Lets go retro... Old School equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OILADDICT

Aug 17, 2005
city of champions
MikeC44 said:
Shoulders pads I've searched for in stores (with no success) are these: Itech SP 50

They're not really the 'old style', but they look like something ideal for gentlemens hockey.
Any comments?

I am only 22years but I am also a huge fan of the old style pads. I found a pair of those sp50 brand new for around 20bucks at a sports store here in Edmonton. Havn't looked back since.

08Neely

Blades of Steel
Mar 17, 2003
Sunny Arizona
Visit site
I miss having a selection of real sticks.
The old white Canadien Fiberglass models in particular, those things were the best sticks ever.

I utterly despise these new composite sticks.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
08Neely said:
I miss having a selection of real sticks.
The old white Canadien Fiberglass models in particular, those things were the best sticks ever.

I utterly despise these new composite sticks.

Have you used one yet?

I have to admit I didn't think there would be all that much of a difference. I'll never go back to a shaft blade combo let alone a wood stick.

08Neely

Blades of Steel
Mar 17, 2003
Sunny Arizona
Visit site
stick9 said:
Have you used one yet?

I have to admit I didn't think there would be all that much of a difference. I'll never go back to a shaft blade combo let alone a wood stick.

I've got a really heavy shot and I tend to go thru about a stick every 7-8 games I play anyway.
I bought a synergy about a year or so after they came out, broke it after a period and a half, returned it to the Manufacturer and got a replacement.
I broke that in a pickup game in exactly the same place, just above the heel.
But for those few shots I did take with them it was a big difference, my shots went from OMG to holy ****.

I play a lot of D in league games so I do use a lot of slappers and am always putting my stick on shooters in the Dzone as well. Not a good recipie for keeping one of those things healthy.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
08Neely said:
I've got a really heavy shot and I tend to go thru about a stick every 7-8 games I play anyway.
I bought a synergy about a year or so after they came out, broke it after a period and a half, returned it to the Manufacturer and got a replacement.
I broke that in a pickup game in exactly the same place, just above the heel.
But for those few shots I did take with them it was a big difference, my shots went from OMG to holy ****.

I play a lot of D in league games so I do use a lot of slappers and am always putting my stick on shooters in the Dzone as well. Not a good recipie for keeping one of those things healthy.

Yeah the Synergy's aren't the most duriable one piece out there. I'd probably do the same thing if I were you.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
stick9 said:
And I thought I was the only one. I always wanted a pair of Daoust skates with the clear tuuks. 99 supremes or something like that.

Growing up my favorite stick was a Titan TPM99. Can you tell I am a big Wayne Gretzky fan.. Anyway, Titan is making sticks again. I saw them over at hockeymonkey.com. I was tempted to buy one, but I hesitant to buy a stick without looking at it.

I have a pair of Daoust 501's in my basement right now. I actually had to wear them a few times last year when I broke the blade on my Vapors.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
MikeC44 said:
I have a pair of Daoust 501's in my basement right now. I actually had to wear them a few times last year when I broke the blade on my Vapors.

I have a pair of those, also. I wear them for skating outside (to protect my "better' 20-year-old skates!). I wish I still had my old Daoust Super 301's. Best skates I've ever had, bar none!

I wore a pair of Jofa 626 gloves with the high cuffs from 1985 until 2003, when they finally were no longer fixable. But the new Bauer gloves I got are very nice, so...

I still wear the Gretzky Jofa helmet, although I taped a small piece of padding into the top of it (to make it fit better).

I don't like any of the new equipment. It's expensive for no reason, it's UGLY, and it's marketed directly to kids for visual effect, not for protection. Who wants silver ans yellow hockey skates? Give me the all black Bauer Supremes every time!

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:
I don't like any of the new equipment. It's expensive for no reason, it's UGLY, and it's marketed directly to kids for visual effect, not for protection. Who wants silver ans yellow hockey skates? Give me the all black Bauer Supremes every time!

I don't mind the look of some of the new equipment, although I now have nice, all-black, Bauer Supreme 8090 skates.
I agree about the price.

What I really don't like are most of the new gloves on the market these days. Most of them are very tight on your hand, and are pre-angled at the wrist, and have pre-bent fingers. I can't stand the lack of movement, especially when they're new.
I like the regular, looser-fitting, square-looking gloves. Closest thing to them now are Eagle gloves, although like you mentioned, about $75 over-priced. The Bauer 5000s that came out around 4 years ago are nice too, but again had a $200 price tag.
I'm wearing a pair of Vic 550 gloves I bought 7 years ago, with tape on all the fingers, and barely any palm remaining. They replaced a pair of Ferland 2200 gloves that i had for 6-7 years. They were my favorite.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
jiggs 10 said:

It's hard to argue that. Companies know who's buying new gear every year. It's not guys like us.

I do like a good amount of the new stuff out there, but perfer the stuff that was made about 10 years ago. Minus skates and sticks of course. I'll stick with my Graf's and one piece composite sticks thank you very much.

For those that are looking for some serious old school stuff. Check out Sher-wood's website. They have an old school pair of shoulder and elbow pads.

Last edited:

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
I'm a whore. I bought a pair of inline Mission's because they have red axels. I'm going to get beat up now.

But those 'traditional' style shoulder pads are something I'm definitely going to pick up. I'm big (6'4" 280), and all shoulder pads take me from looking big to awkwardly huge.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I love the old style skates..Daoust...Megas...Bauer Comps

I hate the new skates...especially Bauer..they are garbage now since Nike bought them out.

A few yrs ago a local hockey store near me found a pair of Daoust 555 Golds in their warehouse and they called me up (I was on their list if they ever found a pair of Bauer Comps)

I was so excited I almost got a speeding ticket driving out to get them.

They where the best pair of skates I ever had, until this past Christmas.

My g/f got me a pair of Synergy 1300c skates. The first time I picked up one of the skates I said holy *#&$&#..they are so light.

They hurt my feet for all of 15 minutes...it feels like I have a pair of Sketchers on when I skate they are so light.

I am totally in love with these skates...does anyone else have a pair of them?

Avery4Byng*

I have a sweet "Peter Klima" Jofa helmet I bring out for special occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad