Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bozak is riding on Parenteau's coat-tail. :sarcasm:

That line is developing some chemistry, Bozak always seems to land on his feet. Maybe he's just a glue guy, if there is a couple of pieces lying around he'll put them together and make it work.

Bozak has 12 points in 15 games without Kessel
&
Kessel has 12 points in 18 games without Bozak.

Who is missing whom more? .. Appears Bozak doesn't rely as much on 1st line minutes and linemates and seems to adapt well to his surroundings.

Bozak & Paranteau and now Holland seem to have taken over the #1PP duties combining for 3 goals and 8 points in this game.

Maybe Pittsburgh could use Bozie as they don't seem to have a centre capable of getting Kessel or their near league bottom PP going.

YOYOTCROSTER*

Winning games like last night not so good for the rebuild. Whether you want to admit it or not the team is lacking a true 1c. Kadri is not it but I can see this year he can be a #2 guy for sure. Nylander is not it but he will be a great Kane type player. Marner although most of you don't know it is not it but again he will be a great Kane type player. We need a big strong puck possession controlling centre who does it all. Toews would be great but it is never going to happen. Stammer is not that guy either anymore. So it would be great to get Matthews as he controlled virtually every game he played in at every age since he has been 5 even when he plays up 2 years like McJesus did. When he goes 3 years up a WJC he is still good but there is a limit. There is 1 other centre in 98 age group who could be the guy but it will not be right away next season he is 3 years away.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Could Babcock's coaching bait Stamkos into joining our team?

I don't see the need to pay stammer 10+m, cause it's very likely that's what it will take

Wonder what the polls said about which one is better?

I don't expect Reimer to play out the season like he is playing now. It would be great, heck, Hasek became as starter at age 28. ;)

Perhaps getting away from the old goalie coach?

Allaire what a pompous fool

Yep, he has before Nonis brought in the saviour, and well who knew that messing with a goalie's head was a bad idea?

and to be fair Burkie thought it would be a good idea to bring Allaire in and mess with the goaltender's heads

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Winning games like last night not so good for the rebuild. Whether you want to admit it or not the team is lacking a true 1c. Kadri is not it but I can see this year he can be a #2 guy for sure. Nylander is not it but he will be a great Kane type player. Marner although most of you don't know it is not it but again he will be a great Kane type player. We need a big strong puck possession controlling centre who does it all. Toews would be great but it is never going to happen. Stammer is not that guy either anymore. So it would be great to get Matthews as he controlled virtually every game he played in at every age since he has been 5 even when he plays up 2 years like McJesus did. When he goes 3 years up a WJC he is still good but there is a limit. There is 1 other centre in 98 age group who could be the guy but it will not be right away next season he is 3 years away.

Have you watched Nylander play? If anything Marner would appear to be more of a Kane type. Nylander plays more like a Giroux.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don't see the need to pay stammer 10+m, cause it's very likely that's what it will take

It's a tough one really. Obviously you want to be involved on a huge talent like Stamkos when it's available, but we have to also be very careful to not over-commit ourselves to a single piece, when really the sum of all the parts is what will determine our success or failure.

The right answer is a tough one. There's no question though we do not have anyone in our system we could point to and expect to rival Stamkos as a goalscorer.

mikebel111*

Scoring hasn't really been that much of an issue and thats despite Kadri not being able to catch a break.

Do people still want to call Babcock's system boring hockey? Its not at all. They play a good structured game with possession. How is that boring?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Very happy to see Reimer doing well again. Always liked him.

Unfortunately, his opportunity appears to have come at the expense of Bernier doing puketastically.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
3 points away from a playoff spot and 3 points away from last in the conference.

Really interesting game last night. I'm surprised that the Leafs didn't get burned on an early goal. Really figured out how to play with a lead.

3 points to have as many points as the team that would still be ahead of us.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
In the world of 3 point games and the NHL's "Keep it close" system of gimmick points, being close is by design.

Consider this.

Of the 80 teams that have qualified for the post season in the last 5 years, only 3 have had negative goal differentials. We are -9.

As close as it looks, it really isn't that close.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Have you watched Nylander play? If anything Marner would appear to be more of a Kane type. Nylander plays more like a Giroux.
I think Marner is more of a Gilmour type. High offence but with two-way ability to round it out.

Kane definitely is a much stronger stickhandler than him as well.

PS: I do agree with Nylander, though.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Actually they have a -7 goal differential. Or -0.37/gm to be precise. Which ranks 22nd.

just behind detroit (-0.22), ottawa (-0.17), pittsburgh (-0.05) and tampa (-0.05)

YOYOTCROSTER*

I am talking about a 1C centre like Toews or Monahan who goes back deep into his own end rubs out a winger along the boards and lugs it up the ice and then makes a play. Someone who can control the game on his own.

I know Marner is learning how to play like that this year with knights but I have seen him play on same team as my son for over 200+ games and I think it will be very hard for him to do it based on his body frame and skill set but I know Hunter is doing their best to teach him and Paul i hear is very supportive. As I explained to everyone on here his pts will drop off quite a bit as he learns which is what has happened. That said Gilmour learned it in St Loius in the nhl if you ask him he will tell you same. You have to take a step back before you take 2 steps forward.

Nylander I have seen far less maybe 7 live games past 2 seasons. He plays a very different defensive game than your prototypical centre I'd like. He uses a defensive stick check game and aviods contact at all costs. I have yet to see him either throw a body check or get hit. His game is all about steal puck on stick check or have someone else dig it and get to him and then move it real quick and expect to get it back. I do not see any similarity to Giroux except same stature.

YOYOTCROSTER*

also your statement of his Marner's stickhandling skills not at Kane level. I am not sure that is correct either. His stickhandling has always been the top of his age group. He stickhandles at least as good or better than McJesus. Yes maybe better. Ask guys who play with him and against him and they will tell you the puck is like glue on his stick.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Very happy to see Reimer doing well again. Always liked him.

Unfortunately, his opportunity appears to have come at the expense of Bernier doing puketastically.

Before Bernier got injured, Reimer was doing worse than him.

After Bernier's injury and recovery, he's only played one game. It's a bit early to count Bernier out.

OvenMittz*

you obviously are not following Nylander enough to come to that conclusion.

Nylander is closer to Toews than he is to Kane. Marner is closer to Kane than Willy.

Nylander is being groomed as a Center. Depending on who we draft this year(Matthews? pipedream though) he could very well be our #1 in the future (maybe in 2-3 seasons).

YOYOTCROSTER*

Slow down there Oven Mitz woh woh woh I admit I have not seen Nylander live enough to know for sure but in the 7 games where I have been live at his ahl games over the past 2 years I have NEVER seen him hit someone or take a hit ONCE let alone fight. There is NOT a chance in the WORLD he is anything remotely close to Toews.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Well the fact of the matter is that I haven't lived in Ottawa for quite some time now and I've grown gather attached to Toronto. I found myself defending TO on the world stage and really the community had grown on me. I'm proud to live here and call this my home. Huge Jays and Raptors fan and I'll admit the Leafs will take a little work but I think they have the right coach in place with Babcock. Plus there's been this odd metamorphosis up in Ottawa over the years. It's attracted this new influx of whiny, greedy transplants plus a good portion of the locals seem to be a bunch of chronic complainers. Hardly recognized it the last time I went back. Basically their HF board is a like a grade 5 remedial class in basket weaving. Lost my love for the Sens quite frankly and their morbid fan base. Luke-warm 67's fan plus I hate Hull with a passion. And while I am pulling for the RedBlacks against Hamilton I don't feel part of the city anymore. Next year the Argos move to BMO and I'll be going to their games as I love the CFL.

GO Leafs GO!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad