News Article: Lehner goes into detail about his time in Buffalo

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I dont remember hearing about the training staff being so incompetent back then, but it looks bad, he says they had him working out heavy on a high ankle sprain a week after.

And a quote at the end isnt suprising at all, the fans at the morgue have been awful for a long long time

"I’m not trying to offend any Buffalo fans, but then you go and try to play the game you love with the pressure that comes with it, you go out in warmups and it’s just because they had lost for so many years, they hate you. It wasn’t fun. They call out the names before the game and OK they cheer for Jack Eichel but boo the rest.”

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm underpaid.
Fans hate me.
I had to ride a bike with sprained ankle
They made me practice shootouts
Yadda Yadda Yadda

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I seem to remember the Sabres being very supportive of Lehner when he needed mental health counseling. Did I imagine that?

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
This sucks to hear. Buffalo already struggles to attract worthwhile talent and this is just one more thing to make the organization look bad. Have to say I wouldn't hold back if I were Lehner though. Can't be mad at him for mistakes the medical staff made.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Maybe there were other issues not related to this story?
Right. the guy who was fired was a hack, and was not on the same page as team doctors during his stay.

But from all accounts ive read, the ankle sprain treatment wasn't inherently wrong.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This sucks to hear. Buffalo already struggles to attract worthwhile talent and this is just one more thing to make the organization look bad. Have to say I wouldn't hold back if I were Lehner though. Can't be mad at him for mistakes the medical staff made.

Can you be mad at him when the medical staff didn't make any mistakes with his treatment, and he's just talking shit without actually knowing what he's talking about? Because that's what seems to be happening here.

ETA: Also, for a guy who, by his own account, was greatly helped by the Sabres organization, he's just being a dick antagonizing the org now, years later.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
ETA: Also, for a guy who, by his own account, was greatly helped by the Sabres organization, he's just being a dick antagonizing the org now, years later.

It's just a Vegas negotiating tactic to get KA to break in his Eichel trade talks.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I wouldn’t listen to the account of a bi-polar alcoholic during the worst years of his substance abuse issues. It’s just not a reliable take. Have always rooted for Robin and am happy that he is so open about his mental health, but this is just a dumb take. He’s not a doctor.

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
Lehner has no creditability as far as I'm concerned . This guy continued to play out his contract in Buffalo while dealing with a drinking and possibly substance abuse issue . He's put up decent numbers , but the fact that NYI and Chicago either let him go or traded him , speaks volumes . Vegas doesn't impress me as being an organization that values character , so maybe he belongs there .

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Cry me a river. Fans aren't there to be your emotional support group, they're there to be entertained and hopefully be able to enjoy a win every once in awhile. Maybe if he could stop a beach ball in the shootout they wouldn't have booed him.

Last edited:

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
I would like to make a joke about his meds right now, but i can't because this is not right.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Play better and you won’t get booed, I can motherf***ing promise you that. Tired of this clown.

You were f***ing atrocious here - the long list of reasons why is irrelevant. We overpaid for him, he underperformed (absolutely sucked), he left and it was everyone else’s fault that stoppable pucks from desirable areas routinely beat him. These are all facts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad