Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win - Murray beats Ottawa and still getting paid by them LOL

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
From TSN:

Ilya Samsonov, who made 32 saves in a win over the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday, did not travel with the team to Ottawa as he is dealing with some minor injuries and he and his wife are expecting a baby, TSN's Claire Hanna reports.
Thank you. The report I read did not mention the baby, just the injury.

He was excellent for like 90% of the game to be fair.
the first goal was a crazy fluke. The concerning thing for me was the late goals. factoring in the one that got disallowed, it just a bad look. Still he was Pretty dominant for much of that game.
He did manage to get in the way, but he us nit stuck, or sure footed or sure handed

Reactions: ULF_55

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I’m really glad MM got the W.

Woulda been deflating for him had he lost, you’d imagine.

Lost the post again a couple times, but otherwise: held the fort against aaallllllooootttt of shots, put up a 920+, held up during the shootout, and one of the goals was about as flukey as flukey gets. Really battled.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well da tending is best I have seen it in many many years .. by my count that was 3rd win for Murray where we deserved no points .. combined with Sammy getting us a win and tie where we were non deserving of points that represents 9 points team got due entirely to tending .. can't remember a year in recent past where our tenders outgoalied other team that many times in a season ... like I have said before Murray, assuming he is healthy will start game 1

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’m really glad MM got the W.

Woulda been deflating for him had he lost, you’d imagine.

Lost the post again a couple times, but otherwise: held the fort against aaallllllooootttt of shots, put up a 920+, held up during the shootout, and one of the goals was about as flukey as flukey gets. Really battled.
I would only add that I can't really blame Murray for any of the goals, his chances of making a save on any one of them were slim to none.

Well da tending is best I have seen it in many many years .. by my count that was 3rd win for Murray where we deserved no points .. combined with Sammy getting us a win and tie where we were non deserving of points that represents 9 points team got due entirely to tending .. can't remember a year in recent past where our tenders outgoalied other team that many times in a season ... like I have said before Murray, assuming he is healthy will start game 1
I really don't think so. Sammy has been the better goalie this season, the only thing to even think about is that he's been so much better at home than on the road. So ... if we hang on to home edge against TB, it'll be Sammy but if we start in TB then it's less clear but we probably still start Sammy.

When one guys has been so much better than the other guy, you gotta not overthink it and go with him.

Reactions: aingefan

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That's 5th they're sitting at in GA/GP now. Goaltending this year has been dramatically better than last year with Campbell costing the Leafs atleast half the games he starts in.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Dude Murray is not starting over Samsonov, let's get real here. :laugh:

Samsonov would have to have a horrible breakdown for the rest of the regular season for that to happen. He's been the most consistent goalie we've had in years.

That's 5th they're sitting at in GA/GP now. Goaltending this year has been dramatically better than last year with Campbell costing the Leafs atleast half the games he starts in.

Can't forget about Mrazek either who was even worse.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Dude Murray is not starting over Samsonov, let's get real here. :laugh:

Samsonov would have to have a horrible breakdown for the rest of the regular season for that to happen. He's been the most consistent goalie we've had in years.

Can't forget about Mrazek either who was even worse.

Before last 2 game where he was awesome, last 3 month ( since dec 13) samsonov had 0.904 of sv %... not sure ite my definition of consistent

I think leafs will start with goalie whos hot and right now its samsonov

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Before last 2 game where he was awesome, last 3 month ( since dec 13) samsonov had 0.904 of sv %... not sure ite my definition of consistent

I think leafs will start with goalie whos hot and right now its samsonov

Samsonov has played many solid games over the past few months

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Are you sure about that one? He has a .917% on the season, the last two games definitely didn't bring his average up that high from .904

On the season he had 0.917... talk about last 3 month, since dec 13... by adding last 2, his sv % raise at 0.908

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I am talking past 25 years .. since I have been going to games regularly .. I go by points won and lost by a tender where team has no business earning

I would only add that I can't really blame Murray for any of the goals, his chances of making a save on any one of them were slim to none.

I really don't think so. Sammy has been the better goalie this season, the only thing to even think about is that he's been so much better at home than on the road. So ... if we hang on to home edge against TB, it'll be Sammy but if we start in TB then it's less clear but we probably still start Sammy.

When one guys has been so much better than the other guy, you gotta not overthink it and go with him.
It will have zero to do with regular season stats .. playoffs are a completely different game .. you go with a guy who knows how to win .. you never go with a mental midget (and they won't)

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Samsonov has played many solid games over the past few months

Yes he played some really good game but for me he played like a very good tandem goalie and not like as a #1 G

And like every tandem come playoff time, you start with the hot one and probably gonna use both

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
On the season he had 0.917... talk about last 3 month, since dec 13... by adding last 2, his sv % raise at 0.908

Yeah I got what you meant and edited my post already. That's still a lot better goaltending than what we got for most of last season.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Talk to a few people around team, even 1, and you will figure out all u need to know .. my friend there is a BIG reason why Caps gave up on their only G 1st round pick
There's also a reason the Leafs signed him and you're completely ignoring that fact that he's playing the best hockey of his life.

You say Murray will start the first playoff game for us, I say unless something drastically changes, Samsonov will start game 1 because he's been by far our best goalie this season. We'll see who's right soon enough.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad