OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVIII

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I watched between 95-05.

The show was Kaufman-ish at times in those days.

Wish Conan the best

He was a treat. He created his own style of late night TV. His shows were unlike any other on the air. I listen to his podcast Conan Needs a Friend. It's a very funny podcast.
His original late night show on NBC was truly great. That's what a show that starts at 12:30am should be.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Watched 1917 yesterday. What an overrated piece of fiction. Great cinematography. Great camera work. But man the script. It looks like it was written by a 12 years old fan of Marvel movies. It's so unrealistic. I don't mind disconnecting my brain to watch a super hero movie but this is a war movie trying to be realistic yet the protagonist is a super hero with super powers. Still liked it for the technical merits but what a let down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Le CH and Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Watched 1917 yesterday. What an overrated piece of fiction. Great cinematography. Great camera work. But man the script. It looks like it was written by a 12 years old fan of Marvel movies. It's so unrealistic. I don't mind disconnecting my brain to watch a super hero movie but this is a war movie trying to be idealistic yet the protagonist is a super hero with super powers. Still liked it for the technical merits but what a let down.
I also found it to be a letdown.
The effects were great, but so unrealistic. I didn’t anticipate chuckling, and saying “c’mon”.

Reactions: LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I also found it to be a letdown.
The effects were great, but so unrealistic. I didn’t anticipate chuckling, and saying “c’mon”.

I really loved the first 15 minutes up to the point the bomb exploded. I was like wow this is magnificent. I knew nothing about the movie and i was curious to find out why the rating was so high cause up to that point it felt like The tree of life. An outstanding piece of film making that most people usually hate and call pretentious. It went downhill from there :D
when his mate dug him up with no scratch i was like c'mon. When ihe survived the rapid with no real sleep (outside his concussion after the sniper) and without eating much while being encumbered with his equipment to end up 50 yards from where he had to go i almost busted out laughing.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I really loved the first 15 minutes up to the point the bomb exploded. I was like wow this is magnificent. I knew nothing about the movie and i was curious to find out why the rating was so high cause up to that point it felt like The tree of life. An outstanding piece of film making that most people usually hate and call pretentious. It went downhill from there :D
when his mate dug him up with no scratch i was like c'mon. When ihe survived the rapid with no real sleep (outside his concussion after the sniper) and without eating much while being encumbered with his equipment to end up 50 yards from where he had to go i almost busted out laughing.
:laugh::laugh:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Thanks a lot I will definetly note that somewhere. The problem is thay our days they create so much content you don't even have time to consume everything! :laugh:

The best digital content war is on!
It's quite a few years old now but if you like gritty sci fi it's definitely a must watch.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Expanse is pretty good too, you should definitely check it out if you haven't already. I'm always on board with pretty much any sci fi show that has good writing and a decent premise :nod:

i've heard and its on my list but waiting till I can get back into cannabis :cool::DD. I plan on doing a major re-watch of every Stark Trek show (never cared for the movies), I freaking love Deep Space Nine but thought I would watch them in order although I'm not a big fan of the '60's version, even as great as Next is the first few seasons can be a little tough to get through unless i've got help from that little plant lol.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
i've heard and its on my list but waiting till I can get back into cannabis :cool::DD. I plan on doing a major re-watch of every Stark Trek show (never cared for the movies), I freaking love Deep Space Nine but thought I would watch them in order although I'm not a big fan of the '60's version, even as great as Next is the first few seasons can be a little tough to get through unless i've got help from that little plant lol.

I love Trek but had a lot of problems with DS9 at the beginning. I dunno, to me Star Trek was always about the Enterprise and exploration. I actually started to enjoy DS9 once the Dominion War started. Watching the USS Odyssey get destroyed by the jem’hadar was such an eye opener for me.

Now, a show I did hate was Enterprise. A few good episodes here and there but in general it was terrible.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
You can start TNG at season 3 and pretty much go from there TBH. It's aways episodic so you won't be lost and by season 3 the characters are all there and they're all well established. It's one of those shows where I can pick any episode at random on netflix and watch it with zero preparation.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I love Trek but had a lot of problems with DS9 at the beginning. I dunno, to me Star Trek was always about the Enterprise and exploration. I actually started to enjoy DS9 once the Dominion War started. Watching the USS Odyssey get destroyed by the jem’hadar was such an eye opener for me.

Now, a show I did hate was Enterprise. A few good episodes here and there but in general it was terrible.

I didn't mind enterprise as Scott Bakula was great in it but I'm one of those trek fans that actual likes Voyager as many don't seem to care for it but I liked it a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad