Value of: Leon Draisaitl

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Dear God this thread proves Draisaitl is the most overrated player in the NHL. He is a 70 point winger if he is with McDavid or a 50-55 point centre if he is centring his own line. That contract is ugly, he is making about 2M a season more than he should. The Oilers are not trading him but he is not a #1 C, not even close.

Draisaitl played around half of his even strength time without McDavid and produced like a 1C, while having to carry guys like Lucic and Caggiula to decent results.

Your argument is dumb and you could apply it to anyone that has a lesser player playing with a better player. Observe.

‘Sean Monahan is nothing without Gaudreau. He’s a 65 point C with Gaudreau but only a 45 point C without him. The flames aren’t trading him but he is not a 1C, not even close.’

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
The value depends on if the team sees him as a center or a winger that plays well with a top center. Also on how good they view their top 6 as being.
To a team like Montreal that has a dearth of centers he'd be the #1 so worth a fortune in return. But so would centers that fill the #2 role on any good team.
Since the good teams are mostly contenders they already have a 1C so Draisaitl could well be the winger once again depending on who is their #2 while the depth on wing determines if they need him @ all. If I use the Leafs as an example it's unlikely he replaces either of Tavares or Matthews.

BTW, taking faceoffs instead of McDavid doesn't make him a center great center. It just means McDavid is bad @ faceoffs.
Some teams send out 2 centers for faceoffs in case 1 is waved out or to have the option of a lefty or righty depending on who the opposition sent out.

But, to a team where he fills a need I can't see a return of less than a 1st (top 3 protected option or it's unprotected the next year), roster player better than any Oiler player not named McDavid (meaning all of them) & an A prospect.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Someone on the Bruins page mentioned Pastrnak for Draisaitl as a comparable trade.

Can’t see Edmonton doing it because they don’t have another centre that I know of to play line 2.

If they did though would they pull the trigger on that? Just wondering really

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The value depends on if the team sees him as a center or a winger that plays well with a top center. Also on how good they view their top 6 as being.
To a team like Montreal that has a dearth of centers he'd be the #1 so worth a fortune in return. But so would centers that fill the #2 role on any good team.
Since the good teams are mostly contenders they already have a 1C so Draisaitl could well be the winger once again depending on who is their #2 while the depth on wing determines if they need him @ all. If I use the Leafs as an example it's unlikely he replaces either of Tavares or Matthews.

BTW, taking faceoffs instead of McDavid doesn't make him a center great center. It just means McDavid is bad @ faceoffs.
Some teams send out 2 centers for faceoffs in case 1 is waved out or to have the option of a lefty or righty depending on who the opposition sent out.

But, to a team where he fills a need I can't see a return of less than a 1st (top 3 protected option or it's unprotected the next year), roster player better than any Oiler player not named McDavid (meaning all of them) & an A prospect.

The thing you’re missing is Edmonton does not need prospects and picks. Our owner is livid that we didn’t make the playoffs last year. You don’t seem to understand that fans of other teams want to win hockey games too. We were sold ‘the future’ for a decade in Edmonton. f*** futures. Winning games now is what matters which means if your offer does not include a young #1 RHD, your offers will fall on absolutely deaf ears.

Let’s look at a team that desperately needs a 1C - let’s call them the New York Rangers. You mean to say that an offer in the realm of Zibanejad+Protected 1st+Chytil should in any way be taken seriously by Edmonton? It’s a good offer but what needs does it meet? All it does is make us worse today.

Why? Why would we look at this? So we can maybe not suck one day? The only proven asset coming back is Zibanejad and he’s not that enticing.

Your ‘pretty good player and a pick and a prospect’ offer would be outright laughed at. Teams have untouchables - Draisaitl is one of them. Try to cut him down all you like, he’s got back to back 70 point seasons and he’s only 22. Teams would pay a fortune to get him. That’s the reality of the situation.

1) he’s not being moved.
2) if he somehow became available, half the league would be lining up to get him.

Last edited:

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
No way I trade Drai for Pulock. He is not nearly good enough defensively, his skating is sorta sus as well. I dont think Pulock will ever be a 25 or more minute a night #1.

Pulock will absolutely be a number he was solid defensively in zero pressure system and now is going to be getting coached by trotz who got Carlson from average middle pair to Norris candidate, and was Weber’s coach for a really long time to
Lol. Matthews and Eichel>>Draisaitl. It is not remotely close man.
3 of the most over rated players I think they are all on the same level of a 1b center that could be a 2nd line on a contender or first line on a border line playoff team

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
The thing you’re missing is Edmonton does not need prospects and picks. Our owner is livid that we didn’t make the playoffs last year. You don’t seem to understand that fans of other teams want to win hockey games too. We were sold ‘the future’ for a decade in Edmonton. **** futures. Winning games now is what matters which means if your offer does not include a young #1 RHD, your offers will fall on absolutely deaf ears.

Let’s look at a team that desperately needs a 1C - let’s call them the New York Rangers. You mean to say that an offer in the realm of Zibanejad+Protected 1st+Chytil should in any way be taken seriously by Edmonton? Why? So we can maybe not suck one day? The only proven asset coming back is Zibanejad and he’s not that enticing.

Your ‘pretty good player and a pick and a prospect’ offer would be outright laughed at. Teams have untouchables - Draisaitl is one of them.
You ignore the elephant in the room. Edmonton can not take back current good players due to the fact those have a fairly large cap hit while the Oilers will be hard pressed to even re-sign Nurse.
Katz may be livid but he green lighted the contracts that will keep the Oilers out of the playoffs for a lot of years. Those prospects & picks that come in on ECLs are the best option to improve since the bargain bin in UFA won't.

I know you fans were sold a bill of goods for what seems an eternity & that most of succeeding #1OAs you were told were the answer are now gone but finally landing your best player since Gretzky can't change that by himself.
Look @ the roster. Does that look like a contender if you are honest with yourself? McDavid, Draisaitl & RNH are good & the top 3 assets. The rest of the forwards are blah while Lucic is a $6 million millstone. The D is made up of servicable 3/4s & Talbot runs hot & cold while being overused. Other than the 3 I mention there isn't much to inspire hope as they can't drag the rest into the playoffs alone.

Reactions: Snowman

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Why would you think that? Matthews was over PPG in his D+2, Drai wasn't even close in his D+4.

This must be what Oilers fans felt like with McDavid/Matthews comparisons.
I too agree Matthews > Draisaitl, but lets not act like that comparison is anywhere close to McDavid vs. Matthews. Matthews has less points than McDavid has assists over the past two seasons. I know he missed 20 games, but that just shows how asinine the comparison was.

Reactions: ivanlwan

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
He’s a solid top line winger. Or a decent 2nd line Center. Good play off performer unfortunately he won’t have the opportunity to show that much as he plays for a horrible team.

Reactions: Snowman

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Dear God this thread proves Draisaitl is the most overrated player in the NHL. He is a 70 point winger if he is with McDavid or a 50-55 point centre if he is centring his own line. That contract is ugly, he is making about 2M a season more than he should. The Oilers are not trading him but he is not a #1 C, not even close.

Back here on Earth, this isn’t remotely true.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I too agree Matthews > Draisaitl, but lets not act like that comparison is anywhere close to McDavid vs. Matthews. Matthews has less points than McDavid has assists over the past two seasons. I know he missed 20 games, but that just shows how asinine the comparison was.
One player also receives far less ice-time than the other. Matthews was on pace for 45 goals and 83 points in his second season while being 41st among C's in ice-time. McDavid played 643.57 more minutes than Matthews last year (he played the 3rd most minutes among forwards last year). I know you Oilers fans love using p/60 with Draisaitl so let's use it with Matthews. McDavid was 6th in the league last year in P/60 with 3.67, Matthews was 11th with 3.36. Draisaitl for comparison was 42nd with 2.79 (lower than Marner too and Marner almost never plays with Matthews). Matthews is far closer to McDavid than Draisaitl is to him.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
One player also receives far less ice-time than the other. Matthews was on pace for 45 goals and 83 points in his second season while being 41st among C's in ice-time. McDavid played 643.57 more minutes than Matthews last year (he played the 3rd most minutes among forwards last year). I know you Oilers fans love using p/60 with Draisaitl so let's use it with Matthews. McDavid was 6th in the league last year in P/60 with 3.67, Matthews was 11th with 3.36. Draisaitl for comparison was 42nd with 2.79 (lower than Marner too and Marner almost never plays with Matthews). Matthews is far closer to McDavid than Draisaitl is to him.
so on pace for 25 points less than McDavid, and only 13 more than Draisaitl.

I believe 83 is closer to 70 than it is to 108.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
so on pace for 25 points less than McDavid, and only 13 more than Draisaitl.

I believe 83 is closer to 70 than it is to 108.
How convenient that you completely ignored the ice time difference. In 383 more minutes of ice time, LD scored 7 more points than Matthews while getting to play with McDavid.

Save yourself the idiocy and don't compare Matthews to LD, they're a different tier of player.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You ignore the elephant in the room. Edmonton can not take back current good players due to the fact those have a fairly large cap hit while the Oilers will be hard pressed to even re-sign Nurse.
Katz may be livid but he green lighted the contracts that will keep the Oilers out of the playoffs for a lot of years. Those prospects & picks that come in on ECLs are the best option to improve since the bargain bin in UFA won't.

I know you fans were sold a bill of goods for what seems an eternity & that most of succeeding #1OAs you were told were the answer are now gone but finally landing your best player since Gretzky can't change that by himself.
Look @ the roster. Does that look like a contender if you are honest with yourself? McDavid, Draisaitl & RNH are good & the top 3 assets. The rest of the forwards are blah while Lucic is a $6 million millstone. The D is made up of servicable 3/4s & Talbot runs hot & cold while being overused. Other than the 3 I mention there isn't much to inspire hope as they can't drag the rest into the playoffs alone.

This is a mother lode of wrong.

1) If Edmonton is losing Draisaitl that frees up 8.5 mil in cap. How can we ‘not take back good players’ when you factor that in.

2) We can ask Sekera and Russell for their lists after this season. Easy way to clean up 9.5 mil more in cap.

3) we currently have 5 mil to sign Nurse. His comparables are guys like Montour and Edmundson. He’ll get a two year deal in the 3’s and expire as an RFA. The space is there.

4) it’s not a contender yet but the best pieces are all very young. McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH/Nurse/Klefbom/Larsson are all under 25 and we actually have a decent prospect base in the first time in forever. Some halfassed panic deal of Draisaitl for lesser bits, picks and prospects doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

I seriously don’t understand your logic. ‘Your roster has a lot of overpaid junk so the only solution is to sell off one of your best players for scrap?’

Look at your Flyers, do you see a contender there? I don’t. Very average defence and no goaltending. Obviously the only solution is to sell off Claude Giroux to the highest bidder. Only futures though.

Reactions: Seachd

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
P/60 is a fine stat if usage is similar. To assume that Matthews would maintain his P/60 with McDavid's minutes is foolish. Also how else do you speak to Draisaitl's production without McDavid? Everyone is obsessive over his production away from McDavid, so show me a better available stat to judge it. That's the only time I'll ever use P/60 as the main point of an argument because its the only readily available stat we can use in that discussion.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I never compared him to brassard genius. He could be a first line center on the habs or Sens if that makes you sleep better at night.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Draisaitl played around half of his even strength time without McDavid and produced like a 1C, while having to carry guys like Lucic and Caggiula to decent results.

Your argument is dumb and you could apply it to anyone that has a lesser player playing with a better player. Observe.

‘Sean Monahan is nothing without Gaudreau. He’s a 65 point C with Gaudreau but only a 45 point C without him. The flames aren’t trading him but he is not a 1C, not even close.’
Nice try, keep making things up to fit your agenda

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I never compared him to brassard genius. He could be a first line center on the habs or Sens if that makes you sleep better at night.
Brassard = "decent 2nd line center" = Draisaitl

By saying Draisaitl is a "decent 2nd line center", you have placed him in a tier with the likes of Brassard and Little etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad