Player Discussion Leon "Dr Drai" Draisaitl: The Next Episode

Status
Not open for further replies.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Or the most ragged on player on this board.

Totally agree with the last part, Connor has a bad period and there's pitchforks out in some GTDs.

This is just a plain false narrative.

@Spawn is the only poster on the entire board that was regularly crapping on RNH the entire time.

In hindsight he was the one that was right.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drai was getting points yes. But anyone, even you, his biggest fan, can admit that he was lacking the jump he had last game. He was falling into bad habits and had a lot of bad turnovers where he failed to execute simple plays.

For the record I'm perfectly happy with his play this year. I expect a bit of inconsistency and the odd off game from him still. I really don't get the need for so many in the media to constantly be on his case. They're probably looking at his contract and comparing it to Schefiele and Seguin and others that were signed years ago. Drai will only get better as well IMO as it takes bigger guys a bit more time to fully develop. He showed in the playoffs that he can dominate at the highest level, he's gonna be worth every penny of that deal.
Yep, agreed. Only that I think Drai struggled for about a week but that being a time when the whole team didn't have it in the first games after Xmas. We'll never know what it is, but something was wrong with the team at that point and more than one player.

Reactions: nabob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
RNH was probably the most hated player here this offseason. Just sad how a few certain posters have used his injury to dump on him, when they were quiet all year. My previous post addresses Drai and the unreasonable amount of heat he's gotten. Drawing the line in the sand is cool, needing to dump on another player is stupid.

ftr, and I don't know who the comments are referring to, and don't have the context of offseason comments about Nuge as I wasn't here, but my comments in this thread were just meant to be substantive in reply to comments that Nuge had been the better player. That's why I responded, just to substantiate.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You were questioning Khaira's contributions by saying that he only scores when he's open yet compliment Maroon for his goal scoring prowess when in reality, a lot of his goals are open opportunities because of work done by McDavid.

I agree with a lot of your other points especially in regards to Maroon's anticipation skills and experience but those same inconsistencies that you apply to Khaira apply to Maroon as well. There have been plenty of games this season (especially when he was paired with Nuge) when he completely disappeared, didn't engage physically, didn't crash the net (by his own self admission) and waning effort level so my point is that this isn't an issue with all of their big wingers, not just Khaira but such is life with big guys who you rarely see a consistent effort night in and night out from power forward types.

This is why I have an issue with extending Maroon. Can we afford to have a left side full of average to below average skating big men for the next 3+ years? On the other hand, it might not be so easy to replace Maroon's production and find somebody who is compatible with McDavid so it's a double edged sword of sorts. I think the Oilers need somebody with more speed and natural goal scoring ability on the left side and re-signing Maroon kind of stifles that opportunity. There's just too much of the same right now.

Maroon did not completely disappear, he was crashing boards, recovering pucks and setting up Nuge for chances when he's been on that line. Even during the stretch in games where people were dumping heavily on Maroon I outlined what he had been doing and that his role was different playing with Nuge, who lacks the board battle. Conversely Maroon is much more free to do other things if he's playing with Draisaitl or McD who board battle effectively.

Do people really think a guy with 50 goals here is so much of a dope he forgot to go to the net? I laughed when he said that because I knew that his role had changed for awhile and he had shifted to a support role from a scoring role. Just that he's not going to state that, he's like Talbot, he's going to say something is on him even if its not. Soon as Maroon was back with McD (and it would be the same with Drai) he's scoring goals. But when he's with Nuge he's the muscle out there. Nothing odd about that.

Finally your point about players missing chances and this being the case with both is meaningless because Maroon is twice as likely to finish chances as Khaira. Maroon is also a better passer and cycles the puck better and supports offense better. As I've mentioned Khaira couldn't even play on the first line. If the team tried that you'd see the deficits.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
ftr, and I don't know who the comments are referring to, and don't have the context of offseason comments about Nuge as I wasn't here, but my comments in this thread were just meant to be substantive in reply to comments that Nuge had been the better player. That's why I responded, just to substantiate.

Almost assuredly referring to me. Although its just typical nonsense from the poster you're quoting . Apparently suggesting that Draisaitl has been the 2nd best player on the team means that I've got pitchforks out for Nuge.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This is just a plain false narrative.

@Spawn is the only poster on the entire board that was regularly crapping on RNH the entire time.

In hindsight he was the one that was right.

In hindsight he (and many others) were wrong. Nuge has been very good this season.

It's okay to cheer for both Nuge and Draisaitl.

Reactions: ujju2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Almost assuredly referring to me. Although its just typical nonsense from the poster you're quoting . Apparently suggesting that Draisaitl has been the 2nd best player on the team means that I've got pitchforks out for Nuge.

Yes I was referring to you amongst others. You've had pitchforks out for Nuge for years.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
In hindsight he (and many others) were wrong. Nuge has been very good this season.

It's okay to cheer for both Nuge and Draisaitl.

40 good games doesn't undo 5 straight seasons of underwhelming results. He didn't really start to take any heat at all on here until this past summer, and if we're being honest he probably deserved some far before then.

But hey, I've been a fan of the guy forever so I hope he keeps it up.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
5/5 PPG leaders in the NHL

1. Marchand .97 PPG
2. McDavid .94 PPG
3. MacKinnon.88PPG
4. Draisaitl .85PPG
5. Matthews .82PPG
6. Kucherov .81PPG
Next time someone *****es about Draisaitl again needs a cuff across the head

I think part of what makes him a better 5v5 player this year is that he has improved his defensive game and how quickly he transitions the puck up ice which often lead to Oiler scoring chances. Lots of times he misses out on an assist but was the one who started the play.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
if we look at last game as the new norm. mcdavid is on pace for 150pts in the last 30 games and Drai is on pace for 90. thats should be enough to put them in the top 5 in scoring in the league

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Draisaitl hasn't gotten nearly the respect he deserves for his play this year at 5v5. He's blowing his last years even strength production out of the water.

It's too bad our PP has been such trash, and McDavid and Drai deserve some of the blame for sure. But if our PP wasn't such trash we could probably add ~10 points to each of their totals this season. Some of the blame definitely lays at the feet of the players, but

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
40 good games doesn't undo 5 straight seasons of underwhelming results. He didn't really start to take any heat at all on here until this past summer, and if we're being honest he probably deserved some far before then.

But hey, I've been a fan of the guy forever so I hope he keeps it up.
56 points is not underwhelming

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Draisaitl hasn't gotten nearly the respect he deserves for his play this year at 5v5. He's blowing his last years even strength production out of the water.

It's too bad our PP has been such trash, and McDavid and Drai deserve some of the blame for sure. But if our PP wasn't such trash we could probably add ~10 points to each of their totals this season. Some of the blame definitely lays at the feet of the players, but

But...it's tough when they're the only two players on the top unit for most of the season who can handle the puck or create anything. Letestu, Lucic and whatever Dman have been on the point are all terrible in that aspect. Strome has been a decent improvement on Letestu at least. They should be grooming Puljujarvi to be the trigger man and Chia badly needs to get a RHS D this offseason.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

I honestly don't even think that it does.

Draisaitl was one of the best PP players in the entire league last season playing primarily in the high slot area.

This year? stationary on the half wall too close to the red line to be a shooting threat.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
There really hasn't been a lot of RNH hate this season, and that of course is for good reason even if he was cold leading up to the injury.

There has been a LOT of Draisaitl hate this season, and that's asinine because he is 3 times the player RNH is so it's not surprising that a fair number of posters would draw a line in the sand on that point.

Draisaitl is three times the player Nuge is? Speaking of pitchforks...

There is literally no player three times as skilled as Nuge in the league. Not even McDavid. He's probably just above twice as skilled. This is just an unreasonable amount of bias.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I honestly don't even think that it does.

Draisaitl was one of the best PP players in the entire league last season playing primarily in the high slot area.

This year? stationary on the half wall too close to the red line to be a shooting threat.

The setups positionally and personnel usage of both our PP and PK are terrible this season. Absolute joke that both assistants still have jobs.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Draisaitl is three times the player Nuge is? Speaking of pitchforks...

There is literally no player three times as skilled as Nuge in the league. Not even McDavid. He's probably just above twice as skilled. This is just an unreasonable amount of bias.

OK?

Do you really think I sat down and thought about exactly what degree better he is lol?

Way to miss the forest for the trees man.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Taylor Hall was underwhelming I guess in 4 out of his 6 seasons here.
Yeah he was honestly underwhelming for a few years. Not like Nuge though. 56 points is a pathetic career high for 1st overall pick. If not for Yakupov Nuge would be the concensus worst first pick of the past 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad