Leivo, 1st impressions are the most lasting.

champs*

I wonder if they will play Leivo with Willie when he comes up? Leivo was willies left winger on the marlies.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I've watched a lot of Leivo with the Marlies, he's been great this year. He just keeps developing well, and has looked like he belongs at the NHL so far. I definitely see 20-25 goal potential in him.

I never thought he would be described as a player with good vision and IQ though.

From my viewings he's a north-south player with decent speed and a good shot who forechecks well. The third best player on a scoring line or good bottom-6er.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I never thought he would be described as a player with good vision and IQ though.

From my viewings he's a north-south player with decent speed and a good shot who forechecks well. The third best player on a scoring line or good bottom-6er.

Good bottom 6, but one who can chip in offense, own the boards, have a good stick to win puck battles, good speed, and has some good size in him.

I'd definitely take him over a guy like Boyes.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Good bottom 6, but one who can chip in offense, own the boards, have a good stick to win puck battles, good speed, and has some good size in him.

I'd definitely take him over a guy like Boyes.

Yep. A guy with his skill-set is useful in a scoring role as well. Sort of how Abdelkader plays on the top line in Detroit.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yep. A guy with his skill-set is useful in a scoring role as well. Sort of how Abdelkader plays on the top line in Detroit.

Maybe, he has a heavy shot, his vision has definitely improved, I just see him having a spot in the bottom 6 as opposed to the top 6, but that is just me.

Either way, frustrated he hasn't at least been promoted to the 3rd line, I thought his game has been strong. Maybe Sosh gets a chance after we move some bodies.

I could see Leivo-Gauthier-Soshnikov as a real PITA to play against as a 4th line in a couple of years. Maybe sub in Leipsic for Leivo if Leivo ends up sticking on the 3rd line.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I am just looking at what I see from his NHL performances. There were multiple examples of solid passes made in tight situations that I would say take good vision of the ice. Although most of these passes were mishandled IMO they were playable. Every now and then a player comes up and looks better because of the way NHLers play vs AHLers. I'm not saying this is a top 6 player but certainly a player that could play 3rd line and be bumped up if needed.

It's a very limited sample but looks good so far. He looked better than more than half of our UFA trade bait.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I wonder if they will play Leivo with Willie when he comes up? Leivo was willies left winger on the marlies.

Perhaps this is why his game has advanced and he looks good on NHL ice. Nylander clearly being NHL material, elusive and all the rest, Leivo now knows how to find him or what to expect from top talent.

He should be moved up and hopefully puts up points soon.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
if you like Leivo and you should! wait until this russian dude Nikita Soshnikov comes up!! you will love him!! scores more points on the third line than he does on the first line! He is the next marlie that will become a regular leaf along with Leivo.

I like Sosh, but I watched a game down in Syracuse and Leipsic was the best player on the ice by a mile...engaged in the play every shift and skates like the wind. Just had another big game in St John's....
a Leaf next year Im guessing.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I like Sosh, but I watched a game down in Syracuse and Leipsic was the best player on the ice by a mile...engaged in the play every shift and skates like the wind. Just had another big game in St John's....

That´s sounds great. Everything else about his game I have heard about but not that his skating was that good.

champs*

oh i like leipsic too, fun to watch!! He like Willie likes to skate with the puck! interesting to see where he fits in the leafs future down the road.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I saw on the Flyers gdt that Babs switched up our lines and Leivo was the extra forward. Ugh I hope he's not in the pressbox against Philly.

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
I don't think I can take watching Grabner and Matthias in the top 6 anymore.

Leivo couldn't possibly do any worst. His shot alone would be a massive upgrade over Matthias and Grabner.

i believe these two are being slotted here to hopefully increase their trade value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad