Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-3 in the shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Any chance we play these asshole in the playoffs.
Very beatable team.
Except for Shesterkin's
We need another big rugged dedensive RD .
Gudas the dirty mother f***er

Great game Sammy
Get better Lyubushkin
Reeves thanks you for sticking up for your teammate

Looks like it’ll probably be Boston but maybe in the ECF

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Good hockey game, both goalies played well..

Thought this is a game that Toronto needs to find ways to win. Would have been better not to give up the game tying goal with 1 min left.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Perhaps Tre can acquire a speedy C (suppose Henrique) who can play with Willy and moving Domi back to the wing is something to consider?

Knies/Domi Matty Mitch
Bert Henrique Willy
Knies/Domi JT Jarnkrok
McMann Kampf Reaves
Holmberg

Not sure if you’ve noticed, but the Leafs have been dominating for the past six weeks with the consistent four lines and three defence pairings.

Why would you suddenly want to start shuffling everything up and destroy all that chemistry? When line combinations are working well, FFS leave them alone.

This is not video game hockey, my friend.

Reactions: Bomber0104

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not sure if you’ve noticed, but the Leafs have been dominating for the past six weeks with the consistent four lines and three defence pairings.

Why would you suddenly want to start shuffling everything up and destroy all that chemistry? When line combinations are working well, FFS leave them alone.

This is not video game hockey, my friend.
As Zybalto pointed out, second line is getting caved. Others were concerned about Domi in the 3rd hole in the playoffs, let alone the 2nd.

Bertuzzi/Domi/Nylander line so far this season:

Shots: 53-49
Scoring Chances: 40-58
High Danger Chances: 12-23
xGF%: 37.57
Goals: 7-6

Reactions: Jojalu

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
As Zybalto pointed out, second line is getting caved. Others were concerned about Domi in the 3rd hole in the playoffs, let alone the 2nd.

Keefe knows about the 2nd line being awful in their own zone, it's why Nylander got benched for the final 8 mins in the first.

In saying that, I think this is a better solution for the playoffs, when the 2nd line is actually on, we have a top 9 that is hard to play against, in comparison to having only 2 lines like that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

How do other teams get 58 scoring chances on 49 shots?

As far as xGF%... Rangers leader was Rempe yesterday. Laffernire was 33%

Also Money Puck has them as being 7 - 5 in goals.

They are scoring at a good pace, but giving up too many goals.

That line does need to be better, and some of that just comes down to Nylander not blowing coverage, and wouldn't matter who the C was... ultimately if we are outshooting and outscoring other teams with this line out there, that's ok... though Money Puck also shows they have different shot totals than you've suggested, and that they are getting outshot.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Won’t worry about the 2nd line too much. As we all know putting Domi and Bert on a line, two of the non defensive players in the league together will result in lack of defense on that line.
I think even having Bergy at his prime on that line won’t make that line defensive reliable.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

That’s why you have to actually watch the games instead of just looking at the stat sheet, my friend.

Domi and Bert are playing their best hockey of the year since being paired with Nylander.

The other three lines are playing great together - - why would you want to disrupt their chemistry? It makes ZERO sense.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

That line does need to be better, and some of that just comes down to Nylander not blowing coverage, and wouldn't matter who the C was... ultimately if we are outshooting and outscoring other teams with this line out there, that's ok... though Money Puck also shows they have different shot totals than you've suggested, and that they are getting outshot.
Not a stats guru like Zybalto but I assume not every scoring chance results in a SOG. Perhaps they hit a post or two?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That’s why you have to actually watch the games instead of just looking at the stat sheet, my friend.

Domi and Bert are playing their best hockey of the year since being paired with Nylander.

The other three lines are playing great together - - why would you want to disrupt their chemistry? It makes ZERO sense.
Normally I do not pay attention to stats, but the numbers Zybalto posted are somewhat concerning. They might get by in the regular season but it might be a different story when you play the same team every other night in a 7 game series. I don't think bringing in a #2C will disrupt the chemistry. In fact, might be the difference between winning and losing to the Bruins in round #1.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
“Getting caved” is a cute little term but it’s even more ridiculous than it sounds when you’re basing it on subjective stat sheet garbage like expected high danger chances. Who decides what constitutes “high danger” or “expected” goals? This is where statistics gimps get carried away and show their lack of knowledge.

Being on the ice for 13 out of 15 goals against like Justin Holl was during last year’s playoffs is an example of “getting caved”. But the analytic gimps would insist that Holl’s “metrics” during that catastrophically bad stretch were actually very good.

Giving up high draft picks or top prospects just to try and improve meaningless spreadsheet numbers like “high danger chances” and “expected shots on goal” is something Kyle Dumbass would do.

Results. That’s the only thing that matters - - results.

The Leafs are playing their best hockey in several years over the past six weeks with the current line combinations.

The Nylander/Domi/Bert line is actually out shooting the opposing line and have only been outscored by ONE (1) goal.

For the love of God, put the subjective spreadsheets in the recycling bin.

Last edited:

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Glad the Leafs won of course but I just want to say how great of a game that was. Honestly probably one of best all around games I’ve seen all year. It had everything. Both these teams would have a great playoff series. It had a playoff feel from puck drop. A good test for the Leafs

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Glad the Leafs won of course but I just want to say how great of a game that was. Honestly probably one of best all around games I’ve seen all year. It had everything. Both these teams would have a great playoff series. It had a playoff feel from puck drop. A good test for the Leafs
Yes. Even for a neutral observer, that was one of the best games of the season between 2 marquee teams.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Heard the sound bites of Tocchet and he literally said stats only matters when you win. Ofcourse he was referring to Goals, assists and points instead of advance stats but I cannot disagree with that.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

As others have pointed out, you can have a scoring chance and miss the net. Us Leafs fans should know that all too well for certain stretches of play lol.

Domi has never been a great defensive 3C, let alone having to handle 2C responsibilities so it's not really a surprise his line is allowing big chances but in the end, they are still outscoring the other side and that is the bottom line I guess.

There is a discrepancy between Moneypuck and NST (where I got my stats) but my point remains the same. Let's see how the next game goes against the Bruins.

Reactions: Fogelhund

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Good game by the boys. It was a tough one and they got the 2 pts. Wonderful game from Sammy, nice to see Tavares have a good game and Willy rise after the 1st period benching.

Brodie didn’t have a good one, but Liljegren’s return was welcome. The kid had a good game and seems to be blossoming.
I can count on one hand how many good games Brodie has had this year and I'm missing two fingers........

• Haha
Reactions: TMLife17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad