Leivo, 1st impressions are the most lasting.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I thought he looked solid last night and that he can play in this league.

I thought the first game Leivo played, he was playing a Marlies winning game and making passes to a slumping, unable to score team. They couldn't get a handle on them. Plays the Marlies are probably finishing. Last night he followed up well and Boyes was stoned on a quality set up. Keep doing the same things.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I thought the first game Leivo played, he was playing a Marlies winning game and making passes to a slumping, unable to score team. They couldn't get a handle on them. Plays the Marlies are probably finishing. Last night he followed up well and Boyes was stoned on a quality set up. Keep doing the same things.

His passes were almost all passes that Nylander, Kapanen, JVR, Kadri could have worked with. He got cheated by stone hands flat out.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Leivo has to look for his defencemen. The Marlies D is always where they are supposed to be. The leafs not so much.

Leivo looks like he is treating this callup seriously and has a clear idea of what he needs to do. That is all coaching which is a good sign.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
The pass to Boyes last night was a thing of beauty. I think he still looks a bit tentative at times (adjustment to the NHL), but he seems to be a Babcock type of bottom-six player. He should carve out an NHL career and should be considered for a full-time position after the deadline.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
With a four game losing skid and Matthias and Grabner now running stagnant, I sense a potential top six opportunity for Leivo, too.

I'm impressed with his play to say the least. He needs to play with someone that has the hockey IQ to handle a no look pass at speed.

Were they ever not stagnant?

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I've watched a lot of Leivo with the Marlies, he's been great this year. He just keeps developing well, and has looked like he belongs at the NHL so far. I definitely see 20-25 goal potential in him.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I bet Leivo works his way up to play with one of Kadri or Bozak before JVR returns from injury, and sticks with the Leafs for the rest of the season :nod:

champs*

I like the way Matthias and Grabner play, both have hands of stone but they compete!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I bet Leivo works his way up to play with one of Kadri or Bozak before JVR returns from injury, and sticks with the Leafs for the rest of the season :nod:

I could see that.

Since Leivo is getting PP time but plays on the 4th line currently, it would actually make sense to play him on a regular line 5v5 that also plays the 1st or 2nd PP unit.

Josh is not avoid of contact and willing to go hard to the net and could be effective with an increased role.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I like the way Matthias and Grabner play, both have hands of stone but they compete!

Matthias may have been the best player on the Leafs last night, he has to finish though. Robbed by Darling on one chance.

Leivo was with the Leafs last year & wasn't very impressive & was basically average with the Marlies. He has picked up his game this year with the Marlies & has played with a lot of confidence & as I said yesterday has consistently been in the top 2 with the Marlies.

Before people start anointing him as a Leaf saviour & put down the current "NHL" players. You should realize both Matthias & Grabner would destroy the AHL & Babcock will give their 400 ish games NHL experience its due.

Leivo earned his opportunity, now he'll need to earn his spot or he'll be sent back down as quick as Babcock can say Arcobello.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
I thought he acquitted himself well, looked like he belonged. The knock on him before was his play away from the puck and he seems to have shored that up nicely, so far at least.

Would like to see Soshnikov up for a look too, though that might be after the deadline barring an injury.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Just a solid all around forward. Good size, good hustle, good speed, good hands and hockey IQ. I thought he'd stick in his first call up 2 years ago, somewhat surprised he still hasn't made it full time (maybe now, though?). I do expect him to be a solid NHLer, a good 3rd liner with 2nd line upside.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Matthias may have been the best player on the Leafs last night, he has to finish though. Robbed by Darling on one chance.

Leivo was with the Leafs last year & wasn't very impressive & was basically average with the Marlies. He has picked up his game this year with the Marlies & has played with a lot of confidence & as I said yesterday has consistently been in the top 2 with the Marlies.

Before people start anointing him as a Leaf saviour & put down the current "NHL" players. You should realize both Matthias & Grabner would destroy the AHL & Babcock will give their 400 ish games NHL experience its due.

Leivo earned his opportunity, now he'll need to earn his spot or he'll be sent back down as quick as Babcock can say Arcobello.

This is essentially the thought process in why the Leafs have been by far the worst team in all of sports for player development because there's no commitment to youth at the NHL level valuing mediocre vets on the down swing in the name of experience over a young guy with potential to be just as good if not better if they would just commit, go through the pain to get the gain.

The thought process you have and many others do as well leaves it to chance that a young player would step in find instant chemistry with new line mates, playing in a new league where the game is crisper faster than they ever played in. Your setting them up to fail like this asking for the impossible to beat out somebody who's already comfortable in there surrounding playing in the NHL. The body of work you take in for a youngster to make a believer in them isn't this first crack of NHL games. It's what they've done in the AHL you take note of and if you feel it projects in the NHL playing for your team. If they make a believer in you call them up & COMMIT. It takes 20 games for most just to find a comfort with line mates to form chemistry and it takes over 80 games of NHL experience to find a comfort level of playing in this league figuring out what it is you as a player in your game to be successful.

Take Leon Draisaitl as an example... The talk is that last year he was rushed wasn't ready blah , blah blah. Those games he got in the NHL last season is why he's been awesome this year. The experience he gained playing in the NHL with teammates & NHL competition gave him first hand experience in what it takes for his game to thrive in the NHL... He took that learned from it and came back ready something he would have never got without those NHL games. This is what we call go through pain to get the gain & the Leafs still are not willing to go through that until they do you can kiss this rebuild dead as we speak.

Leivo just like it was in camp even with jitters, apprehension & a lack of experience to feel just a bit comfortable is proving just how much of a waste of time Matthias & Grabner and I would add Boyes to this really are. They're not better players at all just experience that having them robs Leivo of.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just a solid all around forward. Good size, good hustle, good speed, good hands and hockey IQ. I thought he'd stick in his first call up 2 years ago, somewhat surprised he still hasn't made it full time (maybe now, though?). I do expect him to be a solid NHLer, a good 3rd liner with 2nd line upside.

The way I see it is once you have a core and some elite talent, and the farm is providing a steady flow of 3rd liners with 2nd line upside. Then you have a contender. That template is hard to be beat with good work ethic.

Its the ideal situation to work it like Chicago. An injury happens and a Leivo gets bumped up, he rips it up with your core guys and is tradeable for a premium. Rinse repeat, development is the key to sustainability.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
The way I see it is once you have a core and some elite talent, and the farm is providing a steady flow of 3rd liners with 2nd line upside. Then you have a contender. That template is hard to be beat with good work ethic.

Its the ideal situation to work it like Chicago. An injury happens and a Leivo gets bumped up, he rips it up with your core guys and is tradeable for a premium. Rinse repeat, development is the key to sustainability.

:thumbu:

and I would add opportunity + commitment. Without these 2 aspects provided to young guys your not developing. It's the biggest key for player development.

You want good vets with young guys rather your a rebuilding team or a contender, hasbeens like the Leafs added 5 of them in the off season is a waste of time.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I really hope we see him stick the rest of the season. He seems ideal to go into next season w/ on the 3rd.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Better than he was in his previous auditions, better than Froese, roughly equivalent to Boyes, not better than vets like Grabner, Matthias, Winnik. Still a bit of a sloppy skater and not quite as strong as he needs to be.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Better than he was in his previous auditions, better than Froese, roughly equivalent to Boyes, not better than vets like Grabner, Matthias, Winnik. Still a bit of a sloppy skater and not quite as strong as he needs to be.

yep like a 3rd rounder would look ....no surprises

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
He's a good middle sixer, would have liked to see him take a few more offensive chances but I can't complain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad