OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
New season of Bosch is being released on April 17th for those who watch it.

thanks for the heads up, that series is the best I have seen in years, next to Better Call Saul. Really looking forward to this.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
thanks for the heads up, that series is the best I have seen in years, next to Better Call Saul. Really looking forward to this.

I watched the trailer this morning. It’s going to be interesting. Titus Welliver and Jaime Hector (Marlo from the Wire) are a good combo in my opinion.

As for BCS I’ll need to re-watch it from the beginning :laugh:

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I watched the trailer this morning. It’s going to be interesting. Titus Welliver and Jaime Hector (Marlo from the Wire) are a good combo in my opinion.

As for BCS I’ll need to re-watch it from the beginning :laugh:

BCS starts slow, you gotta give it a chance though. Have you watched Breaking Bad? It makes BCS a little more interesting

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
BCS starts slow, you gotta give it a chance though. Have you watched Breaking Bad? It makes BCS a little more interesting

Yeah I watched BB years ago. I think I saw BCS S1 but didn’t continue on. I’ve been thinking of doing a BB/El Camino/BCS marathon now that I’ve got all this free time on my hands.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah I watched BB years ago. I think I saw BCS S1 but didn’t continue on. I’ve been thinking of doing a BB/El Camino/BCS marathon now that I’ve got all this free time on my hands.

Its a good time waster, but I didn't enjoy El Camino much.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Yes! lol

Seriously a good show that I discovered is The Alienist. I don't know if it's your kind of thing but it's a British drama set in the Victorian era where psychology is still a weird esoteric thing. So this character who is an Alienist(ancestors of psychologists/psychiatrists) is brought in to deal with things that the law doesn't understand aka crazy people. There are murders in London and this Alienist is brought in by the police to work with them although he has his methods and they clash with the very barbaric police of the time. (their methods is basically to beat people up lol). Also there are crooked policemen in the force, esp. when it comes to protecting important wealthy people. The best part of this show is really the execution, it is really compelling in the way they are telling their story. There were supposed to be a second season in 2020 but now I'm not sure.

you might also like Ripper Street.

... or the book By Gaslight.

Reactions: groovejuice

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Oh yea? I have heard of Ripper Street but I had no idea if it was good or not. I will check it out. It has my man Bronn in it too. Gaslight, the title intrigues me. It represents that time very well.
I recently finished Ripper Street.

I liked it very much overall, if a little uneven at times. But its highs were very enjoyable, at least to me.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Just finished first season of "StartUp".

I have mixed feelings about it. The show is certainly failed by its writing. It's just a mess that it trying to imitate other, more successful series of the same sub-genre. It can get overly buzz-wordy and make you cringe at times.

That said, the actors do a strong job in here. Martin Freeman is his usual great and Edi Gathegi is excellent as well.

I'm inclined to continue watching, but I don't know if "StartUp" is going to work for everyone.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Oh yea? I have heard of Ripper Street but I had no idea if it was good or not. I will check it out. It has my man Bronn in it too. Gaslight, the title intrigues me. It represents that time very well.

setting is Jack the Ripper time and location, but it’s not about him. Just a police drama. One cool thing is that there’s a character that uses forensics, highlighting that forensics were used in that (JtR) era, with crime scene photographs, criminal profiling and wound pattern study.

Bronn is excellent, BTW.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I decided to go with Homeland’s finale season. Saw the first two episodes. Same formula but they execute it so well that I don’t mind.

Aftet this, I’m either going to jump on Ozark or I’ll rematch The Sopranos.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I binged through the first 6 seasons of Parks and Rec. Not a bad show, but I don't think sitcoms hold up well under binge conditions.

I don't think it was as good as The Office, the characters were just a little more one-note. One similarity was that the main romantic relationship (Jim-Pam/Leslie-Ben) were ridiculously perfect and contrary to the overall tone of the show.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
setting is Jack the Ripper time and location, but it’s not about him. Just a police drama. One cool thing is that there’s a character that uses forensics, highlighting that forensics were used in that (JtR) era, with crime scene photographs, criminal profiling and wound pattern study.

Bronn is excellent, BTW.

CSI: Victorian London. lol

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I binged through the first 6 seasons of Parks and Rec. Not a bad show, but I don't think sitcoms hold up well under binge conditions.

I don't think it was as good as The Office, the characters were just a little more one-note. One similarity was that the main romantic relationship (Jim-Pam/Leslie-Ben) were ridiculously perfect and contrary to the overall tone of the show.

Maybe watch Peep Show. It's an English show, really funny. I think it's more clever than The Office (US, and UK) or Parks and Rec. These shows had lots of good moments too, but they're not really dealing with subtle humor, which there's a whole lot in Peep Show.

Reactions: overlords

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#GodfatherOfHarlem1

Harlem been a place that I wanted to obtain more knowledge about it. There's some fantasy and real stuffs into this series. Black gangsters. Corrupted cops. Church. Homelessness. Love story. Mafia families. Nation of Islam. Politics. Power. Snitches. I'm vibing nonstop for their intro song. They skipped the beginning of his ascension tho.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Maybe watch Peep Show. It's an English show, really funny. I think it's more clever than The Office (US, and UK) or Parks and Rec. These shows had lots of good moments too, but they're not really dealing with subtle humor, which there's a whole lot in Peep Show.

Are we the Baddies? is a classic. I also love the one where mitchell 'forgets' the turkey.

Reactions: a55p2

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Watched both seasons of Fleabag.

Not bad, but a little surprised at the hype. I feel like the lonely/depressed/introspective thing has been well mined in other shows. Louie, Baskets, Bojack and Master of None come to mind.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Watched both seasons of Fleabag.

Not bad, but a little surprised at the hype. I feel like the lonely/depressed/introspective thing has been well mined in other shows. Louie, Baskets, Bojack and Master of None come to mind.
It's breaking the 4th wall. It's great the way she did it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad