Let this be a lesson to you draft newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
steblick said:
I was a part-time scout at a few levels including the NHL and I still do other pt work connected to the league and hockey development. But please don't ask for details.

By the way, it is true that some NHL teams/scouts will (usually quietly) scoff at other teams' picks as being in the ***!!?? category.

Just curious what was your reaction when you heard who the Flames took in the first round? Great post by the way!!

Canucks-R-best

Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
the thing that gets me is when a team drafts a player, and the fans disagree and now that player sucks..take two years ago...Canucks draft Ryan Kesler a tall, dangly awsome skating center who according to pierre maguire has a lack of a scoring touch. All of a sudden canuck fans go bezerk hating burke and his scouts (not me i stood by kesler and if you dont believe me look in the archives i've always been behind kesler) Fast forward a year or two and now kesler is our best prospect and cnucks fans would riot if management were to hire him. Same thing with Schneider and to a degree with Bourdon..Because he is not what u expected does not mean the player sucks

P.S. I dont mean all nuck fans in my comments just some

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
flambers said:
Just curious what was your reaction when you heard who the Flames took in the first round? Great post by the way!!

I wasn't shocked. I actually expect 6 or 7 "surprise" picks in the first round. I'd be more surprised if the actual draft followed the consensus set by Redline et al.

As for Pelech, I saw him only once this year due to injuries and he didn't make an impression except that he works quite hard and has a massive frame. That b-day of his has to be an attraction too. However, he has a rep as a gamer, character-guy and rock-solid d-man. I just hope the injuries don't keep hampering his development.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
steblick said:
I wasn't shocked. I actually expect 6 or 7 "surprise" picks in the first round. I'd be more surprised if the actual draft followed the consensus set by Redline et al.

As for Pelech, I saw him only once this year due to injuries and he didn't make an impression except that he works quite hard and has a massive frame. That b-day of his has to be an attraction too. However, he has a rep as a gamer, character-guy and rock-solid d-man. I just hope the injuries don't keep hampering his development.

2 broken jaws are a mjor concern.

Matt Gunning

Jul 29, 2002
Atlanta
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I can't remember a draft not having surprises.
Edmonton drafts Jesse Niinimaki 15th overall while people leaf through their draft guides trying to figure out what the **** is going on. The guy in his trailer says this is the most shocking draft ever.

This is one of the best posts I've read this year. It is sooo true.

I've attended 2 of the last 3 drafts open to the public and everyone expresses shock and surprise about certain picks, but if they work out who cares. It really is shocking how much teams will disagree about where to rank prospects. In the 2005 draft there were great differences of opinion about players after the top 6 or so. I remember the Blake Wheeler pick as one of the best examples of that. At Carolina I ran into Kyle Woodlief of Red Line Report and he said that you have to trust your scouts and if you think he will develp into a star you take regardless of what others think.

Matt Gunning

Jul 29, 2002
Atlanta
Visit site
SJeasy said:
clefty or anyone else,

Scoutingwise, do any organizations do psychological (IQ, personality, etc.) testing of draft candidates?

Many teams also do interviews with top picks. When Atlanta had to choose between Kovalchuk and Spezza in 2001. Atlanta's GM talked to both in person. In the Spezza interview Spezza's dad answered almost question instead of his son. When Kovalchuk came to North America he was answering questions through an interpreter. Don Waddell waited for the intepreter guy to go to the restroom and then snuck off with Kovalchuk one-on-one time. His English was better than advertised and of course we know that they ended up taking Kovalchuk.

Someone asked a question about scouting in practice. I had the chance to have a meal with a European scout who described just how much work it can be in Europe. The Swedish and Finnish leagues are pretty organzied, but the Czeck and Slovak junior teams will change game times and even games days with little or no advance notice. There are no programs, so the scout has to get their early enough to go down and copy the roster and jersey numbes from the offical scorer before the match starts. You travel a lot and I think that the job would get really old about two months into the season.

Leafs 67 and Waiting

Jul 15, 2005
USA
Fantastic post well done. Being a huge Dallas Stars fan I was wondering what your thoughts were on Dallas taking James Neal over Latandrese with the 33rd pick in the second round. It was a bit of a shock to be honest.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Vinland said:
2 broken jaws are a mjor concern.

Why? It was a fluke injury. For the player to get drafted in the first round obviously they don't feel its a major concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad