Proposal: Leon Draisaitl For Ryan Ellis

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah maybe the top centers of the league...Draisaitl isn't a top center. Hall is arguably a top 5 LW in the game.

Surely you're not saying Draisaitl is going to be a top 5 center in the game? We're talking McDavid, Eichel and Mathews at the very minimum when Drai is in his prime.

Considering that there's only 1 Centre and 2 Wingers on a line I think its a little strange to just called Hall a top 5 LW, when there are multiple RWers that are better than him. So no I don't think Draisaitl will be a top 5 C, but I do think he could be a top 10-15 C which imo is more valuable than a top 10-12 winger.

I think most teams would take the 10th or even 15th best centre in the league over the 5th best LWer.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Ellis is great but this is practically like re-doing the Hall trade. Besides the fact that Ellis is actually a really good Defenseman...

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Considering that there's only 1 Centre and 2 Wingers on a line I think its a little strange to just called Hall a top 5 LW, when there are multiple RWers that are better than him. So no I don't think Draisaitl will be a top 5 C, but I do think he could be a top 10-15 C which imo is more valuable than a top 10-12 winger.

I think most teams would take the 10th or even 15th best centre in the league over the 5th best LWer.

What's your point? Do you plan on sticking a RW in the LW slot?

LW is an individual position just like RW and C are...Hall is a top 5 LW in the game, no denying it.

Also, there a lot better RWs than LWs in the league, that's not even debatable imo

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

LW is an individual position just like RW and C are...Hall is a top 5 LW in the game, no denying it.

Also, there a lot better RWs than LWs in the league, that's not even debatable imo
My point is there aren't anywhere near as many centres who can excel at the 1C spot but there are numerous wingers who can. Considering most teams don't run their top line always with their 2 best wingers and can usually get away with a 1C top line winger and another average winger then it makes more sense to compare wingers as a whole against centres as a whole. Unless of course you want to say that a top 15 RD who could be #2D is worth a top 15 centre

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Well Hall got traded for a #3 so you never know lol. Chia tends to lose trades, like a lot.

People in glass houses...
How is that Subban trade treating you?

Leon Draisaitl for Ellis is laughable, but that has already been said by many before me in the thread. There are a few tiers between the two in terms of their value as players.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
My point is there aren't anywhere near as many centres who can excel at the 1C spot but there are numerous wingers who can. Considering most teams don't run their top line always with their 2 best wingers and can usually get away with a 1C top line winger and another average winger then it makes more sense to compare wingers as a whole against centres as a whole. Unless of course you want to say that a top 15 RD who could be #2D is worth a top 15 centre

So what you're saying is #1C are more rare than top wingers since there are many of them, but Hall is near the top 10-15 wingers in the league despite there being a lot of completion amongst wingers (2 per line).

I'd honestly argue there's barely 30 top line wingers in the league, and when you look at which ones are capable of being PPG, the list becomes much smaller but includes Hall.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So what you're saying is #1C are more rare than top wingers since there are many of them, but Hall is near the top 10-15 wingers in the league despite there being a lot of completion amongst wingers (2 per line).

I'd honestly argue there's barely 30 top line wingers in the league, and when you look at which ones are capable of being PPG, the list becomes much smaller but includes Hall.

Sure but the impact a winger like hall makes over what a #1 C makes is quite different. Hall also hasn't had a ppg season in 2 years when scoring was higher. He might return to it but it's also quite possible he doesn't

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
[MOD] Already established:
Nashville won't trade Ellis unless ridiculous overpayment because they have no one to fill his spot.

Oilers aren't going to accept a trade of Draisaitl without fair value in return.
Preds won't add to deal because they aren't trading Ellis to begin with

Draisaitl>> Ellis in value which is agreed on by all parties

= No trade

Did I get that right?
[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I would think Nashville would need to add a significant prospect or draft pick for this to work. I would also think they would need a number 4/5 defenseman coming back in an alternate deal or included in this one. In short, it would be tough to make this work completely because any deal that requires Ellis + as compensation creates a hole for Nashville, and the hole created is a tough one to fill.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
There would have to be add ons

Take out Draisaitl , add in Fayne , Ference and a 3rd.

To Edmonton
Ellis

To Nashville
Fayne
Ference
Edmonton 3rd in 2019

Welcome to EDM thread, where valuations are spot on.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There would have to be add ons

Take out Draisaitl , add in Fayne , Ference and a 3rd.

To Edmonton
Ellis

To Nashville
Fayne
Ference
Edmonton 3rd in 2019

Value is close. Maybe take out the 2019 3rd and add in the Korpikowski buyout penalty. Nashville trades an offensive minded Dman for a bigger, defensive minded one, plus another player that is a great community ambassador. The Korpikowski buyout penalty is just added to balance out the trade so it's not so heavily lopsided in Nashvilles favor.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No. That wouldn't make any sense. Does Nashville still have the depth to trade Ellis for another forward?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
No. That wouldn't make any sense. Does Nashville still have the depth to trade Ellis for another forward?

They have more depth on D than NJ before they traded Larsson.

Ellis is #4Dman on NSH and might be left unprotected at the end of this season.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
They have more depth on D than NJ before they traded Larsson.

Ellis is #4Dman on NSH and might be left unprotected at the end of this season.

NJ also had a big scoring need, we really don't and there is not a chance Ellis is left unprotected based on our current roster. Like, it's not even a slight pause for consideration.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary

Even if draisaitl was at best a good 2nd line center, he would still have more value than hall. Centers and defenceman influence the game way more, that's why GM's don't trade them, or let them get to free agency. Look at the ufa's this year, u won't find any top centers or d, yet good wingers are easily had. And Top 5 LW means absolutely nothing. wingers are wingers.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Even if draisaitl was at best a good 2nd line center, he would still have more value than hall. Centers and defenceman influence the game way more, that's why GM's don't trade them, or let them get to free agency. Look at the ufa's this year, u won't find any top centers or d, yet good wingers are easily had. And Top 5 LW means absolutely nothing. wingers are wingers.

Well this is generalising to the absolute extreme. If you look at f.ex. P. Kane, Ovechkin or even Benn, these guys aren't moved without a treasure chest coming back. If your a superstar winger, you DO have value. I guess Hall was somewhere between a franchise winger and a super star. If a GM traded one of the three mentioned for Larsson, he'd be fired off the spot. The Hall trade was one of the kind, but Oilers were in a desperate situation.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

It has been proven time and time again that centers of comparable quality and high potential centers on ELC's have far more value than most wingers.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'd do it and not even think twice about it. Preds could then sign Wiz to a one year deal or trade one of our forwards for a serviceable 4th D man.

For those saying trading Ellis would require a serious over-payment, Drai is a serious over-payment. I guarantee if Poile was offered this deal today, he would take it and not even bat an eyelash.

If you really wanted to make it a more even trade, I would suggest Wilson + Ellis for Drai + Fayne.

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'd do it and not even think twice about it. Preds could then sign Wiz to a one year deal or trade one of our forwards for a serviceable 4th D man.

For those saying trading Ellis would require a serious over-payment, Drai is a serious over-payment. I guarantee if Poile was offered this deal today, he would take it and not even bat an eyelash.

If you really wanted to make it a more even trade, I would suggest Wilson + Ellis for Drai + Fayne.

No one is arguing he isn't. The serious overpayment talk is coming from the otherside saying this is too lopsided which we are coming back saying that's what it will take to move Ellis due to the zero depth issue.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Drai has more value than Hall.

50+ points in his first full NHL season. Excellent size and hockey IQ as well. He also plays centre, not wing. Centre's and Dmen have nearly identical relative value, whereas wing has lower relative value.

That is the exact mindset that has put Edmonton in this conundrum they are in now. You got a one-dimensional D man for a 1st line player in Hall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad