Pre-Game Talk: Let's Speculate on 15 Wins

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He's making goalies look good most of the time. The save the goalie made against him a couple games ago on the 2 on 1 should have been the easiest goal he's ever scored. Instead he completely missed the 3 feet of open net and fired across into the goalies glove. I predict that when he does eventually score (can a forward playing regularly go an entire season without scoring?), it will be greasy, bouncing off a body part or something like that. I'm not sure I'd trust him even if he was going on in alone on an empty net breakaway, a la Patrick Stefan.

Yup, Murphy is a big piece.;)
The post was intended tongue in cheek in case that was not clear.

That said I was actually surprised to see how many shots he has had of late. Over the last 5 games he has had 15 shots on goal 5 vs 5 which is basically on par with the guys in the top six. In January he has had one of the highest rates of high danger shots on the team and has actually generated the most rebounds. Still nothing to show for it in terms of his own goals and that is an issue of course. But at least the arrows are moving in the right direction. This is a guy who had a career shooting %-age of close to 11% which is just slightly above average for a forward. So its not like he has never finished before. Hopefully the damn breaks at asome point.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Re barely beating teams lower in the standings it needs to be noted this is an entertainment industry and great teams do not stomp weaker teams and must let them show some good.

Thus taking over the third period.

Same reason refs favour the loosing team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Re barely beating teams lower in the standings it needs to be noted this is an entertainment industry and great teams do not stomp weaker teams and must let them show some good.

Thus taking over the third period.

Same reason refs favour the loosing team.
I think the parity in the league is greater than people think, despite the standings. As most players and coaches involved will tell you, there is a very fine line between winning and losing, and the Oilers now have clearly found where that line is. But if you dip just a bit in your game, you can be susceptible to a lesser team beating you or keeping it too close for comfort. Having the best player in the league on your team, and having an historic win streak on the line, also paints a big target on you.

I do have to agree about the refs though. It certainly seems they try to do a whole bunch of makeup calls, and let lesser players impede stars far too much. I doubt this is from league instruction, but more human nature to try to keep everyone somewhat happy. And it never works out that, way, because then you have everyone pissed at you.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
McDAVID, HYMAN POWER OILERS TO 15TH STRAIGHT WIN
Like they have in each of their previous 14 contests, the Oilers (28-15-1, 57 points) stayed hot and continued to climb the Western Conference standings with another victory after Connor McDavid (2-1—3) and Zach Hyman (1-0—1) found the score sheet once again, while Calvin Pickard turned aside all 27 shots he faced to help the club become the fifth team in NHL history to record a win streak of 15 or more games.

* McDavid extended his home point streak to 17 games (11-25—36) for the second time in his career (also 21 GP in 2022-23). In the process, he became the 12th player in NHL history to record multiple home runs of at least that length and just the third active following Nathan MacKinnon (active 24 GP in 2023-24 & 19 GP in 2022-23) and Sidney Crosby (19 GP in 2010-11 & 17 GP in 2013-14).

* McDavid and Hyman have played a big role in Edmonton’s success of late – McDavid’s 22 points are tied with Nicklas Backstrom (22 in 2009-10) for the ninth most by a player through a club’s double-digit point streak since 1993-94 while Hyman’s 11 goals are tied for the fourth most through that same span.

OilersStreak_Media-26124656.png

souce: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17635

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig