Post-Game Talk: Leafs win! Leafs 4 CBJ 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner looked really frustrated to me last night. Saw him a few times shake his head, bang his stick.
Looked like a guy who wasn't happy with his line mates.
Looked like he understood why Willy gets so frustrated.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Looked like he understood why Willy gets so frustrated.
I think it's Nylander he was frustrated with.
It's tough to play at a high level when a linemate is playing half assed.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The 32 goals and PPG can be misleading, and I look at his whole game.
He picks up a lot of points on the PP. In fact, except for him and the unholy triumvirate in Edmonton, no other 'top' forward is close to having half their points come on the PP.
You don't look at his whole game, and the only thing misleading is that statement at the end there. The way you phrased it suggests that it's a result of Tavares being bad at 5v5, but in actuality, the main difference is the fact that Tavares has picked up an abnormally low number of non-5v5 ES points, like empty net, goalie pulled, and 3v3. There's a bunch of high-end forwards with similar 5v5 and PP production, like the previously mentioned Edmonton trio, Kucherov, Kaprizov, Malkin, Zibanejad, etc.
He sure got fed a lot by just standing in the crease letting those two set him up.
It's pretty hilarious that you're attempting to downplay battling in front of the net and getting open to get high danger chances, but we both know he did more than that anyway.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Marner/Tavares/Nylander last night:

TOI:
Shot differential: 8-5
xGF%: 69.93
Scoring Chance differential: 11-3
High Danger Chance differential 5-1

Worth another look?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Any thoughts on what Holl was doing on that second goal last night?
Only sw it live, they never showed a good highlight of it on the screen.
Goalie should have made the save but Holl looked totally confused.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

He picks up a lot of points on the PP. In fact, except for him and the unholy triumvirate in Edmonton, no other 'top' forward is close to having half their points come on the PP.

He's spent the entire season with one or the other of two of the best right wingers in the league (2nd and 5th in assists, 3rd and 5th in points, tied for 5th in ES points), and is struggling to do anything more than stand in the slot and bang in passes and rebounds, especially on the PP. Yes, he's still good on the PP and faceoffs, but not much else.

I think his best fit would be either 3C of 2LW, and on the PP.

32 goals is still 32 goals. 70 points is still 70 points. Like do people have nothing better to do with their day than to complain about how someone gets their points lol. What other fan base complains about a 30+ goal scorer.

Oh we are doomed, Tavares scores too many power play goals LOOOL. It’s actually ridiculous

Reactions: willmma

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Holl got caught up with another Leaf and the opposing blueline then sort of got back in the play and kept the shooter wide.

Not really sure what he was doing to prevent the shot

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
A guy with Holl's highly limited skating ability just can't get caught flat footed like that trust me i know da embarrassing feeling .. I was at game with my daughter she says how did he make it to NHL dad he can't skate .. there is really no good answer to that one

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
A guy with Holl's highly limited skating ability just can't get caught flat footed like that trust me i know da embarrassing feeling .. I was at game with my daughter she says how did he make it to NHL dad he can't skate .. there is really no good answer to that one
My initial thought was he turned the wrong way but like I said, I didn't see a replay so I could be wrong.
It looked like he could have just sealed the wall, not really sure what he was thinking there.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017

He's spent the entire season with one or the other of two of the best right wingers in the league (2nd and 5th in assists, 3rd and 5th in points, tied for 5th in ES points), and is struggling to do anything more than stand in the slot and bang in passes and rebounds, especially on the PP. Yes, he's still good on the PP and faceoffs, but not much else.

I think his best fit would be either 3C of 2LW, and on the PP.
PS - you forgot to add ...and all this for ONLY $11 MIL/YR....

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
32 goals is still 32 goals. 70 points is still 70 points. Like do people have nothing better to do with their day than to complain about how someone gets their points lol. What other fan base complains about a 30+ goal scorer.

Oh we are doomed, Tavares scores too many power play goals LOOOL. It’s actually ridiculous
Missed the point completely. I have no complaints at all about his PP production.

• Haha
Reactions: therealkoho

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My initial thought was he turned the wrong way but like I said, I didn't see a replay so I could be wrong.
It looked like he could have just sealed the wall, not really sure what he was thinking there.
He went for a free skate at blue line to center of ice for no good hockey reason .. da goal was entirely self inflicted .. maybe he was tired and did not want to stop at blue so he curled in ... maybe it was a brain fart .. who knows .. but for some unknown reason he skated away from his man and da puck .. once he did that he was flat out beat like a rented mule

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He went for a free skate at blue line to center of ice for no good hockey reason .. da goal was entirely self inflicted .. maybe he was tired and did not want to stop at blue so he curled in ... maybe it was a brain fart .. who knows .. but for some unknown reason he skated away from his man and da puck .. once he did that he was flat out beat like a rented mule
Exactly how I saw it.
My buddy and I looked at each other and said at the same time, "what's Holl doing?"

Great shot but the Goalie could have bailed him out there.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Everyone has their ups and downs and there's still two weeks to go until the real games start. I'd bet on him being ready myself.
I'm hoping Will is nursing some kind of upper body thing that's effecting his skating, effecting his shot and most unfortunately his willingness to compete.

Anybody who's had this type of injury or something closely related fully understands the debillitating nature of it if that's what it is. And even if that's what it is, why Will and why the Leafs.

He has never coasted for this long before, it's not a good look and a pretty big hurdle to overcome.

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
I don’t see Woll as a full-time starter yet, but he handles the puck better than both of the guys currently ahead of him on the depth chart.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Exactly how I saw it.
My buddy and I looked at each other and said at the same time, "what's Holl doing?"

Great shot but the Goalie could have bailed him out there.
Wide turn off a change, seemed like he was caught by surprise.

Honestly it didnt lead to much of anything and isnt a memorable play if we get the routine save

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I suggest you look at it again, and just tell me which way he was supposed to turn. The goal is up on SN in all its isolated glory.

It didn't happen like you're suggesting close but not exactly like that. It was awkward no doubt and the same kind of awkward that Rielly found himself in when McJeebuzz turnstiled him a while back. That stuff happens. I would think Holl who was just coming on, first thought about skating backwards, and realized it was way too late and tried to turn and go forward

Holl is not the most fleet of foot, but given that Robinson is one of the fastest forwards on that entire BJ roster, there was just no way he could've caught him even if he defied the laws of physics and the limitations of the human body, and even if by some miracle Holl was able to suddenly pirouette to his right and had attained full speed on his first stride there was still no way. I don't even think Rielly could've caught the guy if he were put in the same circumstance

Honestly it didnt lead to much of anything and isnt a memorable play if we get the routine save
Exact

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Weird take, it led to a goal.
Are we not allowed to talk about goals against?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Weird take, it led to a goal.
Are we not allowed to talk about goals against?
You can talk about anything you want. Holl's wide turn leads to a big gap. McCabe's over committed low and can't support to cut off on the 1on2.

All of that leads to a low percentage chance that shouldn't go in.

As far as blame goes, if a defenseman's big issue is a bad angle strong side shot the goalie has ample time to set for with no passing options, youre probably doing alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad