Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Jul 6, 2016
If that's your 3rd line who is Dach playing with on the 2nd?
Roy, if he is ready for the task + a player obtained on the trade or UFA market. OR Newhook.
Gally-Evans-Armia can be the third line.

It,s a matter of who they can get in a trade or as a UFA. I certainly would like to get rid of Anderson and Dvorak.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'm still surprised on how little he's talked about in the Mtl medias (and fans). He cleared showed he was top6 talent. The way he kills play is elite and is a great showing of his high hockeyIQ. Add a great shot and he's one hell of a player.
Slaf-Suzuki-Roy (Great all situations top line)
Demidov-Dach-Caufield (Lots of o-zone starts)

Reactions: Dutronc

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If I’m Kent Hughes I give him a real shot at top 6 with Dach and Newhook to start the year. Not 3-4 games, like 40 games unless he’s real bad…

He’s the only one who *might* fill this spot internally. If it doesn’t work go find a top 6 forwards via trade.
Beck might. Mesar might. I mean if we’re dealing with mights 😂😅

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Demidov going to miss 2.5 months due to knee injury. This may see him drop to the 5-7 slot

However i still select Lindstrom ahead of him.
That’s interesting.

If injuries aren’t a thing I don’t know who I’d pick out of those 2. Either or and I’m over the moon. I might say Lindstrom myself. You can’t go wrong with another Slaf really. Come playoff time we’ll be a nightmare to play against. Especially if Dach can get past the injuries. 3 f***ing behemoths who can skate and have skill

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
That’s interesting.

If injuries aren’t a thing I don’t know who I’d pick out of those 2. Either or and I’m over the moon. I might say Lindstrom myself. You can’t go wrong with another Slaf really. Come playoff time we’ll be a nightmare to play against. Especially if Dach can get past the injuries. 3 f***ing behemoths who can skate and have skill
Our own Legion of Doom.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
30 points like Evans?
He’s got more upside than Evans by a fair bit. Look at their minor league stats. Beck will be a solid number three. Newhook on the third with him would give us great scoring depth.

If we land a stud in this draft there’s no room for Newhook in the top six. But he’d be amazing on the 3rd. Can always be moved up in case of an injury

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He’s got more upside than Evans by a fair bit. Look at their minor league stats. Beck will be a solid number three. Newhook on the third with him would give us great scoring depth.

If we land a stud in this draft there’s no room for Newhook in the top six. But he’d be amazing on the 3rd. Can always be moved up in case of an injury
Doesn't Beck also possess a strong shot?

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Beck might. Mesar might. I mean if we’re dealing with mights 😂😅
No way Beck or Mesar are top 6 players. Beck maybe in 5+yrs a solid shutdown type, but i think people have lost sight of what an actual top 6 player is, and how it forms a cohesive unit.

The "mesars" are scattered all over the place in varying leagues.. all teams have this type of player they have drafted. The only way these guys work is if they actually become a top 6, absent that achievement they don't fit in a bottom 6 role, not big enough to do any damage to the opposing teams, or handle heavy minutes when we're under attack.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He’s got more upside than Evans by a fair bit. Look at their minor league stats. Beck will be a solid number three.

Evans at ages 19/20/21 was a ppg player in the NCAA. Not sure Beck beats that. Beck's OHL production is three levels worse than Dvorak's was.

Newhook on the third with him would give us great scoring depth.

Newhook on the third with Monahan and Armia would be like another 2nd line. Beck is far, far, far below Monahan offensively.

Agreed.

My quibble is with Beck, not Newhook.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Evans at ages 19/20/21 was a ppg player in the NCAA. Not sure Beck beats that. Beck's OHL production is three levels worse than Dvorak's was.

Newhook on the third with Monahan and Armia would be like another 2nd line. Beck is far, far, far below Monahan offensively.

Agreed.

My quibble is with Beck, not Newhook.
I think he’s got more offensive upside than you do. He has better numbers than Evans did. We’ll see.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
30 points like Evans?

You may be right in the end but Beck has a higher projected ceiling than a 30 pts Evans. You're underselling Beck at the moment but it's just too dam hard to know one way or another.

I would say Beck and/or Kapanen have solid shots at becoming very good 3C's and there is nothing wrong with that.

Roy is also hard to predict still. Is he a legit top 6F or a middle 6F. Most will say top 6F today and it's fair.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No way Beck or Mesar are top 6 players. Beck maybe in 5+yrs a solid shutdown type, but i think people have lost sight of what an actual top 6 player is, and how it forms a cohesive unit.

The "mesars" are scattered all over the place in varying leagues.. all teams have this type of player they have drafted. The only way these guys work is if they actually become a top 6, absent that achievement they don't fit in a bottom 6 role, not big enough to do any damage to the opposing teams, or handle heavy minutes when we're under attack.

The truth is over half our pool will not reach their ceiling. Who does and who doesn't is guess work. How hard the players work once they turn pro is very difficult to project IMO.

Who thought Struble would rise up so fast? There will be up/down surprises to come.

Today, I would project both Beck and Mesar as potential middle 6F or 3rd line players. I don't believe there is a definitive separation for top 6F's to 3rd line like I see people posting on these boards. There is a shit load of players who play both 2nd and 3rd lines in the NHL today. Some are obviously top 6F but not all of them. Beck and Mesar might fall in this category.

Beck already has the skating/size/weight to handle the pro game. Mesar needs to bulk up and learn how to deal with less time/space in the pro game. He's got skating and skill and great vision but the physical parts of the NHL will give him a challenge IMO.

Reactions: themilosh

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Lol, that line is missing an elite talent of Lindros.
I don't remember Lindros as being an elite talent. He was very talented and was very, very good at using his frame and size to his advantage. Had he been a regular sized player I don't think he would have been considered elite. That is my memory anyways, could be off, it has been a few years lol.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You may be right in the end but Beck has a higher projected ceiling than a 30 pts Evans.

I'm talking likelihood, not best case imaginable.

You're underselling Beck at the moment but it's just too dam hard to know one way or another.

Beck has had clearly worse numbers in the OHL than Dvorak. I don't see a strong offensive game in Beck, sorry.

I would say Beck and/or Kapanen have solid shots at becoming very good 3C's and there is nothing wrong with that.

Kapanen has shown more offense, close to Lehkonen level, maybe one notch (5-8 points per season) lower.

Roy is also hard to predict still. Is he a legit top 6F or a middle 6F. Most will say top 6F today and it's fair.

2nd or 3rd line, somewhere in there, yep!

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I'm talking likelihood, not best case imaginable.

Beck has had clearly worse numbers in the OHL than Dvorak. I don't see a strong offensive game in Beck, sorry.

Kapanen has shown more offense, close to Lehkonen level, maybe one notch (5-8 points per season) lower.

2nd or 3rd line, somewhere in there, yep!
He's a 3rd line C if he reaches his ceiling, and he is not a 4th liner. Very small window for him to reach his potential.. will take him 3ish yrs to hone his craft in the AHL.

Roy has a top 6 ceiling, but he is not a 3rd 4th line asset.
He must produce points, again small window, considering Newhook is the prototypical middle 6 (and vastly superior player atm).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad