Let the Post Mortem begin before the body is cold.....

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
One season in the nhl under Hitchcock giving him fa for icetime is not enough to declare Dickinson a bust .Guryanov , 2 seasons in the ahl playing Bottom six minutes . Ya that’s not enough to declare him a bust either . There still young people .If those guys aren’t able to be impact players at 24-25 years old , than you can call them busts .

Do you know how many professional goals Guryanov has scored since he turned 18? 35. In 180 games. That is really bad for a "goal scorer". I'm not even sure why he was drafted so high if you look at his body of work coming into the draft. His "good" season in the MHL lead to him being the only player on his team (out of 38!!!) to be drafted....I'm not sure what to think of that except it's very strange. I guess it was because he did well in the U18s? I can't figure it out otherwise.

All I know is Joe McDonnell should be fired for it (especially for exclaiming him a top five talent in the draft after they picked him) and send Takko and whoever else scouts in Europe with him. But it's an old boys club which makes it impossible to be fired no matter how bad you are at your job.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
One season in the nhl under Hitchcock giving him fa for icetime is not enough to declare Dickinson a bust .Guryanov , 2 seasons in the ahl playing Bottom six minutes . Ya that’s not enough to declare him a bust either . There still young people .If those guys aren’t able to be impact players at 24-25 years old , than you can call them busts .
But you'd expect to see some growth. Some improvement. Gurianov has all of three points in his last 14 games. As a pro, Gurianov has had two two disappointing season with the Texas Stars. I don't want to hear about giving a guy time if he's doing nothing with the time.

The end goal here is to have a good NHL player. To get to that goal, he first needs to show he can be a good AHL player. The truth of the matter is guys who are NHL goal scorers don't need until they are 25 to show that ability. For good NHL players, 24-25 is when they are often hitting their career best offensive production.

Goal scoring doesn't just magically appear. Guys don't spend multiple years struggling to score in the AHL and then suddenly become good NHL goal scorers. Either they have it or they don't. It's starting to look like Gurianov doesn't have it.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
But you'd expect to see some growth. Some improvement. Gurianov has all of three points in his last 14 games. As a pro, Gurianov has had two two disappointing season with the Texas Stars. I don't want to hear about giving a guy time if he's doing nothing with the time.

The end goal here is to have a good NHL player. To get to that goal, he first needs to show he can be a good AHL player. The truth of the matter is guys who are NHL goal scorers don't need until they are 25 to show that ability. For good NHL players, 24-25 is when they are often hitting their career best offensive production.

Goal scoring doesn't just magically appear. Guys don't spend multiple years struggling to score in the AHL and then suddenly become good NHL goal scorers. Either they have it or they don't. It's starting to look like Gurianov doesn't have it.
Literally every time he’s bren giving top line minutes with Texas he scores at a point per game . He’s not good enough to put up a ton of points with shitty 3 rd Line ahl players but he would do well playing with some higher skilled guys .when I say 24 -25 I didn’t mean that’s when they should start to put up numbers . Would like to see Dickinson and guryanov play top line Texas next season. Problem is ahl teamslike To have older guys in there top six so there less likely to get called up and diminish there roster . That’s why You see a lot of players given an opportunity in nhl before even playing a lot in the ahl. If you don’t have it download the ahl live app and watch Texas highlights . Guryanov has wild hands and shot . While he may not have scored a ton he scores some pretty filthy goals . To me , him and hintz standout the most on Texas roster .

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Take a look at the 2015 draft. I mean Nill picking Guryanov over Barzal and Connor has been talked about to death. But look at the Jets overall 2015. They drafted Connor (29 goals), Roslovic (only reason he isn't a full time player is Winnipeg's insane forward depth) and Niku who is tearing up the AHL as a rookie. Heck they even drafted Erik Foley who they traded for Stastny to load up for the playoffs, and the Blues think enough of him they just signed him for three years. Nill drafted.... *crickets*

I've said it before: Nill falling asleep at the draft table in 2015 probably cost the Stars for the next 10 years.
WPG killed that draft. They even got Spacek in the 4th who has the same statline as Hintz (albeit on a better, higher scoring team)

Nice night for the Jets 2015 draft selections tonight.

Roslovic draws into the line up - 1 goal 1 assist
Niku - First goal in first regular season NHL game
Connor - 1 goal (his 30th of the season) 2 assists

Oh and Barzal got his 80th, 81st and 82nd points.

Stars selections from 2015 tonight:

Can someone please call out Nill on this?

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Literally every time he’s bren giving top line minutes with Texas he scores at a point per game . He’s not good enough to put up a ton of points with ****ty 3 rd Line ahl players but he would do well playing with some higher skilled guys .when I say 24 -25 I didn’t mean that’s when they should start to put up numbers . Would like to see Dickinson and guryanov play top line Texas next season. Problem is ahl teamslike To have older guys in there top six so there less likely to get called up and diminish there roster . That’s why You see a lot of players given an opportunity in nhl before even playing a lot in the ahl. If you don’t have it download the ahl live app and watch Texas highlights . Guryanov has wild hands and shot . While he may not have scored a ton he scores some pretty filthy goals . To me , him and hintz standout the most on Texas roster .

Denis Gurianov's last 4 games after a 2 game goal streak:

b0c26df256.png

2 Shots in 4 games, 0 points. This as Texas is neck deep in a playoff race.

Come on man, this guy isn't going to be an impact NHL player. It's his Draft+3 year and he's .5ppg in the AHL. Doesn't shoot a lot, has like 1.5 shots per game average. Goal scorers shoot a lot, he doesn't.

I think he'll be an NHLer but a bottom 6er at best. Just like all our other 1st round forwards.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Denis Gurianov's last 4 games after a 2 game goal streak:

b0c26df256.png

2 Shots in 4 games, 0 points. This as Texas is neck deep in a playoff race.

Come on man, this guy isn't going to be an impact NHL player. It's his Draft+3 year and he's .5ppg in the AHL. Doesn't shoot a lot, has like 1.5 shots per game average. Goal scorers shoot a lot, he doesn't.

I think he'll be an NHLer but a bottom 6er at best. Just like all our other 1st round forwards.

I give him 1 more season to prove he isn't a bust. As he hasn't shown any progression. Consistency has been his biggest problem, dominating in 2 games invisible for the next 5 etc. If he grow into a top 6, i doubt he can become a bottom 6 forward, maybe fourth line with limited minutes but i doubt it. Gurianov was a high risk high reward pick but i think it didn't pay off. The kid shouldn't have been picked where the stars picked him.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I give him 1 more season to prove he isn't a bust. As he hasn't shown any progression. Consistency has been his biggest problem, dominating in 2 games invisible for the next 5 etc. If he grow into a top 6, i doubt he can become a bottom 6 forward, maybe fourth line with limited minutes but i doubt it. Gurianov was a high risk high reward pick but i think it didn't pay off. The kid shouldn't have been picked where the stars picked him.
Your right they definately should have tried to either get him in the second round or traded down to a later pick to grab him . I think a lot of the inconsistency has to do with his ice time though . when Mackenzie , Dickinson are called up or injured he plays top six and produces but when they come back he’s back to playing with a really weak bottom six where he has to create everything himself. I give him 1 more year in the ahl and if he’s not ready to play full time with Dallas in 2020 than Il say he’s probably a bust . The thing is if he does pan out , he has the tools to be a 20 -30 goals scorer easily . He’s probably got the best shot on Texas roster and is one of the fastest skaters. Guys like Travis morin and Mackenzie have way more points but get all there points down there throwing pucks on net and jamming rebounds in . Dg and hintz are the only guys who actually show raw talent on there team rather than the hockey sense that’s developed over time with the older guys . I’m done defending dg though we just have to suck it up and be patient , we got gury instead of Barzal , it’s done with and in the past .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Wonder if McKenna's play last night ignites a backup goalie controversy for next year. Both 34, just the right age to sign for 1-2 years to let Otter/Point mature, but only IF we don't think we need a 1A due to Bishops injury history.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Wonder if McKenna's play last night ignites a backup goalie controversy for next year. Both 34, just the right age to sign for 1-2 years to let Otter/Point mature, but only IF we don't think we need a 1A due to Bishops injury history.
We should sign that emergency goalie who preserved the shutout for Chicago too lol

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, if neither plays again this year, our duo would have a combined 1.000 save%.

We have had so many negative superlatives - last years PK, this year being first to miss playoffs when having 80 points after 60 games, etc., we could offset it with one, meaningless positive one.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
It's tiring seeing this team constantly pass up talent for no reason other than incompetence. Fowler/Tarasenko, Ellis, Barzal, DeBrincat were all without a doubt highly more talented than the people we choose to select before them. Yes many of them had concerns (size, injuries, KHL), but take the talent when it's there.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
It's tiring seeing this team constantly pass up talent for no reason other than incompetence. Fowler/Tarasenko, Ellis, Barzal, DeBrincat were all without a doubt highly more talented than the people we choose to select before them. Yes many of them had concerns (size, injuries, KHL), but take the talent when it's there.

This is why I’m not a huge fan of second guessing drafts. If the injuries plagued them you’d say, “you know he had injury issues, why draft him.” If he gets pushed around, “why draft a guy so small..all the talent in the world is useless when you just get knocked off the puck.” Etc etc

Hindsight makes it so so easy

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
This is why I’m not a huge fan of second guessing drafts. If the injuries plagued them you’d say, “you know he had injury issues, why draft him.” If he gets pushed around, “why draft a guy so small..all the talent in the world is useless when you just get knocked off the puck.” Etc etc

Hindsight makes it so so easy

Hinesight does make it easy, but at the time of the draft all of these guys were more highly regarded than the players we drafted, they were fallers. I'd rather take a risk on high end talent than a safer player. Bottom six players are easy to find

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Hinesight does make it easy, but at the time of the draft all of these guys were more highly regarded than the players we drafted, they were fallers. I'd rather take a risk on high end talent than a safer player. Bottom six players are easy to find

Exactly. They were fallers for a reason. Wasn’t just the Stars who passed. It’s just not black and white they it’s talked about on these boards.
And risk taking is fun until you go 1 for 20 over the course of a few drafts. With no high end talent or bottom six elc players to speak of.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Exactly. They were fallers for a reason. Wasn’t just the Stars who passed. It’s just not black and white they it’s talked about on these boards.
And risk taking is fun until you go 1 for 20 over the course of a few drafts. With no high end talent or bottom six elc players to speak of.

Whatever reason they were fallers were invalid as they are having tons of success and the players we drafted are barely cutting it/didn't cut it in the NHL. Either way it doesn't matter as we can't go back in time. Just hope Nill has learned.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Funny thing is, I thought Nill would have been more of a pure talent drafter. Started okay with Nuke and Honka were good starts. Since then, not as much. Don't think DG or Tufte were ever anything but projects. Last year seemed better, but time will tell.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Whatever reason they were fallers were invalid as they are having tons of success and the players we drafted are barely cutting it/didn't cut it in the NHL. Either way it doesn't matter as we can't go back in time. Just hope Nill has learned.

Of course you learn. All I’m saying is you can’t say the entire front office is clueless. They, and a lot of other intelligent, hockey smart folks with huge investment in success chose differently.

Seriously, who here even raised an eyebrow when we acquired Janmark?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Of course you learn. All I’m saying is you can’t say the entire front office is clueless. They, and a lot of other intelligent, hockey smart folks with huge investment in success chose differently.

Seriously, who here even raised an eyebrow when we acquired Janmark?

True I thought Janmark was a throw in he was a great pick up by Nill. I think Nill is a very good GM and talent evaluator. I do however think he's to trusting of his scouting staff who try to find these hidden gems when there is a diamond right in front of their eyes. I really like last years draft however so the future is bright.

Reactions: eartotheground

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
At the time, since he was trading with his old team, I figured Nill knew his prospects and why he wanted them pretty well. Picking up a guy who you have watched a few years since the draft is sort of like having hindsight. Overall, much easier to evaluate than an 18 year old kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad