Leon White (Big Van Vader) passes away

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
We all knew it was probably coming soon but this is still a real bummer, one of my all time favorites, such a great monster heel. He did things men his size weren't supposed to do.

As for the HOF, he definitely deserves to be there but I think he was a part of a concussion lawsuit against WWE which is probably what kept him out.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I absolutely loved his run as WCW champ in '93. Had great matches with Sting, Davey Boy and Cactus, building an aura as an unstoppable monster heel. His moonsault amazed me the first time I saw it.

I thought he was misused in WWF. They should have given him the title win Sid got, then put him against the Undertaker.

Hope he gets a nice tribute on Raw next Monday.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm a fan of Bam Bam Bigelow, but his typical "moonsault" was generally more of a twisting splash than a moonsault.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Not nearly enough talk about how the dude had his eye popped out, barely missed a beat, and finished his work.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
CBS News

WCW, NJPWJ, and WWF legend Vader — also known to audiences as Big Van Vader — has died. The pro wrestler, whose real name was Leon White, was 63. He passed Monday, June 20, his son announced.

Congestive heart failure, for which he had undergone surgery for in March.

RIP Leon White.

or as The Iron Shiek posts:
"GOD BLESS VADER FOREVER"

EDIT: See it's already posted, please merge.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017
My first exposure to Vader was when he came to the WWF. I'll never forget when he went crazy and beat up Monsoon. I thought he was an absolute psychopath at that point. Too bad they couldn't really figure out what to do with him beyond his initial monster heel push.

RIP, Big Man
This is what Ive always remembered. Vader going too far or something. Gorilla comes out to stop him. He roughs up gorilla. Gorilla coming back hard with the knife edge chops. Then Vader blowing him up. Damn. This one hurts.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Incredibly underrated by most. Great on Boy Meets World, too, I loved seeing him on that show.

Not nearly enough talk about how the dude had his eye popped out, barely missed a beat, and finished his work.

I still get the heebie jeebies thinking about that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Watching a pre-WWF Vader was truly something.

In an era of lumbering big men, Vader was in elite company for his ability to move, while still looking like a guy who could crack someone’s skull.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00