Lets go retro... Old School equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proby24

Jul 15, 2003
What 'old school' kit do you guys playing really miss?
I for one absolutely hate the modern shoulder pads that are the size of a tank, I think they look stupid and I find them quite restrictive. Love the old Cooper pads from the 70s/80s that were practically made of string and cardboard, in fact I am going to try find a pair on the Bay right now.

Also, despite never having owned one I like the old Cooper helmets (SK2000??) as worn by Mark Messier and Jim Cummins. They just looked tough.

Final mention to the CCM Tacks skates with the 'Pump', as a 13 year old I wanted a pair so bad but couldn't afford them. Loved my old Bauer 1000s though.

Last edited:

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I agree about the shoulder pads. I have them but I wore them a couple of times and put them in the closet where they will sit until my son gets big enough to wear them. I also miss getting the old leather elbow pads shoved in my ear. The new ones with all the plastic sometimes make a dent or two in the side of my head. I'm still skating in my Kangaroo Tacks that I've had for 24 years. 7 sets of holders and blades later they still work. I got some 1052's a couple of years ago and hated them and gave them to my brother. Kevlar is for bullet proof vests not skates.
Damn, now I feel old.......Thanks!

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
you're right..I hate the new shoulder pads, they are just horrible..they make you look like a monster. My favorite shoulder pads were the old Flak ones..god they were so flexible and i had so much motion in them..no restrictions at all. Wish they made some more retro equipment!

Jul 31, 2005
CA
The Jofa brain bucket. Basically a thin layer of plastic on top of your head, I got noting to protect up there, why can't I wear it?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I still wear the same shoulder pads I wore when I was 11 years old just because the new ones suck so bad.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
I'm the only guy I know who still wears suspenders. I've had a few guys comment on it. I'm in an over 40 league now so it hasn't come up in a while.

I was also one of the last guys to convert over to cup shorts with velcro to keep the socks up. Just made the switch a few years ago. I wore garters until then. The only reason I switched is it's one less thing to worry about packing.

I also use leather gloves. They weigh a ton but they fit my hands perfectly and they wear like iron. I tried a lighter pair but the palm wore through in half a season.

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I'm 24 and wear suspenders on my hockey pants, as well as the old fashioned clip garter for my socks. I think I may have seen one other guy with suspenders, and I don't see anyone with the clip garters. Just the velcro kind.

shorre

Jan 4, 2006
oakville , ontario
im 33 now and i still use the same clip garter and suspenders that i used in jr 17 yrs ago.i sstill use the same foam at the bottom of my knee pads 2, to protectthe front of my ankles.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
shorre said:
im 33 now and i still use the same clip garter and suspenders that i used in jr 17 yrs ago.i sstill use the same foam at the bottom of my knee pads 2, to protectthe front of my ankles.

When I used to use garters the buttons would always fall off (actually they rotted off) and then I would use pennies and dimes instead. When I finally went to a girdle I cleaned out my bag I found $2.87 in my bag in dimes and pennies.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
GLU said:
Both Sher-Wood and DR have released old-style shoulder pads.

http://www.sher-wood.com/product_info.php?products_id=87

The DR model is the "Legends 1650." Can't seem to find a link other than to a store.

Shoulders pads I've searched for in stores (with no success) are these: Itech SP 50

They're not really the 'old style', but they look like something ideal for gentlemens hockey.
Any comments?

nni

Dec 29, 2005
cooper-alls i believe it was?

kind of like a spandex/lycra outer with the pads in them. i know they had pants with just a shell and that inside, but i have the shoulder pads, and i love em. had em going on 9 years now. very compact but large enough to do the job.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I really dig the vintage look, but if I am not getting paid to play... I am gonna protect myself as much as I can. Sternum, lower back, wrist area.

Honestly, after the puck drops, I can't feel my equipement at all. Only when I get back to the bench.

but.... I prefer all black skates, CCM or Bauer helmets and the most trad looking high tech I can get.

The guys who do not wear face masks or shoulder pads in beer leagues make me laugh. The puck still flies at 80 mph.... did they get faster with old age? Now they can avoid a stick in the eye, or a puck in the teeth?

I hate playing against these guys because I really do not want to hurt them, but if they get on the ice... they assume the risks.

shorre

Jan 4, 2006
oakville , ontario
Joe Cole said:
I really dig the vintage look, but if I am not getting paid to play... I am gonna protect myself as much as I can. Sternum, lower back, wrist area.

Honestly, after the puck drops, I can't feel my equipement at all. Only when I get back to the bench.

but.... I prefer all black skates, CCM or Bauer helmets and the most trad looking high tech I can get.

The guys who do not wear face masks or shoulder pads in beer leagues make me laugh. The puck still flies at 80 mph.... did they get faster with old age? Now they can avoid a stick in the eye, or a puck in the teeth?

I hate playing against these guys because I really do not want to hurt them, but if they get on the ice... they assume the risks.
ya its called bush league

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
For the most part I tend to go with the latest and greatest. I'm not old enough to be into the retro thing, but I'm old enough to know what it's like playing in it. I still have a pair of Rally Bobby Orr shin pads some where.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I miss Daoust skates, and those cool looking clear Tuuk holders (the translucent Tuuks on the new Bauer One90 skates are cool too, but not the same as the good old CLEAR ones). Well the blue Tuuks were pretty cool too. And I miss some good old stick brands like Titan as well.

JeffW

Apr 2, 2005
Best skates ever, the old 652's with Tuuks. Those things go back 15 or 20 years and with all the fancy high tech skates on the market you still see a couple guys wearing them in every NHL game.

This pair belonged to Ulf Samuelsson.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Petey21 said:
I miss Daoust skates, and those cool looking clear Tuuk holders (the translucent Tuuks on the new Bauer One90 skates are cool too, but not the same as the good old CLEAR ones). Well the blue Tuuks were pretty cool too. And I miss some good old stick brands like Titan as well.

And I thought I was the only one. I always wanted a pair of Daoust skates with the clear tuuks. 99 supremes or something like that.

Growing up my favorite stick was a Titan TPM99. Can you tell I am a big Wayne Gretzky fan.. Anyway, Titan is making sticks again. I saw them over at hockeymonkey.com. I was tempted to buy one, but I hesitant to buy a stick without looking at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad