Let this be a lesson to you draft newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I'm going to sound like your Dad here. Be forewarned.

I've been watching drafts for almost 30 years- and have actively been involved in several.

Every year I hear draft newbies (especially now with the Internet) saying things like, "You're an idiot! No way does player X drop out of the top 2 rounds", or, "No way in hell will Player Y be drafted in the 1st round. Are you nuts?" and finally, "There is no way that team X will pass on player Y if he's still available".

Yet "odd" and unexpected draft positions happen every year with great frequency. This should (hopefully) cause some of you to temper your claims next year and say "It's unlikely that.." or "It's doubtful that.." instead of claiming absolute knowledge and resorting to calling others idiots etc.

Some picks do seem stunning but there is a common reasoning to it. For example in this draft Fla. took Olivier Legault at #104. Carolina then too Jakub Vojta at #105. Does Fla really think Olivier is a better player than Vojta? No. If Mike Keenan were putting an all-star junior team together for a match right now I'm sure Vojta would be much higher on his list than Legault. BUT the Panthers staff must have decided that whatever talent Vojta has, he is very unlikely to become an NHL player. The fact that he may well have a good career in Europe while Legault becomes a gas pump jockey makes no difference to the Panthers. On the other hand, the Fla staff must feel that Legault has a reasonable shot at developing his basic skills to become a legit NHL tough guy and thereby end up contributing somehow to the club. Again, it's not about "who has the most talent" it is "who might be more likely to eventually contribute in some form to our club".
For the record though, I feel that ignoring Vojta was a mistake because I do believe he can and will play at a reasonable NHL level. But history does show that late-round big tough guys sometime do end up making more of an impact than 2nd-3rd round career Euros.

By the way, I also find it interesting that purported winners and/or losers of this draft are judged so according to how many of their players that were highly-ranked by Redline, ISS or McKeen's were picked- as if these ranking services still remain the arbiters of "truth". In fact, they are just as variant as any single NHL team's draft list. Too many posters here seem to see them as some sort of Bible from which deviation is some kind of sin.

One last point- in 5 to 10 years it is interesting to see again who the best picks actually were. In my experience, it is an equal mixture: some of those guys who many rating services had high but NHL teams avoided DO end up doing well. But here seems to be an equal amount of success with NHL teams' off-the-wall picks. And then there are are always a few who come from absolutely nowhere. Anyway, ALL of these eventual top-30 ists are far, far different from what comes out in the January of any draft year whe we first start hearing draft neophytes calling everyone an "idiot, who doesn't have a clue".

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Steblick is right, but it's going to happen all over again next year anyways.

It happens every year.

I have accepted long ago that world peace will happen before idiots leave message boards and stop dropping gems of ignorance on us.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Vlad The Impaler said:
Steblick is right, but it's going to happen all over again next year anyways.

It happens every year.

I have accepted long ago that world peace will happen before idiots leave message boards and stop dropping gems of ignorance on us.

Yep, I agree with you Vlad, next year Steblick can cut and paste his post from this year. Steblick, you make some very good points. :)

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
"It's not true you're crazy i never read this" - HFBoards member :innocent:

No i agree with you with this and always have and it pisses me off how people are like WTF was that move as if they know more then the scouts.... Good post

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Hedberg16 said:
How were you actively involved?
I was a part-time scout at a few levels including the NHL and I still do other pt work connected to the league and hockey development. But please don't ask for details.

By the way, it is true that some NHL teams/scouts will (usually quietly) scoff at other teams' picks as being in the WTF!!?? category.

Last edited:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
steblick said:
I was a part-time scout at a few levels including the NHL and I still do other pt work connected to the league and hockey development. But please don't ask for details.
Cool.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
can we at least say trading a second rounder to move up 4 picks to get a guy you could have gotten 4 picks down is a bone head move?

not to point my fingers at any west coast team.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
boredmale said:
can we at least say trading a second rounder to move up 4 picks to get a guy you could have gotten 4 picks down is a bone head move?

not to point my fingers at any west coast team.

Probably the same as the Blake Wheeler thing

Phoenix could have traded down to take Wheeler, but rumors were heavy that the Islanders wanted to take Wheeler before Phoenix would have had the chance to pick, so Phoenix reached and took him.

San Jose must have heard that Setoguchi was gonna be taken before the 12th pick.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This is funny old draft (funnier than usual to me anyway). A lot of prospects with sizable question marks of one type or another, yet are prospects that could overcome them and make this a strong draft. Any of the top 10-15 (excluding you know who and probably Johnson) could easily be busts/underperformers. But most of them have the potential to turn into stars. I'm just having trouble ranking this draft compared to others, it looks weaker but could be quite a strong draft if things go well.

Don't know what everyone else thinks.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
This draft had more than a few surprises. I'll wager a bet and say the top 40 picks could have been interchangeable almost.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
steblick said:
One last point- in 5 to 10 years it is interesting to see again who the best picks actually were. In my experience, it is an equal mixture: some of those guys who many rating services had high but NHL teams avoided DO end up doing well. But here seems to be an equal amount of success with NHL teams' off-the-wall picks. And then there are are always a few who come from absolutely nowhere. Anyway, ALL of these eventual top-30 ists are far, far different from what comes out in the January of any draft year whe we first start hearing draft neophytes calling everyone an "idiot, who doesn't have a clue".

This is why I don't understand the criticism of San Jose trading up to get Setoguchi.

kmad said:
San Jose must have heard that Setoguchi was gonna be taken before the 12th pick.

Yeah they very well could have, absolutely right.

Why should they sit on their hands or cross their fingers hoping he's available if they know who their man is? Its called being pro-active. Just because a bunch of kids on a website or some independant scouting website doesn't see fit to rank him in the top ten is meaningless. Team scouts are supposed to formulate their own lists, not constantly refer to and abide by someone else's.

Last edited:

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
clefty said:
Why should they sit on their hands or cross their fingers hoping he's available if they know who their man is? Its called being pro active. Just because a bunch of kids on a website or some independant scouting website doesn't see fit to rank him in the top ten isn't relevant. Team scouts are supposed to formulate their own lists, not constantly reference to and abide by someone else's.

Exactly. Like the Sens, for example. They had Brian Lee ranked #4 on their list. Virtually every public source/opinion had the same top 6 of Crosby/Kopitar/Johnson/Brule/Ryan/Pouliot, yet the Sens' scouts saw this kid as better than at least 3 of them.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
clefty said:
This is why I don't understand the criticism of San Jose trading up to get Setoguchi.

Yeah they very well could have, absolutely right.

Why should they sit on their hands or cross their fingers hoping he's available if they know who their man is? Its called being pro-active. Just because a bunch of kids on a website or some independant scouting website doesn't see fit to rank him in the top ten is meaningless. Team scouts are supposed to formulate their own lists, not constantly refer to and abide by someone else's.
Definetaly, I got a distinct impression from TSN's interview with Doug Wilson immediately after the pick that he didn't think Setoguchi would be around at the 12th pick, but maybe that was just me.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I can't remember a draft not having surprises.

It's the same every year. A sort of concensus emerges. It's a sort of averaging of all scouting reports. Then it's shattered on draft day. Just to go in the 2000s:

2000: Euros are all the rage. Several services hype Gaborik. As we get closer there are rumblings that Milbury might go mad. He does. DiPietro becomes first goalie ever to be drafted 1st overall. Gaborik goes 3rd behind Heatley. Our friend Darth curses the day Milbury was hired. For a long while Martin Samuelsson was thought to be a potential top 5 but falls to the bottom of the first round. The Habs cause a bit of a surprise by drafting Hainsey.

Artem Kryukov is drafted. Someone in his trailer says this is the most shocking thing ever.

2001: After months of Spezky-mania, it is now pretty much concensus that Kovalchuk is first and Spezza second. There is also a concensus top 5 completed by Weiss, Svitov and Chistov but nobody has them in the same order. People are really split on Blackburn and Leclaire, the same way people were split on the goalies this year and last. Blackburn seems to be slightly more popular but goes second to Pascal.

Adrian Foster is drafted. Some people had him as a late round pick. The guy in his trailer says this is the most shocking thing ever.

2002: Bouwmeester does not go #1 despite the hype. P-M Bouchard is rated all over the map, but most often as a mid to low first rounder. He goes 8th overall. Some scouting service have Babchuk as a top 5 guy but he goes 21st. Several players are little surprises originally and considered a tad early or late.

Edmonton drafts Jesse Niinimaki 15th overall while people leaf through their draft guides trying to figure out what the **** is going on. The guy in his trailer says this is the most shocking draft ever.

2003: It is a deep draft, said to be of known quantities. There is a concensus top 4. If we do a survey, Staal probably has a thin lead but it is Fleury who goes first. There is also somewhat of a concensus that Coburn is going to be the first D selected. It is said that the Preds love the WHL and all sorts of things. Poile gives the finger and takes Suter. Carter is a bit of a surprise to the uneducated at 11th overall and Pierre McGuire goes crazy as Parise continues to fall. Gues like Kost, Stewart, Bernier are rated all over the map and that's where they go.

Minnesota drafts Brent Burns 20th overall when he wasn't on most people's top 50 (or even top 100) lists. The guy in his trailer says this is shocking, and this has never happened before.

2004: All year long there have been shifts as Malkin has gained ground and is now falsely labelled a Lecavalier clone. Ovechkin and Malkin predictably go 1-2 (although some fantasy had Malkin going first for ***** and giggle). Olesz, who was hailed as the next Jagr a year earlier, goes 8th. The Rangers shock people in a way similar to the Habs this year by selecting Montoya 6th overall. Tukonen falls. Dubnyk goes before Shwarz, causing the people who had a ranking of Shwarz/Montoya/Dubnyk to have epileptic fits.

Blake Wheeler is drafted 5th by Wayne Gretzky and his merry bunch. The guy in his trailer is shocked. And says this is the most surprising thing ever and this stuff never happens.

KL*

steblick said:

By the way, it is true that some NHL teams/couts will (usually quietly) scoff at other teams' pick as being in the WTF!!?? category.

This guy is legit. Scouts will almost never talk about who they work for and what they did unless there's a reason to. And proving themself on a messageboard is not a reason (not that either of you was hassling the other).

And the scoffing isn't always quiet. Back in '01 in Florida, I was on the floor the second day when the Wings were about to pick in the 4th round. The Avs, at the table next to them (they had just won the Cup and picked last in every round, while the Wings were at the table next to them picking next-to-last), were listening and Jim Hammett leaned back and listened to what Detroit was about to do.

He then said, in a very hushed tone, "Miro-slav Blay-tak" and they all busted out laughing.

With good reason.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Great post steblick. I don't know how many times I have read "trust me, if he is available when we pick we will take him"

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
I've always been curious: what exactly does a professional amateur scout do? Is it really a 40 hour week of traveling around your region watching hockey games? If so, that's a great job! But really, can anyone shed any details about what they do, as far as "work" goes? I assume procedures vary from club to club, but is there usually something like a weekly scouting report that is involved? If so, how detailed are these reports? Are they like the ones we read in magazines and on the internet, or are they far more detailed? Blah blah blah...you get what I'm asking.

ginnungagap

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
MikeJones said:
He then said, in a very hushed tone, "Miro-slav Blay-tak" and they all busted out laughing.

With good reason.

I'm not so sure about that. Where was Blatak taken- 4th round? He's been a key defenseman on a good team in the Czech Elite League the past couple seasons(Zlin won the championship in '04 with him in the top three) and this past year was paired with Hamrlik and had similar numbers. He has a good chance of being brought over to NA soon and a decent shot at the NHL.

Maybe Colorado's table laughing at the pick speaks more to why their prospect pool has dwindled to the point of being downright pitiful and Detroit's scouting and drafting has improved exponentially in the past seven or eight years.

Golbez

MikeJones said:
This guy is legit. Scouts will almost never talk about who they work for and what they did unless there's a reason to. And proving themself on a messageboard is not a reason (not that either of you was hassling the other).

And the scoffing isn't always quiet. Back in '01 in Florida, I was on the floor the second day when the Wings were about to pick in the 4th round. The Avs, at the table next to them (they had just won the Cup and picked last in every round, while the Wings were at the table next to them picking next-to-last), were listening and Jim Hammett leaned back and listened to what Detroit was about to do.

With good reason.

Other than the butchering of the pronounciation, what is so funny about drafting Blat'ák? He's been a pretty solid dman for Hamé Zlín and was a big part of their championship season.

KL*

Baron Von Shark said:
I've always been curious: what exactly does a professional amateur scout do? Is it really a 40 hour week of traveling around your region watching hockey games? If so, that's a great job! But really, can anyone shed any details about what they do, as far as "work" goes? I assume procedures vary from club to club, but is there usually something like a weekly scouting report that is involved? If so, how detailed are these reports? Are they like the ones we read in magazines and on the internet, or are they far more detailed? Blah blah blah...you get what I'm asking.

Well, I am sure the original poster can shed his own light on the subject, but I can tell you from my own experience...

No, it's not a "great job." At the start of the season, the smell of the rink makes you giddy. But imagine it's January and you have done nothing but visit rinks every day of every weekend for the last several months. If you don't work directly for one team, you're probably scouting for a couple different employers, so you're seeing hockey on a couple different levels and a lot more often.

Basically, imagine that it's Sunday night and you are watching Owen Sound at Kitchener, and you are on your second (or third) game of the day, and you have been doing nothing but driving and sitting in rinks since Thursday (if you ever went home after the previous weekend to begin with). These aren't teams that you are a fan of, and you aren't there to eat hot dogs and cheer. It's just hockey, you are there to watch a couple guys.

It's not fun. You have to love the sport in a different way than a fan does, and I think that is the reason so many players go on to scout. It's a way to stay in the game and still be around the game without actually playing.

I'll tell ya, when you start hitting the dog days of the winter, driving all weekend through all that snow, living out of a suitcase and padding your spare tire with nachos and hot dogs (what, you think they have anything other than junk food at junior arenas?) is no way to live life.

And one of the absolute worst things about it is the music. They play the same music in every arena, and...well...if I hear "Bye Bye Bye" one more time, I think I am going to kill someone.

Scouting reports vary depending on who you are scouting for. Teams are different than publications. But no, it's not like what you have read in magazines. It's mostly shorthand. At least it was in my experience, I don't know about the OP. I don't know if you'd say that it's more detailed. It's not fluff like you read in THN. I used a grading scale and I basically graded players' skills based on that scale. Sometimes, the client would want you to focus on a certain skill, either to evaluate a player or identify a player that possessed a certain trait.

I only did it for a short time, I did not do it for a team, and it wasn't what I would call fun. Again, I am sure the OP would be able to tell you a lot better than I can.

KL*

ginnungagap said:
I'm not so sure about that. Where was Blatak taken- 4th round? He's been a key defenseman on a good team in the Czech Elite League the past couple seasons(Zlin won the championship in '04 with him in the top three) and this past year was paired with Hamrlik and had similar numbers. He has a good chance of being brought over to NA soon and a decent shot at the NHL.

Maybe Colorado's table laughing at the pick speaks more to why their prospect pool has dwindled to the point of being downright pitiful and Detroit's scouting and drafting has improved exponentially in the past seven or eight years.

It has? And it has?

Richardson, Wolski, Svatos, McCormick, Budaj, Collins and Hemingway, and that is before Saturday's draft. Not at all pitiful. Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean that they aren't good. You didn't know who Hejduk or Drury were in 1997. You know who they are now. The Avs have graduated more players to the NHL over the past decade than any other team in the NHL.

And Detroit has only picked *four* players since 1993 that have become anything more than 4th liners/3rd pairing DMen or backup goaltenders (18 for the Avs). Holmstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Fischer. Yeah, their drafting improved, but it's not hard to improve when you graduated one player in five years that became anything more than a plugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad