Letestu Needs to Be Removed From the PP

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The PP is too damn predictable and Test isn't quick enough in terms of passing or skating to be anything more than a shooting option. He did an admirable job last season, but that magic has gone the way of the Corey Potter Powerplay.

Jesse Puljujarvi on the other hand is playing hard, has the ability to carry the puck, is a much better passer, is a much better skater, etc., etc. This team isn't scoring very well at ES so we need to maximize every PP opportunity that we get and Letestu clearly isn't helping us do that. Getting Puljujarvi going will help this team immensely.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Pronto. Put Cammy in there somewhere instead on the 1st unit and keep him there; he's going to get his goals -- someone with a much better shot. I realize Cammy is a lefty as opposed to a righty like Letestu, which is why I said to fit him in there somewhere. I guess it's hard to find a spot on the PP for a guy who has proven all his career to be lethal on the PP with his wicked one-timer...

If they want to keep the similar set-play with Letestu, then try it on the opposite side with Cammy, who's a smarter player with a much better shot. Have Drai feed him from the left circle. Just a thought.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Aw man, no more sweet Letestu rushes for zone entries? Who would we use instead? Everyone is so addicted to giving him the puck on the rush, I feel the team will be lost without him.

Reactions: onetweasy

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Move him to pp2. Also not sure if Lucic is doing much as the muscle, the one thing he should really excel at. Battles well with the d but no real results for the mess made in front. I could definitely be wrong, admit I tend to puck watch during the PP.

At least the passing is crisper and decided quicker than at times last year. Not as painful as everyone on both teams and in the crowd knowing where the puck was going about .5s before it went. Is telegraphed the right term?

A plan 1b setup for the PP would be prudent as nothing they are doing now seems too hard for opp teams to scout and stop. A PP with McDavid and Drai should be able to make others poop at the thought. Maybe a player smack dab in the middle to deflect shots and float into soft spots on either side for a wrister??? Seemed to be how Nuge and others on the team were used at the Kinda World Cup of Hockey TM.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
The entire first powerplay is a mess. They should be embarrassed at how badly the second unit is outplaying them.

Letestu has been the worst by far though, get him off that unit. Also have McDavid and Draisaitl on opposite sides. They pass the puck way too much and the opposition knows it. There are always player in their passing lanes now, because they are way too damn predictable.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Corey Potter Power Play!! How could I forget about that.

I agree though. Our power play sets up the same way every time, and they stand still much too often causing them to lose the zone.

Letestu would be a good option on the point like Stoll was. But he is bad how they are utilizing him right now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Move him to pp2. Also not sure if Lucic is doing much as the muscle, the one thing he should really excel at. Battles well with the d but no real results for the mess made in front. I could definitely be wrong, admit I tend to puck watch during the PP.

At least the passing is crisper and decided quicker than at times last year. Not as painful as everyone on both teams and in the crowd knowing where the puck was going about .5s before it went. Is telegraphed the right term?

A plan 1b setup for the PP would be prudent as nothing they are doing now seems too hard for opp teams to scout and stop. A PP with McDavid and Drai should be able to make others poop at the thought. Maybe a player smack dab in the middle to deflect shots and float into soft spots on either side for a wrister??? Seemed to be how Nuge and others on the team were used at the Kinda World Cup of Hockey TM.

I'd keep Strome there on the 2nd unit. Letestu may well be paying himself off of the team right now. Strome still has an RFA year or two left so it'd be in our best interest to pump up his trade value if we don't see him as a long term fit. Also Strome is a much better passer than Letestu. I'd have Letestu focus on his ES and PK play. As for Looch, there needs to be more shots on net to utilize his presence up front.

The entire first powerplay is a mess. They should be embarrassed at how badly the second unit is outplaying them.

Letestu has been the worst by far though, get him off that unit. Also have McDavid and Draisaitl on opposite sides. They pass the puck way too much and the opposition knows it. There are always player in their passing lanes now, because they are way too damn predictable.

Agreed. Letestu isn't the only problem on that unit, but it needs a shakeup and someone with a higher skill level that can also shoot (and shoot even better) is available. Jesse has been able to get his shot away pretty well at ES, so it should be even easier on the PP. And since Connor and Drai are going to keep trying t pass the puck into the net, we may as well have at least 2 players on that unit always looking for the shot in Klefbom and Puljujarvi.

Corey Potter Power Play!! How could I forget about that.

I agree though. Our power play sets up the same way every time, and they stand still much too often causing them to lose the zone.

Letestu would be a good option on the point like Stoll was. But he is bad how they are utilizing him right now.

He's too slow to cover the point IMO. I think that he is our 3rd best RH PP option right now so it's time to move him off the PP for a bit. On a side note, hopefully with Cammalleri's addition we are also done seeing Caggiula on the PP.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Definitely needs to be taken off. He brings the puck in so slow at the blue line and then drops it off to Draisaitl or McDavid on the right side while someone is right on his tail putting them in a horrible spot. Or just completely flubs the pass. Lucic and Letestu are just not PP type players IMO. I know they both put up big PP numbers last year but they just don't have the puck skills to keep plays going.

McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Maroon, Caggiula, Strome, Cammalleri, Puljujarvi should be the forwards on both units IMO.

Puljujarvi - Caggiula - Drai
Klefbom - McDavid

Nuge - Maroon - Cammalleri
Sekera - Strome

This is what I'd go with

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
I really don't think Stu is the problem. The entire unit looks a bit complacent to me. Remove Lucic immediately... that play down low where he tries to jam it is just terrible.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I think the amount of soft passes these guys try and make is just ridiculous. pass it with a purpose, they think they're better than they are

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wouldn't be opposed to a Letestu trade to get a younger, cheaper, signed next yearer option for 4C and the PK.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not enough right shots on the top unit imo. Need more than one time shooting option for McDavid or Drai to hit. This team could really use a right shot d-man with some offensive acumen.

Whether that is replacing Letestu and Klefbom or just Klef on the top unit. I'm not sure.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
He needs to be removed from the lineup period. Horrible player. Kassian is another guy that I would sit for a game hoping to wake him up.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
He's the offensive version of Corey Potter. Had one flukey season of exceptional power plays and now back to being a fringe nhl player

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not enough right shots on the top unit imo. Need more than one time shooting option for McDavid or Drai to hit. This team could really use a right shot d-man with some offensive acumen.

Whether that is replacing Letestu and Klefbom or just Klef on the top unit. I'm not sure.

I'd slot Puljujarvi into his spot. In terms of a RH point man, I agree, we could really use one with a big shot.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Why don't the atleast try putting Mcdavid opposite of his usual side boards position it'd open Klefbom up for 1 timers but than again we are talking about Woodcroft who has no idea how to identify the problem with the pp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad