Letestu Needs to Be Removed From the PP

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Just guessing; perhaps Letestu's main purpose in the PP is to buring rebounds created by Drai and McDavid shooting from sharp angles on the right side? That seems like Letestu's best attribute... quick and accurate one-timing of rebounds.

Side note; Drai was money at sneaking shots through goalies down low at sharp angles last season. What's happened?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
JP does get PP time though, just on the 2nd unit. Or else, why not obsess about putting RNH on the 1st unit? It's weird to have this common obsession with taking one particular player off of one particular line, and replacing him with a very particular player. It's like a cult of Puljujarvi all of a sudden

This was a player that the majority on this board seemed to think would be a bust and were crying that Laine didn't fall to us, and posters like me had to defend Puljujarvi, pointing out how Drai had a rough first year too.

About the 1st paragrpah, I simply see it in a different way. Yes there are other options such as Nuge, too, but usually the teams would make sure they get to use a shot like Jesse's as much as possible on the PP. I mean just give it a go and see how it goes.

Why do you think the Jets use Laine in the 1st PP? Because they have discovered that when they put the best eggs together and have two great shots they score more. They don't give him some 30-40 seconds, of which maybe 20 seconds is controlled time in the offensive zone, to play with lesser players and to play at a wrong position.

And the 2nd paragraph. It's good you were defending Jesse. But it's almost funny to read about "his struggles" everywhere. The fact is he was doing fine until the last stretch of games, and even then he was doing okay most of time, but couldn't produce enough offensively with Caggiula and Pouliot.

The benching obviously affected him and his rawness showed more, but until that most people were actually excited about him. For the ice-time and lack of PP time his stats were fine or even good, too. His points/60 and corsis were actually even the 2nd best and the best of the team, but that all is forgotten nowadays. I don't really mind that, but want to bring it up once in a while :)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seeing Letestu getting trotted out there time and time again yesterday was so infuriating. When I saw him on the 4 on 3 to start OT I knew that we weren't going to score. When they put Nuge out there with 20 seconds left the PP looked much better. So now instead of getting Letestu off the top unit we bumped Nuge to the 1st unit so that the 2nd unit will struggle along with the top unit. If our 3 best forwards can't get the top PP unit going then maybe, just MAYBE Letestu should get bumped down.

#1 Unit
___________Looch__________
Puljujarvi____________McDavid
___________Nuge__________
__________Klefbom_________

#2 Unit
___________Maroon_________
Strome______________Draisaitl
__________Cammalleri_______
__________Sekera__________

IMO Drai and Connor should be separated for their own goods on the PP.

Reactions: LMFAO

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Craig Button ripped into the coaching staff. He says they are most likely the problem here instead of the players. Very stubborn.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Craig Button ripped into the coaching staff. He says they are most likely the problem here instead of the players. Very stubborn.

Hopefully this is something that Chia is considering. While Schultz was damaged goods he was able to turn it round under a new staff. Hall, Eberle and Nuge (prior to this season) had their worst seasons here while under him. The special teams is beyond brutal, I understand that we don't have that stud 1D to dominate a PP, but we have more than enough tools available to have a damn good PP.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
The thing thats really irritating about the pp is Mcdavid is a good enough player that he could set up from the opposite side he usually operates from but either Woodcroft is telling him not to do that or Mcdavid is being stubborn as well and just doesn't want to work from there. My guy tells me its "not good to go against the strategy" and Woodcroft is too stupid to realize at least if Connor was on the opposite side you'd have multiple 1 time options from Drai and Klefbom.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
The thing thats really irritating about the pp is Mcdavid is a good enough player that he could set up from the opposite side he usually operates from but either Woodcroft is telling him not to do that or Mcdavid is being stubborn as well and just doesn't want to work from there. My guy tells me its "not good to go against the strategy" and Woodcroft is too stupid to realize at least if Connor was on the opposite side you'd have multiple 1 time options from Drai and Klefbom.

That's what really gets me. Letestu is there cause they need that right handed shot... so we now the best players on the team shoot left, why in gods name don't they just flip it so McDavid is working from the opposite side setting up the lefties and also good players for the one timers rather than trying to make Letestu into some kind of PP whiz kid when he's clearly not? Just don't understand the logic there. Too rigid in the thinking on the PP. Just let the players go out there and be creative on their own.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
I just watched Winnipeg game and how they run their PP. Even without their top center it is effective and there is lots of options. I can’t understand why our PP is run so that we keep the puck on right half wall and left side we have Letestu as a shooter who doesn’t move and when he gets the puck he doesn’t shoot. I mean how many PP shots he has per 60 minutes of PP? Should be enormous amount because he is only RH shooter there and others can only pass for him when puck is kept on right half wall (Connor). Can someone dig some stats regarding how many PP shots Letestu has compared to other RH shooters?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I just watched Winnipeg game and how they run their PP. Even without their top center it is effective and there is lots of options. I can’t understand why our PP is run so that we keep the puck on right half wall and left side we have Letestu as a shooter who doesn’t move and when he gets the puck he doesn’t shoot. I mean how many PP shots he has per 60 minutes of PP? Should be enormous amount because he is only RH shooter there and others can only pass for him when puck is kept on right half wall (Connor). Can someone dig some stats regarding how many PP shots Letestu has compared to other RH shooters?

Jets have Laine& Buff as the shooting threats on the point, normally they have Scheifele in the mix as well.
When Scheifele is healthy he and Laine are constantly changing places to mess up with the pk.

Edmontons answer is unmovable Letestu and we all should know how that compares :laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This gets stated often, the ire shouldn't be directed at Letestu, the disgust should certainly be focused on Chia who has McD, and Drai, two of the best pure passers in the game, and 3years into his tenure here had not addressed the need to hire one legit one time gun slinger and has even traded the best pure scorer we had, Eberle, for Ryan Strome. Not that Eberle is a one timer, but just saying.

We have more trouble scoring on the PP now and people wonder why with Maroon and Lucic being our best wingers and Lucic and Maroon are legendary as well at muffing pure setups. For every 10 times you set these guys up with massive chances they score 1-2 goals. Letestu, really, is not far worse than that and he's in the role he is in because our GM has not acquired better.

We're half way through a season, and our top goal scorer on the whole team has 15 goals. That alone is reason for indictment of the GM and explains more than just our PP woes.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This gets stated often, the ire shouldn't be directed at Letestu, the disgust should certainly be focused on Chia who has McD, and Drai, two of the best pure passers in the game, and 3years into his tenure here had not addressed the need to hire one legit one time gun slinger and has even traded the best pure scorer we had, Eberle, for Ryan Strome. Not that Eberle is a one timer, but just saying.

We have more trouble scoring on the PP now and people wonder why with Maroon and Lucic being our best wingers and Lucic and Maroon are legendary as well at muffing pure setups. For every 10 times you set these guys up with massive chances they score 1-2 goals. Letestu, really, is not far worse than that and he's in the role he is in because our GM has not acquired better.

We're half way through a season, and our top goal scorer on the whole team has 15 goals. That alone is reason for indictment of the GM and explains more than just our PP woes.

Letestu by all accounts is a great guy and teammate so I agree that this isn't about attacking the player but instead the coaching staff. No one ever claimed that he'd be a top 6 guy here or on the top PP unit when we signed him. For all intents and purposes he was to be a more offensive Boyd Gordon type.

IMO Puljujarvi and even Strome should've been given a kick at the can in Letestu's spot already. I have a hard time believing that either could've done worse. When you have 2 players on the top PP that aren't the best at handling the puck that is a detriment to the PP. Looch I get because he's big, screens the goalie, deflects pucks and is strong along the boards, same for Maroon. But Letestu is there as a shooting option and to a degree a faceoff option as well. Yet we have him carry the puck through the neutral zone at times, handling it far too much in the offensive zone, etc.

What would it really hurt right now to have Jesse in his spot right now? Would that unit really get worse? Could it get worse? I wish that the Edmonton media would grow a pair and start asking Todd why Jesse isn't in a shooting spot on the PP?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Strome has had ample rotation on the PP, and as a topsix or topnine player on this club is the most devoid of scoring instinct. This being a player that on occasion passes off on an empty net or doesn't follow a rebound to the net or doesn't stay with the play etc.

My take is that Strome, while possessing talent, and that has some skill and coordination has a reaction that for some reason betrays him. The key to success at the highest level of hockey is to be able to react instantly in real time. To make almost inate decisions immediately, in the moment. Its this latter aspect that seems to let Strome down and I don't think even he trusts himself.

Letestu is on the PP because he is resolute. He doesn't get mentally destroyed, or down when he flubs an opportunity, he'll still keep trying and often enough makes a play or goal when least expected.

I've been hard on Letestu on the board, and never much saw the need to recruit him, but he's far from the problem.

Strome is a problem because he addresses none of the team needs and does not slot in on pk either. He's a nothing player on this team in terms of making any overt contribution.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Next, Pulju, while immensely talented isn't mentally ready to shoulder too much responsibility either. The coaching staff is recognizing this, and I am too, that he gets down on himself when he shanks a shot, doesn't finish, or doesn't come up with much. The player is also still learning schemes, how to play in the NHL, where to go, how to cloak etc.

Something though tells me the kid just needs time and that patience and gradually giving him responsibility may be the right choice. Interestingly some players play better when they get more opportunity. Jesse is for some reason still at the point where his play diminishes when he gets added weight. He seems at his best when his minutes are moderate and he has to work to get them.

he'll be OK. It was wrong for Chia to think Pulju would be ready to be the teams Jari Kurri this quickly.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..

Just figured out why Letestu, doesn't move on the PP

lHlpf6t.png

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Letestu is on the PP because he is resolute. He doesn't get mentally destroyed, or down when he flubs an opportunity, he'll still keep trying and often enough makes a play or goal when least expected

Wait, what? Well shucks... the career 4th line plugger is "resolute". Todd, is that you?

He's "resolute" because every time the puck touches his stick he immediately flubs opportunities and/or turns it over. On one of the PP's I saw last game he got the puck, had tons of time to do something with it for a zone entry and threw it away laterally to nobody at the blueline. He's an absolute joke and opposing teams must be thanking their lucky stars the idiots behind the bench keep throwing him out there. That seam pass for his one timer that was so deadly has been taken away since the beginning of the season but our "coaches" haven't seem to realized that yet.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. Why are these "coaches" so stubborn in their refusal to make any changes when things clearly aren't working? How many games will it take until they realize that Letestu and Benning on the PP have hampered the units and do nothing for them? How many until they realize that having everybody stationary is incredibly easy to defend against? How many until they put Jesse in a position that utilizes his strengths? 82? 164? 1500? Sharks fans warned us and they were bang on. Todd and his friends are donkeys that have been left behind by the NHL. Inability to adapt is inexcusable.

But honestly, the problem is identified in that sentence of yours. It reads as if describing a 4th liner. Todd treats him as if he's the straw that stirs the drink. This decision alone should be grounds to fire the entire coaching staff. It's cost this team the season. A half functional special teams and this team likely has another 4 or 5 wins this season and still is in the thick of the playoff race.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wait, what? Well shucks... the career 4th line plugger is "resolute". Todd, is that you?

He's "resolute" because every time the puck touches his stick he immediately flubs opportunities and/or turns it over. On one of the PP's I saw last game he got the puck last game, had tons of time to do something with it for a zone entry and threw it away laterally to nobody at the blueline. He's an absolute joke and opposing teams must be thanking their lucky stars the idiots behind the bench keep throwing him out there. That seam pass for his one timer that was so deadly has been taken away since the beginning of the season but our "coaches" haven't seem to realized that yet.

But honestly, the problem is identified in that sentence of yours. It reads as if describing a 4th liner. Todd treat him as if he's the straw that stirs the drink. This decision alone should be ground to fire the entire coaching staff. It's cost this team the season. A half functional special teams and this team likely has another 4 or 5 wins this season and still is in the thick of the playoff race.

Yeah, the coaches are idiots because they don't throw Mike Bossy or Jari Kurri out there on the PP.

Oh wait, our top goal scorer on the whole club has 15 goals. We're a team without a bonafide goal scorer. OBVIOUSLY.

But back to the scheduled PP is bad, the team is bad because of Letestu programming.

EVERBODY on this team is failing on the PP. Or just failing period.

maybe teams should be laughing at Chia for leaving this dogs breakfast winger lineup. I know I am.

Reactions: Supermassive

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Yeah, the coaches are idiots because they don't throw Mike Bossy or Jari Kurri out there on the PP.
This is a non sequitur. You're not going to draw parallels between different situations.

Oh wait, our top goal scorer on the whole club has 15 goals. We're a team without a bonafide goal scorer. OBVIOUSLY.

And Letestu is not that. Why not actually put players in position to succeed and stop being stubborn while refusing to change things up? The definition of insanity...

But back to the scheduled PP is bad, the team is bad because of Letestu programming.

The PP is bad for a multitude of reasons. The coaches behind the bench bear responsibility for their inability to put a proper system in place. They bear responsibility for being unable to diagnose issues they're exacerbating. They bear responsibility for continuously trotting a player out there that has no business on an NHL PP.

EVERBODY on this team is failing on the PP. Or just failing period.

I don't disagree. Why won't the idiots behind the bench, you know, actually coach and try something else. Again, the definition of insanity...

maybe teams should be laughing at Chia for leaving this dogs breakfast winger lineup. I know I am.

Maybe he should get him a team full of Letestu's, Benning's and Caggiula's. Those seem to be his charges.

Reactions: tsnTpoint

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Letestu has no business being on an NHL power play. His flash of lightning from last year expired a long time ago.

How stupidly stubborn is our coaching staff!? I am starting to turn on Todd because he absolutely refuses to pull Letestu off the power play. Lately he has been making the dumbest hockey IQ decisions known to a power play, get him off already.

Adding to this it absolutely boggles my mind when I see Letestu out on those 5 on 3's.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is a non sequitur. You're not going to draw parallels between different situations.

And Letestu is not that. Why not actually put players in position to succeed and stop being stubborn while refusing to change things up? The definition of insanity...

The PP is bad for a multitude of reasons. The coaches behind the bench bear responsibility for their inability to put a proper system in place. They bear responsibility for being unable to diagnose issues they're exacerbating. They bear responsibility for continuously trotting a player out there that has no business on an NHL PP.

I don't disagree. Why won't the idiots behind the bench, you know, actually coach and try something else. Again, the definition of insanity...

Maybe he should get him a team full of Letestu's, Benning's and Caggiula's. Those seem to be his charges.

In short its the coaches fault the team has no legit finishers. I'm not sure what you're saying. Every talented player on this club, even remotely capable of scoring, is seeing ample toi on the PP. Except Pulju, who will, in time.

In the meanwhile we have to forcefeed dolts like Letestu, Strome, on the PP because we don't have a lineup that can fill out even two PP units not deserving of a laughtrack.

PP's like anything else, require wingers. Which other than Lucic we are plum out of.

The biggest example of repeated insanity seen with the Oilers is roster lineups that are full of holes ALWAYS. Who's fault is that?

next, this whole season, a critical season, has been on the rails for two solid months if not seen to be that at the start of the season, what actions, acquisitions are being made to address that?

Cammaleri, Walker, Auvitu, Malone, lol.

That the coaches are even flying the Auvitu as forward flag is a lol obvious sign about what they think about the Chia winger lineup sitting under the Christmas tree. There is hardly ever a case in which the coaching staff not being on board with the lineup granted is so obvious.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
In short its the coaches fault the team has no legit finishers. I'm not sure what you're saying. Every talented player on this club, even remotely capable of scoring, is seeing ample toi on the PP. Except Pulju, who will, in time.

In the meanwhile we have to forcefeed dolts like Letestu, Strome, on the PP because we don't have a lineup that can fill out even two PP units not deserving of a laughtrack.

PP's like anything else, require wingers. Which other than Lucic we are plum out of.

The biggest example of repeated insanity seen with the Oilers is roster lineups that are full of holes ALWAYS. Who's fault is that?

next, this whole season, a critical season, has been on the rails for two solid months if not seen to be that at the start of the season, what actions, acquisitions are being made to address that?

Cammaleri, Walker, Auvitu, Malone, lol.

That the coaches are even flying the Auvitu as forward flag is a lol obvious sign about what they think about the Chia winger lineup sitting under the Christmas tree. There is hardly ever a case in which the coaching staff not being on board with the lineup granted is so obvious.
There's plenty of blame to go around, that's for sure.

Chia has failed miserably at identifying areas on the roster that needed to be improved after being blinded by last season's excellent play from Talbot, McDavid, Drai and some others that succeeded in covering up warts. Signing players to contract extensions they have no business receiving. When internet posters can correctly identify the areas in which a team needs to improve more than its GM, that's a problem. Failing to retain efficient players that balanced the makeup of this roster etc... the list goes on.

Likewise when an NHL head coach refuses to take control of his team and do the sensical thing, what is one supposed to believe? Sharks fans repeatedly told Oilers fans that Todd and his friends (whose job employment status he seems to hold in higher regard than the results they produce) were incredibly stubborn, couldn't adapt during games and whose systems were needlessly convoluted and didn't utilize the strengths of their players. They were right... though the warning signs of not being able to take an absolutely stacked Sharks teams all the way is an indictment in and of itself. Listening to his soundbites post and pre game make him sound more clueless than Dallas Eakins, which is a pretty special achievement. Sobering when a coach all but admits he doesn't have the answers or doesn't understand how to potentially find them.

I am extremely skeptical that this team will ever have any sustained success with the coaching staff we have at the moment, regardless of the makeup of the roster. They don't get the benefit of the doubt when they make stupid coaching decisions repeatedly such as throwing out the 4th line + 3rd pairing out at the end of periods/games with reckless abandon time and time again.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
What, you don’t like the one goal he got with his right hand shot this year??

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Another change McLellen could try is maybe Nurse. I seriously can't recall him on a single PP this season. I've watched every game, don't remember seeing him out there once.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Just guessing; perhaps Letestu's main purpose in the PP is to buring rebounds created by Drai and McDavid shooting from sharp angles on the right side? That seems like Letestu's best attribute... quick and accurate one-timing of rebounds.

Side note; Drai was money at sneaking shots through goalies down low at sharp angles last season. What's happened?

I wouldn't mind this if you have another RH shot

One that that bugs me with Letestu is unless the team is completely set (thus where he starts standing still), he drifts towards the puck and net, and not giving his teammate an option on the weak side of the ice.

If they're so embattled to Letestu on the top unit, that you should be having one of Strome, Pulju, Benning or even Slepyshev on the LW half wall/point, and Mark in the slot working as the bumper.

So say...

___________----___________
..................Lucic/Drai
................Letestu....McDavid
Puljujarvi.....Klefbom

This way he's free to be a floater in the slot/net area, and you still have a RH shot ready to be teed up and control the play on the LW side

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Another change McLellen could try is maybe Nurse. I seriously can't recall him on a single PP this season. I've watched every game, don't remember seeing him out there once.

Holy god yes. I was just going to say the exact same thing. Klefbom has been bad on the PP this year as well as Letestu. Benning hasn't been great on the PP nor has Sekera, what harm is there in at least trying Nurse on the PP? He is the only defenseman on the team that isn't playing below where he was expected to.

Give it a try with Nurse as the D and Puljujarvi in Letestu's spot, just to see if it changes anything. I guarantee it gives teams more to think about because #1 you put a hell of a lot more speed on the unit and #2 I don't think you'd see the unit be so routine because both players seem to have more ability to make a play on their own if they need to. Letestu and Klefbom both just try and shoot or make slow passes to other players to try and set up that shot. Puljujarvi and Nurse add more dynamic options and yes Klefbom can hammer the puck harder than Nurse, but what good has that done this year? Klefbom can't get his shot on net this year anyway.

What's the harm in trying that? Worst case it doesn't work, best case it makes the PP harder to defend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad