Let's set the record straight: Barbecue is a *NOUN*

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I speak from somewhat of a position of authority. I have spent 19 of the 33 years that I have been alive in either North Carolina or Alabama, and have visited everywhere in between. Barbecue is a *noun*, it is a thing, a physical thing. It is not a verb, it is not an action, it is not something that you do, it is not cooking hot dogs on a propane grill.

It is meat, prepared in a very specific and special way depending on what part of the US you are from, and every "style", be it Eastern North Carolina (pepper and vinegar), Western North Carolina (tomato), South Carolina (mustard), Alabama//Arkansas (Mayo), Kansas//Missouri (tamarind), Memphis (slow cooked w/ salt and other spices), Texas (hickory and pecan in the east or mesquite in the west) and countless others, are distinct, unique and special in their own right.

So let's get out there and inform and educate the vast majority of the world that just buying frozen burgers at the local Piggly Wiggly (or whatever you have where you live) and slapping them on a grill is not BBQ. All y'all are missing out on the best food on the planet :)

/end rant

JA

Oxford English Dictionary:
barbecue, v.

Pronunciation:
/ˈbɑːbɪkjuː/
Forms: 16–18 barbacue, barbicu(e, 17– ikew, 17– barbecue.
Frequency (in current use):
Etymology: < barbecue n.

1. To dry or cure (flesh, etc.) by exposure upon a barbecue; see the n. (senses 1 and 5).
1661 E. Hickeringill Jamaica 76 Some are slain, And their flesh forthwith Barbacu'd and eat.
1775 J. Adair Hist. Amer. Indians 408 They cut them [pompions] into..slices, which they barbacue, or dry with a slow heat.
1796 J. G. Stedman Narr. Exped. Surinam I. xv. 391 They use little or no salt, but barbacue their game and fish in the smoke.
1840 W. Irving Chron. Wolfert's Roost (1855) 291 Loaded with barbacued meat.

2. To broil or roast (an animal) whole; e.g. to split a hog to the backbone, fill the belly with wine and stuffing, and cook it on a huge gridiron, basting with wine. Sometimes, to cook (a joint) with the same accessories. See also barbecue n. 3.
1690 A. Behn Widdow Ranter ii. iv. 25 Let's Barbicu this Fat Rogue.
1702 C. Mather Magnalia Christi vii. vi. 43/2 When they came to see..the Bodies of so many of their Countrymen terribly Barbikew'd.
1769 E. Raffald Experienced Eng. House-keeper iv. 100 To barbicue a Leg of Pork.
1823 C. Lamb Elia 288 Barbecue your whole hogs to your palate.
1920 J. M. Hunter Trail Drivers of Texas I. 82 We killed and barbecued a beef.
"Barbecue" as a verb has been used since the 1660s.

JA

Try some authentic BBQ from down south and you might rethink that. You ever been to an honest to goodness pig pickin'?
Eating barbecued meat will not rewrite history.

"Barbecue" has been used as a verb since the 1660s, and continues to be used to this very day. There has never been a period between then and now in which "barbecue" stopped referring to the process of preparing food in this particular way.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Eating barbecued meat will not rewrite history.

"Barbecue" has been used as a verb since the 1660s, and continues to be used to this very day. There has never been a period between then and now in which "barbecue" stopped referring to the process of preparing food in this particular way.

I am speaking from more of a cultural interpretation of the word. Not everything is so cut and dry

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
This is a bbq

barbecue-charbon-smoker-americain-bbq8040bk-01.jpg

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
I speak from somewhat of a position of authority. I have spent 19 of the 33 years that I have been alive in either North Carolina or Alabama, and have visited everywhere in between. Barbecue is a *noun*, it is a thing, a physical thing. It is not a verb, it is not an action, it is not something that you do, it is not cooking hot dogs on a propane grill.

It is meat, prepared in a very specific and special way depending on what part of the US you are from, and every "style", be it Eastern North Carolina (pepper and vinegar), Western North Carolina (tomato), South Carolina (mustard), Alabama//Arkansas (Mayo), Kansas//Missouri (tamarind), Memphis (slow cooked w/ salt and other spices), Texas (hickory and pecan in the east or mesquite in the west) and countless others, are distinct, unique and special in their own right.

So let's get out there and inform and educate the vast majority of the world that just buying frozen burgers at the local Piggly Wiggly (or whatever you have where you live) and slapping them on a grill is not BBQ. All y'all are missing out on the best food on the planet :)

/end rant

Do you have a good eastern north Carolina bbq sauce recipe? I'm smoking some pork shoulders over the weekend and love a good vinegar based bbq sauce.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What about roast?

"I roasted TJ awfully hard in that Vegan thread"

adjective

"Cut me off a nice slice of that roast. No veganism for me good sir!"

verb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad