Post-Game Talk: Leafs win! Leafs 4 CBJ 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Nice to see us get closer to home ice but even nicer to see the Leafs overall play has been much improved since that rough stretch between the deadline and giving up 52 shots to the Sens.

Stay healthy, got ROR back in the lineup and try to settle into the lineup the rest of the way while playing good hockey.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well, we never win in the playoffs in this era, so one of these years I'd like to go on a 10-0-0 heater if possible. Change it up. Get in the headspace of winning... by winning.
We've gone into the playoffs on good runs multiple times, including last year. No cup-winner in the cap era has gone into the playoffs on a 10-0-0 run. In fact, the best record going into the playoffs for a cup winner is 8-1-1, and the most common for cup-winners is a three-way tie between 7-2-1, 6-3-1, and 5-3-2. Sounds like what you're expecting is unrealistic. There's really no meaningful correlation between how you go into the playoffs and winning a cup.
Getting goalied is literally the slogan of the Dubas Era.
Toronto is the 3rd best converting team in the Dubas era.

Reactions: Jojalu

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
So some years we were hot going in to the playoffs and other years we were slumping.
And none of it mattered.

Guess it doesn't matter
Literally last years stats at the end of the year, or how other teams did like Colorado did means nothing lol.

The only thing that matters for this time of the year is rest anyone that isn’t 100%.

Reactions: willmma

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
good game for the buds. Dominated start to finish. That said, it should not have been that big of a surprise given CBJ's lineup.

I actually found myself kinda cheering for the CBJ tendy at times in that game. Talk about throwing a kid into the fire for his first NHL game. Just kind of illustrates how bad and desperate that CBJ lineup really was. I wanted the Leafs to win, but I was quite OK seeing the kid steal the show in a way and keep it a lot closer then it really should have been. You never want to see a kid get lit up in their first NHL game.

all n all, just another boring end of season game that means sweet f*** all. CANTHE PLAYOFFS START ALREADY!!!!!

Reactions: Suntouchable13

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So excited to see what a full squad looks like.

Give Matthews two average players (he can still dominate) and run the 2nd/3rd line with Tavares/Marner and ROR/Nylander.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Biggest takeaway from last night is Nylanders give a shit level is non existent.
The amount of flybys and turnaways was incredible.

Marner and Tavares had no hope last night playing with him, may as well have been short handed.
Funny you say that I felt exactly da same way and I am a big believer in Willy .. to me i wrote it off as a terrible fit for a line with Willy Mitch and JT .. 2 guys who want puck most of shift and when 1 guy has it other guy is useless .. so many times both Mitch and Willy threw it into corner and expected JT to go get it .. damn JT just can't play that game - way too slow .. anywho i wrote it off as a terrible experiment of a line

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
That was about as flaccid as Mitch has looked in a while, from my POV. These boys are coasting right now, bring on playoff hockey.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well, I thought early in the game he put a few nice passes to Tavares for crest shots.
So little of the game is seen on tv. It's incredible how checked out he is when you can see the entire ice.

Of course though a guy of his talent will make a few good offensive plays from time to time.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Funny you say that I felt exactly da same way and I am a big believer in Willy .. to me i wrote it off as a terrible fit for a line with Willy Mitch and JT .. 2 guys who want puck most of shift and when 1 guy has it other guy is useless .. so many times both Mitch and Willy threw it into corner and expected JT to go get it .. damn JT just can't play that game - way too slow .. anywho i wrote it off as a terrible experiment of a line

I'd rather see Galchenyuk-Kerfoot-Nylander than anyone-Tavares-Nylander.

Not sure how they'll use O'Rielly, his speed is more aligned with Tavares.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I'd rather see Galchenyuk-Kerfoot-Nylander than anyone-Tavares-Nylander.

Not sure how they'll use O'Rielly, his speed is more aligned with Tavares.

Tavares - ROR - Marner
Jarnkrok - Matthews - Nylander

This should be the top 6 imo. Jarnkrok and Bunting could switch, but the rest is golden imo. For once, Auston might actually see a 2nd pairing.

Reactions: griffon1

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tavares - ROR - Marner
Jarnkrok - Matthews - Nylander

This should be the top 6 imo. Jarnkrok and Bunting could switch, but the rest is golden imo. For once, Auston might actually see a 2nd pairing.
Likely that way unless Keefer actually does what he has said he wants 3 producing lines playing vs Tampa and an energy line

Maybe
Bunting Matty Kerfoot
JT ROR Mitch
Jankrok Lafferty Willy
Reese Kampf Acciari

We will see what he does but my gut tells me JT goes with Mitch as he needs support and other 2 Matty and Willy need to power their own lines .. ROR then left to be the difference maker which I think he will lead da team over tampa

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Lmao. Tavares was literally the best player on the line last night.
He sure got fed a lot by just standing in the crease letting those two set him up.

Too bad the thing he is best at, scoring when fed in the slot, didn't work.

The way Mitch and Willy were setting him up, he should have had a hattrick.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So little of the game is seen on tv. It's incredible how checked out he is when you can see the entire ice.

Of course though a guy of his talent will make a few good offensive plays from time to time.
Completely agreed .. you need to be at rink to really understand da game .. for sure Willy checked out in that game .. Mitch too but not as much .. JT is always a try hard but just lacks foot speed

Reactions: ACC1224

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Whats the measure of that? Gf/xGF?
I just did SH%, because otherwise I'd have to manually add up the GF and xGF for every team over the past 5 years, but you're right, it should be the discrepancy between GF and xGF. Just off a quick look at the numbers over those years, I'd estimate we're somewhere around ~6th in the discrepancy between GF and xGF over that timeframe.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Completely agreed .. you need to be at rink to really understand da game .. for sure Willy checked out in that game .. Mitch too but not as much .. JT is always a try hard but just lacks foot speed
Marner looked really frustrated to me last night. Saw him a few times shake his head, bang his stick.
Looked like a guy who wasn't happy with his line mates.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marner looked really frustrated to me last night. Saw him a few times shake his head, bang his stick.
Looked like a guy who wasn't happy with his line mates.
Probably a little rusty from taking a game off .. he never was a kid who got mad at his line mates ever .. just a happy kid .. but I don't see Willy and Mitch on same line as they both want to control da puck and there is only 1 puck on ice at a time

Reactions: ACC1224

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Biggest takeaway from last night is Nylanders give a shit level is non existent.
The amount of flybys and turnaways was incredible.

Marner and Tavares had no hope last night playing with him, may as well have been short handed.
He hasn't been the same since the Sandin trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,700.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway