Player Discussion Leon "Dr Drai" Draisaitl: The Next Episode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The number is a bit high (I was hoping for 8) but it's not a gross overpay when taking everything into account.

Sure, but at some point Chiarelli needs to sign a guy or two to a good or great deal, rather than a "Its not that bad" deal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I really didn't read any comments about him that were shameful.
If there were, than those posters should be called out.

Butl ike you said, Drai has been inconsistent this season, and deserved the criticism he was getting.

He's been our 2nd best player all season. Why is he deserving all the criticism. Keep in mind several posters going to the extent of saying he should be traded, he's McD dependent, he's slow, lazy, braindead, out of shape. I've read all of this here on hf.

Reactions: Aerrol and Zaddy

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Loved chemistry they displayed last game, hopefully it's genuine and not just a flash in the pan. I've noticed with McDavid their most dangerous chances usually come from when they're both flying at break neck speeds and passes have been a little harder for JP to capitalize on. The pace and accuracy of Drai's passes just compliment JPs game a bit better from the limited viewing. I'd be ecstatic if they let this pair build on that chemistry and possibly recreate what Drai and Hall had.

Puljujarvi is very fast as is Draisaitl so they seem to do everything at the same time.
McDavid is even faster and may need someone as fast to compliment him. Not sure but I think Kassian is the next fastest skater. Kassian can't score for the life of him this year thouh. Tons of breakaways but never any finish.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Its a pretty bad over pay when you consider Pastrnak was right there with him in scoring and that kid is under $7 million.

Of all of Draisaitl's peers, Tarasenko was the outer limit at $7.5 million.

The Oilers got two more UFA years than the Bruins did.

I don't mind paying ~$1M more now to guarantee having Leon around for those two more years.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Its a pretty bad over pay when you consider Pastrnak was right there with him in scoring and that kid is under $7 million.

Of all of Draisaitl's peers, Tarasenko was the outer limit at $7.5 million.
Did Pastrnak get locked down for 8 years? Can Pastrnak play center? Has Pastrnak had a dominant playoffs?

Reactions: nabob

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
He's been our 2nd best player all season. Why is he deserving all the criticism. Keep in mind several posters going to the extent of saying he should be traded, he's McD dependent, he's slow, lazy, braindead, out of shape. I've read all of this here on hf.
I disagree on him being our 2nd best player, ...Nurse, and RNH I think have been btter and more conistent. there were some gmes where he did indeed deserve criticism.
Posters on HF weren't the only ones noticing this as well, as pundits have been calling him out numerous times, including Oilers biggest homer in Bob Stauffer.

Reactions: frag2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sure, but at some point Chiarelli needs to sign a guy or two to a good or great deal, rather than a "Its not that bad" deal.

I agree, it's a bit higher than I desired but I'm a huge fan of his so I don't mind. It's the term overpay to Lucic and Russell that will hinder the team going forward, not a slight overpayment to 2 elite talents through their prime years. I like the idea of paying players for what they are and will be than paying them for what they were and won't be for long.

Ultimately, whether it's 12 or 12.5M in McDavid's case or 8 or 8.5M in Draisaitl's case, it should be celebrated that we have two of the best young centers in the league locked up through their 20s. Now it's up to Chia or whoever is GM going forward to build a team around them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I disagree on him being our 2nd best player, ...Nurse, and RNH I think have been btter and more conistent. there were some gmes where he did indeed deserve criticism.
Posters on HF weren't the only ones noticing this as well, as pundits have been calling him out numerous times, including Oilers biggest homer in Bob Stauffer.

Nuge most of the season has been 13GA/60mins on the pk. Simply awful. hardly ever mentioned.

He's regressed quite a lot through the season as well. He went from a career high 53% on the dot to now being sub 50%. He's never had a season where he's been over 50%.

Nuge has one goal in 2018. An empty net goal. he's been -4 in these 7 games. With an empty net goal and an assist.

Nuge has 16 goals but two of them are empty net goals (goalie pulled) and two others he was credited for teams scoring own goals. So some considerable puck luck and shooting % that is well over his career numbers. 5% over.

Drai is better on faceoffs, better on pk, better developing wingers and utilizing them, obtains far higher ppg, is +11 on the season while nuge is -4. has similar difficulty of minutes. Drai is harder physically to play against.

Drai is a far better passer, not even close, and is again this season.

Finally, Drai is a beast and can take a pounding to make plays. He's been drilled harder than Nuge at least 20 times this season and doesn't break. He's built like a tank and uses his physical size well. I'm not sure when comparing players people even look at the skilled player with size of course being worth more than the skilled player that lacks it.

as far as media criticism the same people were torching Drais play in stints even last season. for instance Tychkowski in the Sun. Tychkowski even stupidly claimed last season in an article that Drai was playing poorly and was doing nothing at all to warrant a good contract. he just blasted him, said his motivation was lacking etc. I hardly pay any heed to what sports journalists write. They change their tune every week.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nuge most of the season has been 13GA/60mins on the pk. Simply awful. hardly ever mentioned.

He's regressed quite a lot through the season as well. He went from a career high 53% on the dot to now being sub 50%. He's never had a season where he's been over 50%.

Nuge has one goal in 2018. An empty net goal. he's been -4 in these 7 games. With an empty net goal and an assist.

Drai is better on faceoffs, better on pk, better developing wingers and utilizing them, obtains far higher ppg, is +11 on the season while nuge is -4. has similar difficulty of minutes. Drai is harder physically to play against.

Finally, Drai is a beast and can take a pounding to make plays. He's been drilled harder than Nuge at least 20 times this season and doesn't break. He's built like a tank and uses his physical size well. I'm not sure when comparing players people even look at the skilled player with size of course being worth more than the skilled player that lacks it.

100% on all of this.

The only way one could argue Nuge has been better than Draisaitl is relative to expectations for each player entering the season.

In a vacuum though Draisaitl is better offensively and defensively. There's nothing Nuge does better.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
100% on all of this.

The only way one could argue Nuge has been better than Draisaitl is relative to expectations for each player entering the season.

In a vacuum though Draisaitl is better offensively and defensively. There's nothing Nuge does better.

There's been games where Nuge's been better, but I basically agree with what you and Drivesaitl wrote.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Nuge has 16 goals but two of them are empty net goals (goalie pulled) and two others he was credited for teams scoring own goals. So some considerable puck luck and shooting % that is well over his career numbers. 5% over.

as far as media criticism the same people were torching Drais play in stints even last season. for instance Tychkowski in the Sun. Tychkowski even stupidly claimed last season in an article that Drai was playing poorly and was doing nothing at all to warrant a good contract. he just blasted him, said his motivation was lacking etc. I hardly pay any heed to what sports journalists write. They change their tune every week.
Nuge has flown under the radar of criticism for years now. No surprise.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Draisaitl is the better player, with Drai his issue is consistency. This is common among bigger players. That said the concussion earlier in the season did him no favors. Drai will have to be good pretty much every night with Nuge out if the team wants to keep their minuscule playoff chances alive. While some maybe thinking that Drai unlocked a new gear from Puljujarvi, just remember that Jesse seems to do better after breaks, I don't want to hear about how Jesse is a bum if he stops producing on Drai's wing because Jesse is younger and Drai is supposed to be our 2nd best player on most nights so it is on Drai to keep Jesse producing not the other way around. Hopefully Lucic has a stronger game going forward because then this line could really be lethal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He really has not. In a vacuum he is our 2nd best player, but this season he has been far too up and down for my liking. Nuge and Nurse have been more consistent as has Connor. That said when Drai is going he is definitely our 2nd best player.

Imagine how poor our PP would be this season without Nuge's contributions on the 2nd PP unit? Another poster said that Drai is better than Nuge at everything, while he is better at most things there are things that Nuge is better at and has been better at this season and the PP is definitely one of them.

Reactions: booyakasha

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He really has not. In a vacuum he is our 2nd best player, but this season he has been far too up and down for my liking. Nuge and Nurse have been more consistent as has Connor. That said when Drai is going he is definitely our 2nd best player.

Again... this is expectations vs reality. Nuge has only been more consistent in the sense that he has far lower expectations. Draisaitl in a vacuum or not in a vacuum has been our 2nd best player imo. Better offenisvely, better defensively. Honorable mention to Nurse with Nuge coming up 4th. Although there's no shame in that. Nuge has definitely been better than I thought he would have been this season.

Imagine how poor our PP would be this season without Nuge's contributions on the 2nd PP unit? Another poster said that Drai is better than Nuge at everything, while he is better at most things there are things that Nuge is better at and has been better at this season and the PP is definitely one of them.

Nuge being better on the PP this year is a fair point. It's an area that Draisaitl hasn't been very good at. I haven't liked how he and McDavid have read off each other on the PP at all this year. Hate how he's set up in the middle of the ice and they just play catch for 60 seconds where nothing comes of it.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Puljujarvi is very fast as is Draisaitl so they seem to do everything at the same time.
McDavid is even faster and may need someone as fast to compliment him. Not sure but I think Kassian is the next fastest skater. Kassian can't score for the life of him this year thouh. Tons of breakaways but never any finish.
Yeah I don't think Kassian is faster than Puljujarvi. It doesn't really matter however because Kassian lacks the skill/consistency to play top 6 role. I am not sure what the best options for McDavid are he just makes due with what he's got and is productive regardless. Going back to Drai though, I agree, it just seems like their games are just better suited for each other. Drasaitle must have found JP for more 1 timers in one game than than McDavid has the entire duration they were on a line together.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Again... this is expectations vs reality. Nuge has only been more consistent in the sense that he has far lower expectations. Draisaitl in a vacuum or not in a vacuum has been our 2nd best player imo. Better offenisvely, better defensively. Honorable mention to Nurse with Nuge coming up 4th. Although there's no shame in that. Nuge has definitely been better than I thought he would have been this season.

Nuge being better on the PP this year is a fair point. It's an area that Draisaitl hasn't been very good at. I haven't liked how he and McDavid have read off each other on the PP at all this year. Hate how he's set up in the middle of the ice and they just play catch for 60 seconds where nothing comes of it.

Perhaps it's because I'm a big fan of Nuge (and Drai fwiw) and I expect more out of Drai due to his new price tag. Areas that IMO Nuge are better than in general, takeaways, knocking down pucks with his stick and IMO it's at least debatable that Nuge has a quicker release. The rest is Drai minus consistency and PP play this season IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah I don't think Kassian is faster than Puljujarvi. It doesn't really matter however because Kassian lacks the skill/consistency to play top 6 role. I am not sure what the best options for McDavid are he just makes due with what he's got and is productive regardless. Going back to Drai though, I agree, it just seems like their games are just better suited for each other. Drasaitle must have found JP for more 1 timers in one game than than McDavid has the entire duration they were on a line together.

McDavid really didn't look for Jesse much in a shooting position which IMO was kind of frustrating. It'll be interesting to see how the Drai/Pulju combo does against better teams and teams that are dialed in instead of coming off of a lengthy break.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The really is that Drai is a better player, has been a better player than Nuge this season, and is always better. Pretty consistently.

I just cited that Nuge has been -4 in the last 7GP and would be -5 except for bagging an empty net goal. The only goal he scored this year. That's inconsistency and it happens much more with Nuge than Draisaitl.

You name some innocuous things that Nuge could be better at but to counter Drai is an entirely dominating player. He doesn't need stick work alone. He just moves people right off the puck.

Drai is +11 this year and his numbers are just as good without McD. Try to explain that. He's facing tough opposition too and sometimes while being shouldered with Strome and Khaira, two players that Nuge has no success with.

Drai is an elite player in this league already and he just turned 22 3mths ago. Nuge is a 7year veteran, 3 yrs older, that isn't going to get any better and is not even close to elite in the NHL.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The really is that Drai is a better player, has been a better player than Nuge this season, and is always better. Pretty consistently.

I just cited that Nuge has been -4 in the last 7GP and would be -5 except for bagging an empty net goal. The only goal he scored this year. That's inconsistency and it happens much more with Nuge than Draisaitl.

You name some innocuous things that Nuge could be better at but to counter Drai is an entirely dominating player. He doesn't need stick work alone. He just moves people right off the puck.

Drai is +11 this year and his numbers are just as good without McD. Try to explain that. He's facing tough opposition too and sometimes while being shouldered with Strome and Khaira, two players that Nuge has no success with.

And Drai hasn't had equally poor stretches? Has Drai been saddled with Cammalleri as much as Nuge has? Khaira is one of our best wingers and Nuge did have some success with Strome. Nuge however has not been given much time with McDavid like Drai has. Drai is the better player but his level of play has been far more up and down this season than Nuge's. Drai by my eye has yet to get back to his level of play last season and his skating does not seem to be as good at top speed and his level of physical play has been lacking since his concussion. Drai has more to give, we're going to need every bit of it going down the stretch drive.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And Drai hasn't had equally poor stretches? Has Drai been saddled with Cammalleri as much as Nuge has? Khaira is one of our best wingers and Nuge did have some success with Strome. Nuge however has not been given much time with McDavid like Drai has. Drai is the better player but his level of play has been far more up and down this season than Nuge's. Drai by my eye has yet to get back to his level of play last season and his skating does not seem to be as good at top speed and his level of physical play has been lacking since his concussion. Drai has more to give, we're going to need every bit of it going down the stretch drive.

Nuge hasn't looked particularly good anytime he's played with McD. Nuge has also had a fair amount of Maroon, Lucic, Pulju who are far better wingers than Khaira at this point,. Khaira is not one of our better wingers. Certainly not when he's getting nothing in terms of feeds from Nuge.

Drai did more with Pulju in one game than the production Nuge has got out of the kid all season. Wonder why that is.

But heres the thing, in his whole career Nuge has rarely had an assignment where he's carrying two wingers. Rarely. He usually has one or two quality wingers to work with. Usually its been better players than himself. That's how his career has gone.

Fact of the matter is Drai is +11 on the season, Nuge -4, and with similar QOT and QOC. Drai has way more ppg this season than Nuge has. Drai also better at faceoffs, better at PK, generally better at PP.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nuge hasn't looked particularly good anytime he's played with McD. Nuge has also had a fair amount of Maroon, Lucic, Pulju who are far better wingers than Khaira at this point,. Khaira is not one of our better wingers. Certainly not when he's getting nothing in terms of feeds from Nuge.

Drai did more with Pulju in one game than the cumulative sum of production Nuge has got out of the kid. Wonder why that is.

But heres the thing, in his whole career Nuge has rarely had an assignment where he's carrying two wingers. Rarely. He usually has one or two quality wingers to work with.

Fact of the matter is Drai is +11 on the season, Nuge -4, and with similar QOT and QOC. Drai has way more ppg this season than Nuge has. Drai also better at faceoffs, better at PK, generally better at PP.

He has rarely played with him and has scored a number of goals when they have been together.

Khaira is better than you give him credit for, he is much better than Cammalleri for instance. How about we wait more than 1 game? I hope that they continue to click because that would be great. Jesse and Leon have been inconsistent this season, where was Leon when we needed goals after the Christmas break?

How are Drai's splits with/without McDavid this season? Better on the PK remains to be seen as Drai hasn't played a whole lot there. I hope that you're right on that front. Generally does not = this season. Drai's ineffectiveness on the PP may well cost McDavid the Art Ross this season.

EDIT-Although to be fair he doesn't decide to keep rolling Letestu out there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He has rarely played with him and has scored a number of goals when they have been together.

Khaira is better than you give him credit for, he is much better than Cammalleri for instance. How about we wait more than 1 game? I hope that they continue to click because that would be great. Jesse and Leon have been inconsistent this season, where was Leon when we needed goals after the Christmas break?

How are Drai's splits with/without McDavid this season? Better on the PK remains to be seen as Drai hasn't played a whole lot there. I hope that you're right on that front. Generally does not = this season. Drai's ineffectiveness on the PP may well cost McDavid the Art Ross this season.

EDIT-Although to be fair he doesn't decide to keep rolling Letestu out there.

Nobody on the team was scoring in a few games after Xmas but its Drais fault while he was saddled with wingers like Strome and Khaira and the other top centers had better wingers to work with.

If drai is more inconsistent than Nuge how come he's produced in more games (even though he's played 4 less) and rarely goes long at all without getting on the board. Plus obviously that his per game production is much higher than Nuge, even in Nuges comeback year. Last year this convo isn't even happening.

I don't blame Drai for the PP and neither do you really. You're saying that in the moment. I think we both know the problem with the PP and he's wearing a suit on the bench.

Khaira has 8 goals. He scores goals when he's wide open. Last night he got the goal because Drai makes a squeeze at the point to keep the puck in, moves it to Pulju and theres a lot of open ice to work with at that point. The play doesn't occur, and the puck is going the other way if Drai doesn't make that play. But the same Khaira had gone 9 games without scoring a goal before that. He's sure not ready to replace Maroons production. Nor could you put Khaira on the topline. That isn't even feasible. He wouldn't have the stamina to play 5 games in a row up top.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm going to bow out here because I really like Drai and don't want to come across as bashing him. I'll leave with my final point being that I think that he can be even better than he has been so far this season and I hope to see that from him going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad