OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Recommended by Aaron Ward, Brit show that aired from 1978-1992:

« The cases of a portly and eccentric barrister ».

Ward’s father was a judge.

Anyone know about this?

Believe it was aired on this side of the pond regularly, didn't watch it though. The only British show from the 1980's I remember was this one:

I've seen just about all the Robin Hood films (including the Douglas Fairbanks silent film which I like) and that tv series was the best of them.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Saw Beekeeper with Statham. Good entertainment. It's always fun to see Statham kick some ass. There was nothing particularly new at script level though. It's mainly worthy for the absolute legion of people that Statham kills and maim. It was for sure a record. It's crazy. It's decently directed by David Ayer but I was expecting more from screen writer Kurt "Equilibrium" Wimmer. I think that Guy Ritchie has been better at getting something more tangible from Statham beyond stoic badass.

Reactions: rik schau

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marinaro, Jean Perron and le Baron Chantelois reunited in a circus act shitshow reminiscent of the old days of 110% on TQS.

Marinaro opens with several jokes and props, including exposing his massive gut and shaving himself. And then it was followed by the guests shouting insanities over each other.

I couldn’t get myself to watch it all but maybe some of you might enjoy burlesque:

Reactions: Chili

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Had a chance to see what's new in tv land and tried this show called ''Sight Unseen'' good title for it as it should be UNSEEN, what garbage. Some BS cop show that is so ridiculous I can't even wrap my head around how it got made. Made in Canada as it turns out.

Saw this as well and knowing me expected to hate it. I have no doubt it will offend just about anyone and it's obviously ridiculous to start with but it has a lot of laughs.

MV5BNDlkYzIwYTYtOWZjMC00M2NlLWI1NDgtNjUzN2NmYWI5YThkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYzMjQ4Nzg@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

My buds got a lot of dvd collections and tried this one, never heard of it . It's alright, thought it was suppose to be a comedy but not so much, more drama with some humor. Probably the series with the best soundtrack though, super music from that era.

MV5BODQ4OTYyY2YtNjJjMy00YzhkLWFjOWQtM2MwZjg5ZWVmZjA4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk0MjQ3Nzk@._V1_QL75_UY28...jpg

Recommended by Aaron Ward, Brit show that aired from 1978-1992:

« The cases of a portly and eccentric barrister ».

Ward’s father was a judge.

Anyone know about this?

That brings back memories. Saw it a few times when staying with my grandparents back then. Don't know if it was ever on air outside the UK and Europe. Don't really remember it but I know my grandparents did as some shows they would never miss, and back then, no recording devices. Shows and movies in the Netherlands are subtitled, prefer that anyways over dubbed as dubbed is unwatchable IMAO. Don't know how anyone could watch this dubbed.

His father was a judge? he must have taken after his mother eh?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Finally got to watch the original 3-part movie Walking Tall (semi-biographical) based on the fascinating and tragic life of Buford Pusser.

Pusser was qualified as a modern day Davey Crockett. His wife was slain in a hail of bullets intended for him (120 shell cases found on the scene), his shutaway jaw required 15 operations. He was shot in 7 separate incidents, stabbed 7 times, was run over, was targeted for assasination 4 times, all in a 6-year span.

Part 1 (1973), Part 2 (1975) and Part 3 (1977).

I had never seen the 3 movies, only the last one and had not known until now that the actor playing Pusser in Part 1 was replaced in Parts 2 & 3. The latter actor is who real life Sheriff Pusser preferred to play him but he was not available for Part 1.

So much of the language in those movies is raw, and peppered with dry, Southern humor. In one scene from Part 3 that I never forgot, a big time mobster was paying an informer that he had never met, to keep tabs on Pusser in order to eliminate him.

The mobster guy ends up finally meeting the lady who was his informer but didn’t know it was her. Coming out of his limousine, he notices her at the doorstep of his house while having a conversation with an associate. The mobster looking at her, then blurts out very audibly in her direction, “whose fat ass is that?”

The associate tells him that the lady is the informer. The mobster cracks a big smile, extends his arms open as he’s walking towards her and performs some timely hypocritical damage control by telling her “Bless your heart!”

I usually don’t like lawyers in movies however, the guy playing Pusser’s friend and lawyer in Part 3, is eminently likeable.

So much to unpack when you read up on all he stories surrounding said movies. These movies capture the essence of a simpler time, which is always fun to delve into.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just saw that Walking Tall Part 3 is on YouTube:

My favorite scene starts at 1:48.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Saw Beekeeper with Statham. Good entertainment. It's always fun to see Statham kick some ass. There was nothing particularly new at script level though. It's mainly worthy for the absolute legion of people that Statham kills and maim. It was for sure a record. It's crazy. It's decently directed by David Ayer but I was expecting more from screen writer Kurt "Equilibrium" Wimmer. I think that Guy Ritchie has been better at getting something more tangible from Statham beyond stoic badass.
Well at least this time around it was not a 200 feet shark who was afraid of Statham trying to kick his ass... I wish the guy would go back to making serious movies though. He's not a terrible actor.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Well at least this time around it was not a 200 feet shark who was afraid of Statham trying to kick his ass... I wish the guy would go back to making serious movies though. He's not a terrible actor.

I agree, he's actually a good actor when he has the chance to prove it. You should watch Wrath of Man which Guy Ritchie directed which was more challenging, it was a better than usual story for one of his movies. His British flicks also give him material where he can show his acting. There was a movie he made called "London" where there was no action, no fight scenes, it was really a character-acting role and I was shocked of how good he was.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I agree, he's actually a good actor when he has the chance to prove it. You should watch Wrath of Man which Guy Ritchie directed which was more challenging, it was a better than usual story for one of his movies. His British flicks also give him material where he can show his acting. There was a movie he made called "London" where there was no action, no fight scenes, it was really a character-acting role and I was shocked of how good he was.
Well his roles in Snatch and Lock, stock and two smoking barrels are the best ones. He's pretty funny in those movies and he's doing a good job i would not replace him with anyone in those. His best action movie remains Crank in my very humble opinion.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Well his roles in Snatch and Lock, stock and two smoking barrels are the best ones. He's pretty funny in those movies and he's doing a good job i would not replace him with anyone in those. His best action movie remains Crank in my very humble opinion.

Crank is really an insane movie. lol My favorite pure action flick of his "Safe". Nobody knows about this movie but he has to protect an innocent girl from the Chinese triad in NYC. Very underrated. But my favorite movie of his as whole is probably The Bank Job. Mainly a heist flick.

Reactions: LaP

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have been watching The Cleaning Lady series (now in Season 3) and last night’s episode was gut wrenching as it saw the end of one of its beloved main characters.

The show itself was tense and gripping but did not fully realize there was much more to it until the credits scrolled and the following message appeared: “In loving memory of Adan Canto”.

Did a double take seeing that as I didn’t know the actor by his real name. I did not connect that Canto was in fact playing Arman Morales.

Turns out he contracted a rare form of cancer and was too unwell to shoot Season 3, so they had to write him out. He was just great in his role of Arman.

Passed at age 42, leaving behind a wife and 2 kids. RIP.

More here: ‘The Cleaning Lady’: Fate Of Adan Canto’s Character Is Revealed Following Actor’s Death

And here: Adan Canto seen in last outing on The Cleaning Lady after death at 42

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad