Post-Game Talk: LEAFS WIN HOME OPENER!

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I'm 1-0 in GDT's

View attachment 593896

Thought we played a really good game.

• Tavares looks refreshed. Got some footspeed back.
  • The defence looks real slow.
  • Nice to see Muzz throw a good hit. We all were calling him toast but last night he seemed a bit more limber.
  • Good PK for Holl.
  • Samsanov did what we needed him to do - he didn't lose us the game.

Gotta LOVE this

More of that from Matthews. I think it pumps up the fans and team mates but also allows him to be more involved in the game. Nothing to complain about in last nights game beyond the penalty disparity again.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Once again, Matthews scores to break the tie, 31 seconds later Muzzin gets an interference call.
Then 2 more penalties.
Remember when we were told that game management was to keep penalties equal?
They were equal. Until we went up 3-2
Then 3 straight.

The Leafs get penalized for scoring.
How is calling penalties based on score NOT game fixing?
The interference call on Muzzin was iffy to say the least, and the ahem "slashing" call on Aube-Kubel was ridiculous, I don't think the Cap even noticed it. You'd think we'd get used to this nonsense that happens way too often to just be coincidental. It's not just the Leafs though the other night in NY they gave the Lightning a full 5 on 3 when they called 2 mins in the same sequence one deserved the other one chintzy as hell, and last night 4 minors in a row in the 2nd putting the Rags on the kill for over 6 straight minutes with 3 minutes of 5 on 3. The league sure does seem to have their favourites.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
More of that from Matthews. I think it pumps up the fans and team mates but also allows him to be more involved in the game. Nothing to complain about in last nights game beyond the penalty disparity again.
Agreed. Jamal Mayers was on 590 yesterday saying that Doug Weight used to start throwing his weight around when the team was sleepy. It would wake up the depth guys as they would be like "hey that's our role".

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Quite the contrast in play from the Leafs in this game.

In the Montereal game they surrendered 11 odd man rushes and hung the goalie out to dry..

In this one they were much better and even sheltered the goalie and blocked shots and didn't give up many HDSC all game.

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Is anyone surprised at this point? Just go back the last 4-5 years and see how the Leafs stack up with PP opportunities for and against.
heck just go back to the 70's, Tiger, Pat Boutette, Wilf, Maloney and even Sitts would all get tagged with momentum killing phantom minors and it was generally worse in the playoffs

Reactions: kb

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
This would be my lines

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Kerfoot-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Tavares-Malgin.
Engvall-Kampf-Kubel/Reese.

I'm fine with taking the chance of getting Kubel or Reese through waivers to get Robertson up and Malgin on the 3rd line. I like them but if one of them is picked up it's not really that big of a deal with Holmberg, McMaan, Robertson, Anderson and so much other depth. Would love to keep them but it's not the end of the world if one is claimed and honestly I doubt they will be claimed.
I'm in no hurry to trade waive any assets at the beginning of the season. Let's wait to see if players that the team feel they don't need going forward can play themselves into tradeable assets.

It would be a waste of an opportunity to gain draft picks to do so.

With that said those two are definitely not at the top of my list to trade. They are cheap and effective forth liners.

Reactions: therealkoho

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It seemed as if the crowd was significantly louder on tv. Was that the case?

Crowd was pretty good for a regular season game. Was a pretty good game though lots of up and down the ice.

Reactions: ER89

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I noticed that. Slafkovsky got a louder ovation n Montreal than Matthews got last night.

He skates so well until the puck is on his stick and it’s like feet and hands are each controlled by a different brain.
Very mediocre east to west player. Almost zero protection skills. Fell into pure luck that Marner was on the ice tracking the puck when he got rocked trying to move side to side.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Was posting this in the Amirov thread but it was closed so I'll put it here.

Thought he would have gotten a pretty good ovation when introduced last night but barely a clap.
I don't think many Leaf fans know who this kid is or his story.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That's what game management is. The goal is to keep the games close. The majority of the time the team losing will be chances to tie the game or get back into the game. It has nothing to do with the Leafs.
How is 3-2 not close?

How can game management not be considered game fixing?

Reactions: OddyOh

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Better defensive game when it comes to HD chances last night which is what I was looking for.

Waaaaay too early Overall D team D numbers on the season so far after 2 games:

Fewest shots against: 2nd in the league (would rank the best in the NHL by far last season)
Lowest xGA: 2nd in the league (would rank the best in the NHL by far last season)

Team D looks really good so far.

I'm also really interested in how Tampa and other teams are going to fare with losing key players on D. The Bolts were a defensive train wreck their first game and I hope it continues....

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Well done boys .. i got to my seats after 5 beer so we were rocking it most of 1st .. omg steak at Hot Stove gents go for it .. i missed that steak .. thanks bud for taking me home as i had a few more in stands .. team was better team last night top to bottom .. ice was tilted with us most of night except when ref decided to give Caps an advantage .. good to see Mitch come up a dominant game and Willy helped him out too .. those 2 guys tilted da ice .. sure caps are a slow older team so easier to outskate them but I saw some good fight from Mitch and Willy last night .. good to see .. was kinda expecting more from Rielly and Sammy but from my seats they looked like da weak links last night .. our bottom 4D made a couple pinches but for most part decided to play D which made them look better .. but I think they will cause us more problems against faster teams like Habs .. Rielly needs to play in offensive end as he is too weak to handle da net front .. just not his game and he is easily thrown around .. Sammy did not impress me .. that 2nd goal was house league tending but he won so i have to give him some credit .. overall team did enough to win and got 2 points .. excited for Saturday night at scotia
sounds like you'd be peeing "most of the first!":laugh:

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Very mediocre east to west player. Almost zero protection skills. Fell into pure luck that Marner was on the ice tracking the puck when he got rocked trying to move side to side.
I can fully picture Marner hopping on the ice, assessing the scene, muttering to himself "Broski here about to get dropped" then swooping in to take advantage of the loose puck :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I’m watching him closely, i thought Malgin was virtually invisible last night, a complete passenger. JT and Nylander were pretty effective as a duo, which masked what Malgin actually contributed. Is he worthy of a top 6 role? He scored an easy tap in anybody could score in the first game, and had a breakaway. This game nothing, so I remaim unconvinced he’s the answer there.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well done boys .. i got to my seats after 5 beer so we were rocking it most of 1st .. omg steak at Hot Stove gents go for it .. i missed that steak .. thanks bud for taking me home as i had a few more in stands .. team was better team last night top to bottom .. ice was tilted with us most of night except when ref decided to give Caps an advantage .. good to see Mitch come up a dominant game and Willy helped him out too .. those 2 guys tilted da ice .. sure caps are a slow older team so easier to outskate them but I saw some good fight from Mitch and Willy last night .. good to see .. was kinda expecting more from Rielly and Sammy but from my seats they looked like da weak links last night .. our bottom 4D made a couple pinches but for most part decided to play D which made them look better .. but I think they will cause us more problems against faster teams like Habs .. Rielly needs to play in offensive end as he is too weak to handle da net front .. just not his game and he is easily thrown around .. Sammy did not impress me .. that 2nd goal was house league tending but he won so i have to give him some credit .. overall team did enough to win and got 2 points .. excited for Saturday night at scotia
Sammy was interviewed after the game. Said he was nervous up until after the second goal. First game with new team, playing his old team... and said he settled down after that. Too early to really judge him, and yes that second goal was a stinker, but he was solid the last two periods.

Team really shut down Washington in the third. Up until the penalties, I think Washington had 1 shot on goal for much of the third. Plenty of blocks, getting in the way of shots, that's what you want to see. Keeping the other team on the outside for once... good team effort. Good to see some physicality too, Muzzin, Matty, NAK, even Sandin getting into it, we out hit a team for once. Even Holl was good on the PK... as you say, some of our D guys need to play a simpler game, Holl isn't Bobby Orr, and often finds himself chasing back the play, once he pinches.. just stop that crap.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I can fully picture Marner hopping on the ice, assessing the scene, muttering to himself "Broski here about to get dropped" then swooping in to take advantage of the loose puck :laugh:
I reckon this has a higher chance to be word for word what happened than it was Engvall inventing a new way to pass the puck in the offensive zone lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad