League revenues increase to about $2.33B in '06-07

Fugu

You meant $1.6 million, Fugu - no?

Darn cordless keyboard. It has developed this stickiness, repeating some letters if I depress a key for more than 2 picoseconds. I was erasing on such item and I guess I overdid it. Fixed... and thanks. :D

GSC2k2*

From the same Post article:

That puts the NHL average at $1.6 MM (if we count all players that actually got paid any NHL money).

Does anyone know if the oft quoted $1.8 MM average salary pre-lockout was based on the same number of players?

So the players' share should be 55% of $2.25 billion, which is $1.237 billion. That's $29 MM (2.3%) going back to the NHL, no?
I dunno, Fugu. When I read Brooks' article it seemed completely screwy. His reference to 58% was out of the blue and made no sense whatsoever. The possibility that Brooks may not be able to do timeses and gazintas would not surprise me in the least.

I think we might be better off using Bettman's quoted revenue number and Brooks' quoted salary number to figure out what happened to escrow.

Incidentally, salaries in 2002-03 were $1.429 billion. At $1.8 million, that works out to 794 players.

Fugu

I dunno, Fugu. When I read Brooks' article it seemed completely screwy. His reference to 58% was out of the blue and made no sense whatsoever. The possibility that Brooks may not be able to do timeses and gazintas would not surprise me in the least.

I think we might be better off using Bettman's quoted revenue number and Brooks' quoted salary number to figure out what happened to escrow.

Incidentally, salaries in 2002-03 were $1.429 billion. At $1.8 million, that works out to 794 players.

I'm inclined to agree that Bettman's figures are more reliable as I doubt he'd give those to Bloomberg if he didn't have a pretty fair idea of where things should end up. They do line up if you use the starting number for 2005-06, and add the ~7% growth.

Thanks for the 02-03 number.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If the cap ends up at $48.5 million after the 5% inflator, then total revenues only jumped to about $2.275 billion ... well under most other indications. So I messed around with numbers ... if $2.33 billion is the final number, the midpoint before the 5% inflator would be about $40 million; if it was $2.36 billion, the midpoint before the inflator would be just over - (gasp!) $40.5 million, which would imply an upper limit of $48.5 million if the inflator was waived yet again.

So if the cap actually ends up at $48.5 million for '07-08, then there's a huge disconnect between how I got numbers computed for '06-07 and how they fell into place for '07-08. I'm not saying I can't make a mistake on this, but that would be one hell of a shift to make the numbers fall in line as they're being currently reported.

I'm standing by about $49.9 million until the league announces the final number.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Loonie catalyst for increasing NHL salary cap

"On the surface, the leap from a $39-million US salary cap two years ago to one that is approaching $50 million US would seem a sign of a healthy revenue growth.

However, Detroit Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill feels the cap has just about hit the ceiling.

"A big reason for the increase in revenues has been the strengthening of the Canadian dollar," Nill said. "That's got a lot to do with this.

"Over the last few years, the revenue of the Canadian teams is up 20 per cent because the Canadian dollar is up. That's a big part of the cap."

The impact of the soaring loonie was seen in last year's financial figures. The six Canadian teams produce one-third of the NHL's overall revenues.

With the rabid interest of fans in this country, the league's new half-billion dollar TV deal with CBC and the dollar's projection to be near par with the U.S. dollar by year's end, the Canadian content of the NHL's bottom line will probably only grow.

"If you do the math, it's easy to see where the cap increases are coming from," Nill said. "A $100 Canadian ticket in Edmonton two or three years ago was worth $80 US. Now, that $100 ticket is worth $96 US."

Full article here:

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstar....html?id=9218009f-99d2-49e4-8199-68a3299081a4

GHOST

Fugu

"On the surface, the leap from a $39-million US salary cap two years ago to one that is approaching $50 million US would seem a sign of a healthy revenue growth.

However, Detroit Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill feels the cap has just about hit the ceiling.

"A big reason for the increase in revenues has been the strengthening of the Canadian dollar," Nill said. "That's got a lot to do with this.

"Over the last few years, the revenue of the Canadian teams is up 20 per cent because the Canadian dollar is up. That's a big part of the cap."

The impact of the soaring loonie was seen in last year's financial figures. The six Canadian teams produce one-third of the NHL's overall revenues.

With the rabid interest of fans in this country, the league's new half-billion dollar TV deal with CBC and the dollar's projection to be near par with the U.S. dollar by year's end, the Canadian content of the NHL's bottom line will probably only grow.

"If you do the math, it's easy to see where the cap increases are coming from," Nill said. "A $100 Canadian ticket in Edmonton two or three years ago was worth $80 US. Now, that $100 ticket is worth $96 US."

Full article here:

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstar....html?id=9218009f-99d2-49e4-8199-68a3299081a4

GHOST

Tee hee.

I know I've been saying for some time what the CAD's rise has done ro NHL revenues.

Now where it makes it hard for me to pin it down is the time frame. Nill says "last few years" so overall a gain of 20% but what is he using as the starting point 2003 or 2004 or other revenues, etc.? [I'm too lazy to look up the rates for each year right now...]

Regardless, we can back out some it as I did above, equating the current 1/3rd of league revenues USD 769 {CAD 835 MM} to their .80 to the USD value. That would mean ~ USD 668, so a difference of ~100 MM.

That's $2.23 billion vs $2.33 billion for the big picture. That's just a rough estimate, that assumes the 1/3rd of league revenues being Canadian is true, and for the exchange rates I plugged in... As I said above, having Canadian revenues translated when the f(x) rate was in the 0.6-0.7 range would also give another boost, so maybe my ~$200 MM number is not too far off if we compare over say a 5 year period?

STA

Jul 25, 2006
Vancouver
It's the June 25th, the day the NHL announced the official cap last year.

So are they announcing yet?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Sorry ... Bill Daly was a little busy after the draft talking to people and surrounded by (what I assume were) his kids, and I couldn't get 5-10 minutes alone with him to ask the list of questions I had prepared ahead of time. :D

Fugu

NHLPA to Vote on Cap Thursday, 28 June

Tim Wharnsby of the Globe and Mail breaks down some numbers for us. Most importantly the NHLPA Exec Committee will vote on whether to invoke the 5% Growth Factor (sounds like something a biotech company makes)....and thus have a cap at $48ish or $50ish MM:

NHLPA mulls cap target

TIM WHARNSBY

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

The executive board of the National Hockey League Players' Association hunkered down to begin three days of meetings in Toronto yesterday, and the most interesting decision for the fans will be the determination of the league's salary cap this coming season.

The NHLPA executive board, which is made up of the player representatives from each of the league's 30 teams, will vote tomorrow on whether the salary cap for the 2007-08 season will be slightly more than $48-million (all figures U.S.) or more than $50-million — a big jump from the $44-million cap each club operated under this past season.

The salary cap could surge past $50-million if the NHLPA executive board decides to trigger what is referred to, in the league's labour agreement, as the 5-per-cent growth factor. The players have the option of increasing the salary cap by 5 per cent if annual hockey-related revenues match or surpass $2.1-billion in a season, or they can reach an agreement with the NHL on a different percentage.

The article also gives out some escrow figures, including:

*After the 2005-06 NHL season, the players paid an average of 7.4% of their pay into escrow. They received all of that money back plus 4.37% (or a total of $46.3-million)

*This season, 10% of player pay was held in escrow. 2 - 4 % of 2006-07 escrow payments will revert to the NHL "because total league payroll is expected to exceed 54% of revenues."

Here's what Wharnsby says:

The NHLPA membership is expected to lose between 2 per cent to 4 per cent of 2006-07 escrow payments because total league payroll is expected to exceed 54 per cent of revenues. The exact percentage or amount will be determined in the fall.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the amount of escrow withheld was based on the actual spent on player salaries vs. the revenue projections, made four times during the year. The total amount of escrow to be kept by the league will be based on what the actual 2006-07 audited HRR turns out to be-- the the players should be entitled to 55% IF actual revenues exceed $2.2 billion ($2.33 billion is the numer we've all seen)?

RTWAP*

You are not wrong.

Frankly, I think he is off on the $46.3 million, too. It is baffling to me where that number comes from.

A reporter gets his financial facts wrong? Heavens to Betsy!!

Is the $46.3 million the total amount sent to all players to get them to 54% in total player compensation? The math looks about right.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Is the $46.3 million the total amount sent to all players to get them to 54% in total player compensation? The math looks about right.
Correct.

P.S. - since everyone is asking ... the official cap numbers for 2007-08 could be released in the next 24 hours, but should definitely be out within 48 hours once the NHLPA meets to sign off on whether they're putting the 5% inflator in or not.

Last edited:

Fugu

Scoogs just posted in the Trade Rumours forum that Leafs Lunch reported a cap of $50.3 MM....

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
So it looks today should be the day we find out what the cap is for next season
Was just listening online to Leafs Lunch, and the host (Jeff) mentioned quickly as they were going to a new guest that they've learned that the upper limit will be 50.3M, and that the lower limit will be 34-something. I was only half paying attention, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said. I'm sure we'll have confirmation in (online) print soon enough.

SidTheKid87

Aug 1, 2005
I know that through the CBA there is a new way the league and PA count revenues and that determines the cap number, but $50.3 million is too high too quickly. We're going right back where we were before. Attendance is good but the TV deal is mud ... where is this money coming from?

Edit: I'm gonna start answering my question by wading through this thread.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad