Post-Game Talk: LEAFS WIN HOME OPENER!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
To be fair he hasn't had to win any because JT and Nylander have the puck on a string so far, but at the same time he is sort of "just there" with no real purpose or well oiled machine input. Better off having Robertson circling around waiting to hop on the puck when it becomes loose.
Bottomline too, does his game project to translate well in the playoffs.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
1 game sample means nothing. Just like the Leafs losing to MTL on Wednesday means nothing. By your logic MTL 1.000 point %, Leafs are just a .500 team? Montreal is better than Toronto? That's how absurd it is to judge after ONE game.

This is the point I am making..

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Last season: Kerfoot - JT - Nylander

"Nylander and JT need to be separated because they can't play alongside of each other."

This season: Nylander - JT - Malgin

"JT and Nylander are on fire, let's dump passenger Malgin" (who has a goal and a goalpost after 2 games)

Never change Leafers, never change.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021

"Nylander and JT need to be separated because they can't play alongside of each other."

"JT and Nylander are on fire, let's dump passenger Malgin" (who has a goal and a goalpost after 2 games)

You arbitrarily decided anyone who prefers Robertson over Malgin has some sort of intelligence issue.

Never change kb

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
A much improved effort from Wednesday.
The Campbell flashback i had on the Caps 2nd goal was intense. Nice to see Sammy shrug it off and settle down.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

I disagree with this take.

Simply put, I want the the best player possible to play with 2 of our best players in JT and Nylander.

Robertson is a better player, younger, and part of our long term plan. Malgin is not.

Malgin is simply being put in 2LW slot just because, just like Holl is being given a Top 4 slot, just because……

Winning is a challenge with the best lineup in place. We have already 2 instances of just because players in Malgin and Holl being plugged into roles that are above their skill levels in our Top 2 Forward and Defensive pairings.

Makes it that much harder to win and interferes with properly addressing those gaps, either with internal long-term higher ceiling players (Robertson), or address out via trade.

No more, no less.

Reactions: DarkKnight

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I disagree with this take.

Simply put, I want the the best player possible to play with 2 of our best players in JT and Nylander.

Robertson is a better player, younger, and part of our long term plan. Malgin is not.

Malgin is simply being put in 2LW slot just because, just like Holl is being given a Top 4 slot, just because……

Winning is a challenge with the best lineup in place. We have already 2 instances of just because players in Malgin and Holl being plugged into roles that are above their skill levels in our Top 2 Forward and Defensive pairings.

Makes it that much harder to win and interferes with properly addressing those gaps, either with internal long-term higher ceiling players (Robertson), or address out via trade.

No more, no less.

How can you say that Malgin is in a spot above where he should be? It has been two games, and in both of those games he has looked great. Sure he is the 3rd wheel, but so is anyone else we'd put there.

Reactions: Mitchy and deprw

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You arbitrarily decided anyone who prefers Robertson over Malgin has some sort of intelligence issue.

Never change kb

To be fair, I think there is a lot name bias there. I bet if Robertson looked the same as Malgin in that spot, or even worse, he'd be getting more praise.

Malgin earned his spot and has shown it through the first two games. Robertson probably deserves a spot too but not over Malgin and he loses out due to waiver status.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Bunting is the 3rd wheel on line #1. Pretty much everyone likes him there.

And Bunting was bad in both games. Stupid turnovers and didn't he take a stupid penalty too?

Other than finding space on a Marner feed for a goal, he hasn't done anything well. Malgin has outplayed him, just like the 2nd line has outplayed the top line in both games.

Reactions: Tarmore

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
And Bunting was bad in both games. Stupid turnovers and didn't he take a stupid penalty too?

Other than finding space on a Marner feed for a goal, he hasn't done anything well. Malgin has outplayed him, just like the 2nd line has outplayed the top line in both games.

I agree with the first part

Not sure I agree with the second part. Bunting does things like agitate and dig pucks. It's not flashy nor is he on the top of his game yet either.

Reactions: LeafSteel

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
To be fair, I think there is a lot name bias there. I bet if Robertson looked the same as Malgin in that spot, or even worse, he'd be getting more praise.

Malgin earned his spot and has shown it through the first two games. Robertson probably deserves a spot too but not over Malgin and he loses out due to waiver status.
Have to consider the differences though. Robertson has a high ceiling that his current raw self needs to start meeting and improving upon. It's understandable if Malgin is ahead of him in October since he's been around for a while and has tons more NHL experience.

That doesn't mean that will remain true by December if you let Robertson develop beside JT and Nylander. Malgin is such a meh player right now I don't buy into this "it's worth seeing if hes a top 6 player" at the expense of a prospect who played himself into blue chip status. Prioritizing the development of Robertson is much more important to me and I see instances right now where he could have had a few goals already.

As for the thought of him looking the exact same as Malgin right now and getting more praise, yes people will praise him but you need to consider why. It would be because Robertson plays too wild right now, so if he can settle himself down like Malgin currently has, it's more exciting and a bigger sign of progress than what Malgin is showing.

(The last paragraph is not a contradiction that suggests Robertson is too wild to play over Malgin. The point is you gain more from Robertson improving than you do from Malgin improving / making the top 6, and Robertson will most likely eventually surpass Malgin any time between now and playoffs due to this extra gain)

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafSteel

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Two games in, and we have five players who haven't been on the ice, for a goal against. Malgin, ZAR, NAK, Sandin and Giordano. Who do you think will be the last one standing in this?

Rielly is in last place on the team with 9.2 GA/60... which is pretty atrocious, but it's early.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

You’re the best dude. Last week you accused me of letting the Marchment trade go, which I’ve never talked about here. Typical garbage. Now something about Bill and JT, which I really didn’t get involved in. Like if you’re going to do your usual smart ass deal of running around berating any criticism, at least have some GAME. Just SOME, make it entertaining at least. Talk about never changing, the intellectually boring generalizations that have nothing to do with the fact he objectively was invisible last night, what’s the point? Put me on ignore ankle biter.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Have to consider the differences though. Robertson has a high ceiling that his current raw self needs to start meeting and improving upon. It's understandable if Malgin is ahead of him in October since he's been around for a while and has tons more NHL experience.

That doesn't mean that will remain true by December if you let Robertson develop beside JT and Nylander. Malgin is such a meh player right now I don't buy into this "it's worth seeing if hes a top 6 player" at the expense of a prospect who played himself into blue chip status. Prioritizing the development of Robertson is much more important to me and I see instances right now where he could have had a few goals already.

As for the thought of him looking the exact same as Malgin right now and getting more praise, yes people will praise him but you need to consider why. It would be because Robertson plays too wild right now, so if he can settle himself down like Malgin currently has, it's more exciting and a bigger sign of progress than what Malgin is showing.

(The last paragraph is not a contradiction that suggests Robertson is too wild to play over Malgin. The point is you gain more from Robertson improving than you do from Malgin improving / making the top 6, and Robertson will most likely eventually surpass Malgin any time between now and playoffs due to this extra gain)
Pretty balanced take here.

Personally I don't see Malgin lasting awfully long in the top-6. When teams start getting their games together and the games get tighter I only see Malgin becoming more and more invisible. To his credit he's had some nice rushes so far and obviously the goal but I would guess early season hockey suits his style more.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Bunting is the 3rd wheel on line #1. Pretty much everyone likes him there.
Bunting is a beast on the cycle, those three are like a hive. He contributes, wins pucks and compliments. He doesn’t need the puck on his stick, hands are decent enough to keep plays going and his motor assists the two studs. All that’s left for him to prove is he can do it in the playoffs, he was completely ineffective last year, but the injury makes it impossible to pass judgement.

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
Just saw the game. Much better. Nylander is in amazing vorm. Tavares very good too. Kämpf does not get Enough love here.

Much better watching the game with enough sleep under my belt.

Reactions: therealkoho

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Is that a typo or word play 👀
Lol fixed it.

As an aside, I’m just watching our new top 6 forward, it’s one ofthe interesting new things on the roster, so I’m going to comment and dissect. If he works out, what’s the problem, my team wins more? If he’s average, then yes I think a Robertson has more upside potential organizational wise. Maybe Malgin finds a third line role too, we could use more skill.

• Haha
Reactions: Shooter2x

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Two games in, and we have five players who haven't been on the ice, for a goal against. Malgin, ZAR, NAK, Sandin and Giordano. Who do you think will be the last one standing in this?

Rielly is in last place on the team with 9.2 GA/60... which is pretty atrocious, but it's early.
Rielly is not a top defender, we already know this, but we cannot ignore his skating and puck moving abilities. Youre right, it is early, but he probably will have the worst GA per 60 by the end of the season.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
We don't anything about Robertsons ceiling or Malgins floor at the moment. I'd prefer to have them both in the lineup, but I prefer having both with the organization over that.

We don't even know how both can manage one of the leagues top team. Robertson has played against preseason competition. He earned right to contest against NHL team and time will propably come sooner or later.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Posts like this make it hard for the rest of us who defend Malgin to be taken seriously. Come on man. Did you even verify some of these guys aren't JT-Nylander duo homers cuz I already see a couple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad