about a major stock market crash coming. I never seen that many on board before. Even to the point of going public with it. That is what is worrying me. Ray Dalio, Elon Musk, Robert Kiyosaki, to name a few. Makes me think how bad is?
I don’t think you need to be a genius to see where this is heading eventually. The genius would be to know when without insider knowledge. For the most part they don’t exist. If we had any way of knowing when we’d all be millionaires that never have to work again.

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
To be fair, there have been cries of a major crash for almost two decades. On average, there has been a major correction every ten years. We sorta had one in 2020 (catalyst: pandemic) but we rebounded so fast the correction might as well not have happened at all. Then we pilled on unprecedented debt under a year or two instead of decades. What this had told us is that the government (and by government, I'm talking the US government since they drive the world economy) can kick the can as far, as quickly and as hard as they want (print $$$) to the point where the old rules need not apply. All this to say, we can go a long time before the world falls over. Eventually, the US would need to face the music but that could be weeks, months, years, even decades from now. Ray Dalio is incredibly smart and I think, in general, he's right, but he's maneuvered for the crash to happen at any time and can survive a decade-long wait. Can we wait that long? I know I can't. I need to accumulate wealth now and worry about wealth preservation later...since at this point, I don't have 'wealth' to preserve. So yeah, we are due for a crash but the government is determined to deal with it "not today". So I plan to deal with it "not today".

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I don’t think you need to be a genius to see where this is heading eventually. The genius would be to know when without insider knowledge. For the most part they don’t exist. If we had any way of knowing when we’d all be millionaires that never have to work again.
Insider knowledge for when the crash will happen doesn't exist either. Sure, some insiders may see it before others but they probably won't see it fast enough for it to matter too much. Basically, when the 'Big' crash happens, we are all screwed. Maybe if we had our wealth in bitcoin we may be saved? Because fiat will mean nothing when this happens. Then again, if the end of days type crash happens, we may not even have electricity, in which case bitcoin won't matter much either :D

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I’ve been through enough dips that 20% swings over 30 days don’t phase me too much. I’ve bought from 65k all the way down to 53. Wouldn’t phase me too much if it returned to 12k US tbh. The only regret I’ll have is that I didn’t sell to accumulate more coins. I buy at any price point, but if it hits 40-45k CAD I’ll up my contribution a bit.
Doesnt phase me much either, but at the same point if there was a Jan 2018 type crash/dip I dont know if I could bring myself to put more cash in.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Anyone considering going 100% cash should be aware of how inflation works. 1MM in cash by the end of 2022 will have the purchasing power of closer to 900k. And if the markets kick out another 11%, you opportunity cost would be around 100K. So a possible 200K swing and that 1MM.

To me inflation presents almost as much risk as a market correction. I still think the play here is to have a strong cash position but staying mostly invested. If there was an event, we know that the Fed will fire up the printers.

Last two -35% events corrected pretty quick. in 2020 the SP 500 lost 30% in Spring and finished the year up 18% for instance. Last year returned 27%. 1MM cash starting early 2020 would be worth less then 900K today, invested in a SP500 ETF closer to 1.5MM. 600K difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad