OT: Left Handed Shooters

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Being a left handed person throughout my life, and knowing that only 10% of the world is left handed and being victimized by so many things from notebooks to tool rotation, I find it odd that there are more lefty shooters in the NHL than righties and the Isles only have 3 forwards on the roster that shoot righty (Clutter, Barzal and Eberle) and most teams are more than 60% lefty on the their forward line.

Are these players a bunch of right handed people that shoot lefty or are they right handed in everything they do but become lefty in hockey for some kind of advantage.... or does this game favor left handed people. It is a bit puzzling.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
The NHL has been left handed dominant for a while now. The shift to me was noticeable...I'd say the past 10+ years..

I was watching an all girls hockey game...NOT ONE player on both teams was right handed. Not even the goalies...it was insane.

I think they were older..like 17 years old.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Being a left handed person throughout my life, and knowing that only 10% of the world is left handed and being victimized by so many things from notebooks to tool rotation, I find it odd that there are more lefty shooters in the NHL than righties and the Isles only have 3 forwards on the roster that shoot righty (Clutter, Barzal and Bailey) and most teams are more than 60% lefty on the their forward line.

Are these players a bunch of right handed people that shoot lefty or are they right handed in everything they do but become lefty in hockey for some kind of advantage.... or does this game favor left handed people. It is a bit puzzling.
Canadian players are usually taught to play with their non-dominant hand because it is easier to stick handle. So most of the lefties are actually right handed.

Last edited:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The NHL has been left handed dominant for a while now. The shift to me was noticeable...I'd say the past 10+ years..

I was watching an all girls hockey game...NOT ONE player on both teams was right handed. Not even the goalies...it was insane.

But are these people true lefties or is there some advantage to being left handed in the game... outside of bowling we don't have many sports where we have a big advantage, tennis somewhat... baseball hitting somewhat

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Canadian players are usually taught to play with their non-dominant hand because it is easier to stick handle. So most of the lefties are actually right handed and some of the lefties shoot right handed.

Hmm, not doubting you but why would their non-dominant hand be better for stick handling.. is it like playing guitar where you want your better hand to be fretting

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Hmm, not doubting you but why would their non-dominant hand be better for stick handling.. is it like playing guitar where you want your better hand to be fretting
I’m not sure exactly. I’m a righty and shoot right so I can’t speak from experience about what makes it easier.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think there is dominant and semi dominant. I am a true right dominant person....but my cousin for example writes with his right hand and shoots with his left. I think this is weird because swinging a hockey stick is like swinging a golf club...the power hand is on the shaft and the other hand is used to guide the shot..

So to me...it doesn't make sense to NOT use your dominant hand as your choice of which side you shoot.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think there is dominant and semi dominant. I am a true right dominant person....but my cousin for example writes with his right hand and shoots with his left. I think this is weird because swinging a hockey stick is like swinging a golf club...the power hand is on the shaft and the other hand is used to guide the shot..

So to me...it doesn't make sense to NOT use your dominant hand as your choice of which side you shoot.

I remember playing hockey in gym class with those plastic sticks and being dominant left, used my left hand LOL... but I guess if you use your legs to drive power and your best hand to anchor the stick then you are more accurate perhaps.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Just my 2 cents being right handed but shooting left, the right hand at the top of the stick gives you more control of the stick, the right hand at the shaft gives you more power

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Just my 2 cents being right handed but shooting left, the right hand at the top of the stick gives you more control of the stick, the right hand at the shaft gives you more power
This is exactly correct. I'm right-handed and shoot left. That's just the way I was taught and most Europeans play that way. First time I picked up a baseball bat I swung lefty. Never learned how to bat righty.

Reactions: Hagstrom

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i don't know anyone who was 'trained' to be left-handed. we let our kids play and let them decide what is mort comfortable for them.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Welp..

I guess it comes down to Power vs Accuracy? *shrug*

I always thought I was fairly accurate though..hmm I did have a heavy wrist shot though..and there was NO WAY I could shoot left...anything left was awful for me.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Being a left handed person throughout my life, and knowing that only 10% of the world is left handed and being victimized by so many things from notebooks to tool rotation, I find it odd that there are more lefty shooters in the NHL than righties and the Isles only have 3 forwards on the roster that shoot righty (Clutter, Barzal and Eberle) and most teams are more than 60% lefty on the their forward line.

Canadian players are usually taught to play with their non-dominant hand because it is easier to stick handle. So most of the lefties are actually right handed and some of the lefties shoot right handed.

This is correct.

But are these people true lefties or is there some advantage to being left handed in the game... outside of bowling we don't have many sports where we have a big advantage, tennis somewhat... baseball hitting somewhat

I'm right handed and play hockey lefty as a forward, but right handed as a goalie. Controlling the stick with one hand is easier when it's your dominant hand and you use that for puck control. I don't really use the bottom hand for much other than leverage or guiding. It's usually taught to Canadians, and apparently Europeans per this thread, for righties to learn how to play lefty. It's mostly an American thing for right handers to play as a righty. That said, I think the advantage goes away as you get older and once you've become accustomed to one there aren't really any benefits anymore.

Also, figured I'd point out that in golf I'm a righty when driving, can putt both ways, and when swinging a baseball bat am mostly right handed. Hockey is the most lefty thing I do. The mechanics are so much different in golf and baseball that it just doesn't translate. Also, the way power is generated in baseball is so much different because you're not relying at all on the shaft of your stick.

Out of curiosity, why do lefties have an advantage in bowling?

Reactions: Hagstrom

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
This is correct.

I'm right handed and play hockey lefty as a forward, but right handed as a goalie. Controlling the stick with one hand is easier when it's your dominant hand and you use that for puck control. I don't really use the bottom hand for much other than leverage or guiding. It's usually taught to Canadians, and apparently Europeans per this thread, for righties to learn how to play lefty. It's mostly an American thing for right handers to play as a righty. That said, I think the advantage goes away as you get older and once you've become accustomed to one there aren't really any benefits anymore.

Also, figured I'd point out that in golf I'm a righty when driving, can putt both ways, and when swinging a baseball bat am mostly right handed. Hockey is the most lefty thing I do. The mechanics are so much different in golf and baseball that it just doesn't translate. Also, the way power is generated in baseball is so much different because you're not relying at all on the shaft of your stick.

Out of curiosity, why do lefties have an advantage in bowling?

Thanks for the explanation, I am so deadly lefty I have to buy lefty scissors, lefty guitar...

As for bowling, lefties have a massive advantage... bowling relies on the amount of grease on the lane, and if you are playing 4 v 4 or 5 v 5, by the 8th frame of the first game because of the amount balls rolled on the right side, there will be so much less oil/grease on the lane that the ball won't hook as well by the 2nd or 3rd game compared to lefties who will have the grease/oil all 3 games. The assumption is that lefties have wild hooks when in fact it is just relentless oil... and sadly it is not a game where you can bowl lefty if you are a righty, I never remember seeing someone bowl lefty that is rightie.

Basketball, my deception was always that my right leg was stronger than my left (kick a football with the right) so I can really jab step right and go left all game and the guy covering me will keep forgetting that I am lefty and never go right.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hockey is weird. I shot right handed and I’m right handed.

My brother is right handed but shot lefty in hockey. Even odder he batted righty in baseball.

Never made sense to me.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks for the explanation, I am so deadly lefty I have to buy lefty scissors, lefty guitar...

As for bowling, lefties have a massive advantage... bowling relies on the amount of grease on the lane, and if you are playing 4 v 4 or 5 v 5, by the 8th frame of the first game because of the amount balls rolled on the right side, there will be so much less oil/grease on the lane that the ball won't hook as well by the 2nd or 3rd game compared to lefties who will have the grease/oil all 3 games. The assumption is that lefties have wild hooks when in fact it is just relentless oil... and sadly it is not a game where you can bowl lefty if you are a righty, I never remember seeing someone bowl lefty that is rightie.

Basketball, my deception was always that my right leg was stronger than my left (kick a football with the right) so I can really jab step right and go left all game and the guy covering me will keep forgetting that I am lefty and never go right.

That's crazy and something I never would've thought of. If only I could hook a bowling ball I could train myself to be a lefty instead.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
That's crazy and something I never would've thought of. If only I could hook a bowling ball I could train myself to be a lefty instead.

Another sport where going from your natural hand does not work, many sports actually that can't be done, remarkably in Tennis Rafael Nadal is a natural rightie and his uncle trained him to be lefty

For bowling a hook is really a wide grip where the two fingers are further away from the thumb hole the way the holes are drilled into the ball, and it is just getting used to that discomfort

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014

I think they were older..like 17 years old.

I can't say for sure whether I'm left handed or right handed, but I can definitely tell you that I play like a girl.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
My two boys both played sports growing up. My older son was all righty and an average athlete. He was clearly much more dominant from the right side. My younger son does some things righty-pitched in baseball, played tennis, and he writes with his right hand. But he plays hockey and hits a baseball lefty. He is not nearly as dominant from one side as my older son. I would say he is almost ambidextrous. He could dribble a soccer ball equally well with both feet. Not that he was ever close to being a pro but I suspect the pros have a lot of that in them.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Another thing, as a lefty I've always been aware of what handedness people on the rink are and try to pass it accordingly, it's amazing how many righties never think about it and just assume you're right handed. It's incredibly frustrating to play with players who constantly pass it to the wrong side.

I've been yelled at, "f***ing lefty!" more than a few times while playing.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Another thing, as a lefty I've always been aware of what handedness people on the rink are and try to pass it accordingly, it's amazing how many righties never think about it and just assume you're right handed. It's incredibly frustrating to play with players who constantly pass it to the wrong side.

I've been yelled at, "****ing lefty!" more than a few times while playing.

I am telling you, being lefty is a challenge in this world. But a good excuse not to fix things around the home

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad