OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I generally find breaking the fourth wall, or even using a narrator, to be a bit of a gimmick.

Also in agreement. It's a good garnish, but this show treated it like the f***ing mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving. The best use of breaking the fourth wall in Fleabag was when the protagonist would show off facial expressions and nothing more, it communicates her thoughts without a talking down to.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Also in agreement. It's a good garnish, but this show treated it like the f***ing mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving. The best use of breaking the fourth wall in Fleabag was when the protagonist would show off facial expressions and nothing more, it communicates her thoughts without a talking down to.
I agree. She did lay it on thick, but I still liked most of it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So, Ive been making gods work for you guys.

I am not okay with this 10/10 watch it, and watch the whole thing. The finale is awesome.

Narcos: mexico. Its good... kinda slow? Worth the watch for Isabella alone. Those tight dresses.

Gentefied... now boy I loved that. Cheeky, corny funny, a bit of racial tension worked into that mix, a fantastic abuelo I wish I had. Yeah, watch it.

Life of the party. Pls dont. I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

Logan Lucky??? Wtf. Why was this made? Why does it exist? Daniel Craig with a southern accent is quite funny and far from his double o seven days.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Finally watched a movie worth my while.

The Irishman by Scorcese with the all the boys back Deniro, Pesci, tons of the usual Italian supporting cast and Al Pacino as Jimmy Hoffa.

At a whoping 3 hour and near 30 minutes, it felt like a full meal of a movie and it would probably would not have been as good if it had been shorter, it needed to be long to be appreciated. It's a crime that Pacino didn't get an Oscar for his performance. If it's in the catgory that Pitt won then this whole thing is rigged. Movie is VERY character-driven and Martin does it like putting your hand in a velvet glove. He and Tarantino are so different in that respect and comparing it to Once Upon...Hollywood, for QT it's always HOW he tell a story, it's all about playing with structure to create a mood. Actors are almost not important whereas Martin concentrate on writing and just telling a good story as convincing as he can. The scene between Deniro and Pesci where he's telling him about the hit is just great, awesome character work.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I decided to go with Homeland’s finale season. Saw the first two episodes. Same formula but they execute it so well that I don’t mind.

Aftet this, I’m either going to jump on Ozark or I’ll re-watch The Sopranos.

I've been doing a re-watch of The Sopranos for the past week or so. I'm currently on episode 4 of the final season.

Still one of my favorite TV series ever but it seems the more times I re-watch the more annoying Tony's kids become to the point it's almost unbearable to watch scenes when they're on screen, especially early on in the series. I didn't seem to notice it that much the first couple of times I watched the series but it's been super annoying this time around.

Uncle June and Paulie were by far my favorite characters just for their bluntness and their many funny moments. Great series.

Once I finish The Sopranos I think I'll do another Band of Brothers and The Pacific re-watch since it's been a couple of years since I've seen these 2 series.

Reactions: Runner77

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yes! lol

Seriously a good show that I discovered is The Alienist. I don't know if it's your kind of thing but it's a British drama set in the Victorian era where psychology is still a weird esoteric thing. So this character who is an Alienist(ancestors of psychologists/psychiatrists) is brought in to deal with things that the law doesn't understand aka crazy people. There are murders in London and this Alienist is brought in by the police to work with them although he has his methods and they clash with the very barbaric police of the time. (their methods is basically to beat people up lol). Also there are crooked policemen in the force, esp. when it comes to protecting important wealthy people. The best part of this show is really the execution, it is really compelling in the way they are telling their story. There were supposed to be a second season in 2020 but now I'm not sure.

Very good series. I binged it. Definitely recommended.

Reactions: Runner77 and Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Very good series. I binged it. Definitely recommended.

Just really love the execution, the way they told the story, the cinematography. Also I don't know why but the sound is one of the stars of the show. I just love the sound of the streets of London, the horses, the carriages, the walking, the creeks of the old houses, what they did with it, makes the story more visceral like you're there at that time. I don't know if it was the director desired effect or if the sound mixer is just great at his job. lol

Reactions: groovejuice

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
With no toilet paper, I won't chance a GoT re-watch.

That is what I've been doing, rewatching the series. I watched 1 x 1 a few days ago. It felt so alien starting way back. It feels so fresh and something alien I have never seen before. It's amazing how the show changed from what it was. In many ways I love the innocence and slow storytelling of those earlier times. Somehow along the way they lost their ways. Trying to make it too fast-paste instead of letting the story unfold by itself.

Reactions: Roadhouse

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That is what I've been doing, rewatching the series. I watched 1 x 1 a few days ago. It felt so alien starting way back. It feels so fresh and something alien I have never seen before. It's amazing how the show changed from what it was. In many ways I love the innocence and slow storytelling of those earlier times. Somehow along the way they lost their ways. Trying to make it too fast-paste instead of letting the story unfold by itself.
The first 5 seasons, best tv there was.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
The first 5 seasons, best tv there was.

BigheartedBelovedBeaver-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: ArtPeur and peate

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Watching Hinterland on Netflix. A BBC police procedural set in rural Wales.

Enjoyable enough. Good cast, easy enough viewing. Disappointed in the dearth of rugby, so far the only recognition is a guy wearing a Brumbies jumper which makes no sense.

Have to say between this, Wallander, Broadchurch, Shetland and Line of Duty I’m getting a little weary of the brooding, lonely male protagonist. In most cases it’s very much a single-note presentation.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad