Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-3 in the shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't usually watch sportsnet intermissions but I seen this too. I also seen Friedman chime in like dork and bend backwards to explain how it shouldn't have been. Apparently the spirit of the rule is taking about 4 guys jumping on the ice at once (according to him)? :laugh:

When did he join the likes of Cox and Shannon as blatant Leaf haters with the worse takes? He wasn't this bad before was he? He was tripping over himself to talk about Rielly too, after the Greig hit.
So the refs missed giving out a Penalty shot to the Leafs?

Reactions: Al14

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
They may have outplayed the Rangers much of the game, but the Rangers got the best scoring chances and could've easily been up if it weren't for Samsonov coming up big throughout the game and into OT. Also 2 of the Leafs goals were assisted by Rangers players with a Gustafsson deflection and a double body bounce and into the net on the Tavares goal.

Marner's goal was the only one that actually beat Igor so yeah Leafs were very lucky to win this game.
Leafs had a higher expected goals so no...you are wrong

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
The Leafs will have home ice in round 1, and then we'll need to hope that Florida somehow loses to the 8th seed, which will likely be Tampa.
I can’t see that happening. I’m pretty sure the leafs path is gonna be Boston and then Florida. Hope I’m wrong because I think Leafs beat Boston and Tampa. Florida scares me.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They may have outplayed the Rangers much of the game, but the Rangers got the best scoring chances and could've easily been up if it weren't for Samsonov coming up big throughout the game and into OT. Also 2 of the Leafs goals were assisted by Rangers players with a Gustafsson deflection and a double body bounce and into the net on the Tavares goal.

Marner's goal was the only one that actually beat Igor so yeah Leafs were very lucky to win this game.
Yes, Samsonov played well. Shestyorkin was almost as good.

Reactions: TMLife17

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I can’t see that happening. I’m pretty sure the leafs path is gonna be Boston and then Florida. Hope I’m wrong because I think Leafs beat Boston and Tampa. Florida scares me.
Harder path esp playing away might be better for the Leafs. As I am still afraid Keefe will galaxy brain line matching at home.

Yes, Samsonov played well. Shestyorkin was almost as good.
I thought Shek was better than Sammy. Both played amazing though and the scoreline really didn’t reflected how well both played

Reactions: bax

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Does that surprise anyone.
Just another example.
I am used to it now. Kind of like that Stephen Chow movie, Kung Fu Soccer. Where the owner of the opposing team said, he brought the refs, linesmen and the league officials to favor his team to win.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
So the refs missed giving out a Penalty shot to the Leafs?

I don't remember the exact verbiage but it basically says that if a team takes a bench penalty intentionally and there isn't sufficient time to serve it then it results in a penalty shot.

Friedman focused on the intentional part and made up the conditions of intentional in the spot.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
An example of the Refs and neither team knowing that was a rule?
Imagine the refs didn't know that rule either. I won't be surprised if that was the case.

I don't remember the exact verbiage but it basically says that if a team takes a bench penalty intentionally and there isn't sufficient time to serve it then it results in a penalty shot.

Friedman focused on the intentional part and made up the conditions of intentional in the spot.
Surprised he didn't focus on sufficient time, as any teams can score a goal within SEVEN seconds, lol.

Reactions: Jmo89

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Imagine the refs didn't know that rule either. I won't be surprised if that was the case.

Surprised he didn't focus on sufficient time, as any teams can score a goal within SEVEN seconds, lol.

I think I found the actual rule:

74.4 Deliberate Illegal Substitution

If by reason of insufficient playing time remaining, or by reason of penalties already imposed, a bench minor penalty is imposed for deliberate illegal substitution (too many men on the ice) which cannot be served in its entirety within the legal playing time, or at any time in overtime, a penalty shot shall be awarded against the offending team.

I think it was close enough that It was one of those accidentally on purpose kind of plays. But Friedman's example was just stupid lol.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
An example of the Refs and neither team knowing that was a rule?
They absolutely knew the rule. In fact that’s not the only rule and the refs can call a penalty shot on any penalty call within the last 2 minutes if they deem it necessary. This happened the other night when Vatrano pushed the net off with seconds left. 100% they knew that could be called a penalty shot.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They absolutely knew the rule. In fact that’s not the only rule and the refs can call a penalty shot on any penalty call within the last 2 minutes if they deem it necessary. This happened the other night when Vatrano pushed the net off with seconds left. 100% they knew that could be called a penalty shot.
How do they determine intention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad