Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win!

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m wondering if trading Murray and bringing up Woll is viable. We could use the cap space and Murray has proven to have value.

Would love to see Woll called up and get a chance to start a few games…

Samsonov has been excellent and Willy? Just wow…. That is all. Wow.
Moving either Murray or Samsonov this year would be a terrible move IMO. You can still give Woll a few games down the stretch to see what you got in him and then re-evaluate in the off-season.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Why would that be a surprise?
A) was a Saturday night
B) the team played terrible, always way more to discuss when the team is awful.
C) half the post were the same 6 people or so complaining about those discussing the loss. DDL was on full alert after that game.

Instead of always having an answer, just acknowledge that certain posters have a tendency to chicken little after every loss

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Moving either Murray or Samsonov this year would be a terrible move IMO. You can still give Woll a few games down the stretch to see what you got in him and then re-evaluate in the off-season.
I wasn't entertaining the idea this season, it was meant to be a thought in the off-season.

For now, we absolutely have to ride both Murray and Sammy, and hope they continue to deliver as they have thus far. It would be nuts to trade either of them this season, and run with an untested Woll in the playoffs, for sure.

If we are really flirting with the idea of Timo, moving Murray in the offseason would get us closer to re-signing him.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Absolutely. But it's the way it was done. He was asked about Nylander's 4 point period. He said something to the effect like yeah he had 2 great goals but John....

He just could've sang Nylander's praises for a minute first and then gotten to Tavares. I don't think that would've been too much to ask really. Tavares was great. Best period of hockey all year.

Just think Nylander deserved a little bit of something in the post game presser that's all.
I thoroughly agree, and thought it was quite rude. It seems they are still trying to justify the Tavares signing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Absolutely. But it's the way it was done. He was asked about Nylander's 4 point period. He said something to the effect like yeah he had 2 great goals but John....

He just could've sang Nylander's praises for a minute first and then gotten to Tavares. I don't think that would've been too much to ask really. Tavares was great. Best period of hockey all year.

Just think Nylander deserved a little bit of something in the post game presser that's all.

I think we've noticed that Nylander is the step child of the top 4.

Whether that perception is real or imagined, Mr. Nylander will let us know in about 6 months.

Great time to have a career year, and unlike some others, this is happening when he's still young, and won't be signing a 7 year deal at age 32.

It was interesting in the middle of play, he went over to check on Jarnkrok. Maybe he cares too much about teammates? :sarcasm:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yep. It seems that since Willy got Matthews back on track, Keefe wants him to do the same with JT, and it worked.
Was a great call.
I didn't really notice the matchups but were the Isles focused primarily on Marner so when he switched lines it gave Tavares/Nylander secondary coverage?
Maybe the Isles spent their load in the 1st? They were everywhere in the first but pretty bad after that.
Strange game.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think we've noticed that Nylander is the step child of the top 4.

Whether that perception is real or imagined, Mr. Nylander will let us know in about 6 months.

Great time to have a career year, and unlike some others, this is happening when he's still young, and won't be signing a 7 year deal at age 32.

It was interesting in the middle of play, he went over to check on Jarnkrok. Maybe he cares too much about teammates? :sarcasm:
It's not just Keefe. The press is the same.

Today's Globe: front page in the sports section has a picture of JT and the caption "Tavares posted a goal and an assist ina 5-2 win". No mention of Willy.

Today's Star: page 2 (basketball on page 1) in the sports section has a picture and caption "Nylander and Mattherws congratulate ... Tavares on his first goal in six games".

Keefe saying that Tavares got Willy going? Willy has been going just fine, but JT hasn't.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yep. It seems that since Willy got Matthews back on track, Keefe wants him to do the same with JT, and it worked.
Lol. Matthews and Tavares don't need Nylander to get them on track.
Neither line was clicking, so they switched the lines to the more ideal combinations, and it instantly clicked for both lines.
Both Tavares and Nylander had top tier games helping each other.
The press is the same.
Today's Globe: front page in the sports section has a picture of JT and the caption "Tavares posted a goal and an assist ina 5-2 win". No mention of Willy.
Today's Star: page 2 (basketball on page 1) in the sports section has a picture and caption "Nylander and Mattherws congratulate ... Tavares on his first goal in six games".
The title and caption on NHL.com and TSN are both literally just about Nylander. Seems you've just cherry picked the places that mention Tavares. It's okay to admit that Tavares had an amazing game too.

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Great response to a sleepy 1st. Not much else needed to be said on this game. I do think some players deserve some real praise over their play of late. Some obvious, and some not so obvious.

Willy: How this dude is not an all star is absolutely mind numbing. He's been our best player aside from Mitch all season long. He has really come into his own the last 2 seasons, and just continues to dominate night in and night out. A silent superstar. I know Willy doesn't likely give a flying f*** about the snub, but he deserves the recognition.

JT: All I can remember when we signed JT was "wait till year 5 of that deal". Well, we are here, and I'd argue this has been one of John's best seasons yet. He does everything right, and as we saw last night, he still has the ability to dominate games. Did he lose a single 1 on 1 battle once last night? His puck protection and leg strength have been on full display as of late, and last night may have been one of the better examples of that.

Holl: This dude has been absolutely carved by our fanbase and media the past 2 years. I cannot imagine how hard hockey must have been at times for Justin TBH. The outside noise at times must be deafening. Of course that criticism isn't always unwarranted, but at the level it comes at is debatable. He seems to have drowned out the noise a bit, and he has really stepped up lately. I've really liked his game as of late

Kampf: Is it just me or is Kampf playing with a ton of confidence with the puck lately?? He's holding onto the puck a lot more and using his body to protect it very well. It may not always result in quality scoring chances, but it extends offensive zone time considerably and wears down the opposition. When Engvall has his game in order, those 2 make it very hard for the opposition to even touch the puck. David has always been good for us, but he really looks like he's finding an extra gear to me.

good win all around. Keep em' coming

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's a travesty that Nylander hasn't been named to the All Star team. He's the most deserving player on our team in my opinion.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The title and caption on NHL.com and TSN are both literally just about Nylander. Seems you've just cherry picked the places that mention Tavares. It's okay to admit that Tavares had an amazing game too.
Not cherry picking, which seems to be your favourite accusation, but just what I read this morning. Yes, TSN leads with Nylander, but the only thing I can see on NHL.com is about JT nearing 1,000 games.

Of course neither is a Toronto publication, but why let facts get in the way?

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
That second period is what makes the other games so infuriating. At our best we're insane. We just so rarely see it

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not cherry picking, which seems to be your favourite accusation, but just what I read this morning. Yes, TSN leads with Nylander, but the only thing I can see on NHL.com is about JT nearing 1,000 games. Of course neither is a Toronto publication, but why let facts get in the way?

"Nylander has 4 points, Maple Leafs defeat Islanders"
Little blurb underneath also only talks about Nylander. It was on the headlines on the front page for all of last night and this morning.

Of course, you said "press", not "Toronto publication", but why let facts get in the way?
And it's not even true about "Toronto publications" either.

Toronto Star: "Nylander-Tavares reunion carries Leafs past Islanders" and "William Nylander powers Maple Leafs over struggling Islanders"
Toronto Sun: "WILLIE WONDERFUL: Nylander paces Maple Leafs with four points in convincing win over Isles"

If anything, Tavares is the one not getting the respect he deserves for last night.

Reactions: Lauro

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
It's not just Keefe. The press is the same.

Keefe saying that Tavares got Willy going? Willy has been going just fine, but JT hasn't.

And it's perfectly natural that special attention is always paid to Tavares in games against the Islanders.
Your nylanderitis is pretty exhausting sometimes.

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad