Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-0!!!

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
great game by leafs. Scrivens 7 periods of shut out hockey.....damn. LOL it's funny how when the leafs are in florida the whole rink is wearing leaf jerseys.

I don't know, i saw alot of fans wearing empty seat jerseys as well.:laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Our Leafs are playing great defensive hockey right now and I applaud Carlyle for his new system which attempts once again the "Defense wins championships" mentality, and give Leafs a chance to win each game.

No more trying to outscore your mistakes nonsense that has plagued the Leafs for years now.

Also Dallas Eakins deserves his dues as Leafs are doing it with his goalie Scrivens and 1/2 his former D core in Holzer, Fraser and Kostka as well.

Toss in Kadri and Frattin a couple of AHL grads to lead the offensive attack this year and we are seeing a new trend of building from within beginning.

So far this season things are looking a lot brighter than they have for some time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's not pretty to watch, but does that even matter any more given what the team has been through over the past 8 years?

A much prettier game than against Ottawa.

Nice to see the intelligent distribution of ice time for the defense.

Phaneuf won't be wasted for tonight's game.

Wonder if they'll ease Gunnarsson back into the line-up? He was 2nd. for TOI for defenders last night, so will he come out for Liles now?

I'd rather see Kostka out for Liles, but I'd prefer to see Liles out .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Our Leafs are playing great defensive hockey right now and I applaud Carlyle for his new system which attempts once again the "Defense wins championships" mentality, and give Leafs a chance to win each game.

No more trying to outscore your mistakes nonsense that has plagued the Leafs for years now.

Also Dallas Eakins deserves his dues as Leafs are doing it with his goalie Scrivens and 1/2 his former D core in Holzer, Fraser and Kostka as well.

Toss in Kadri and Frattin a couple of AHL grads to lead the offensive attack this year and we are seeing a new trend of building from within beginning.

So far this season things are looking a lot brighter than they have for some time.

I don't really blame the players for the previous years.

Look what they had to work with? Ron Wilson and cronies!

How can you hold the players accountable when the coaching staff was so clueless?

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario

Agreed. It's refreshing to see a Leafs team actually committed to playing well defensively, and great to see some of the young guys step up.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Kadri ain't slowing down any, just in case anybody (like myself) was worried that this was just an extended hot streak that was going to end with him going back to his AHL all-star ways.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Also, I don't think this team has been playing all that well defensively. Much better than under Wilson of course, but lets not set the bar so low. Ironically in back-to-back shutouts the defense was awful for long stretches. Lots of chances, lots of bad turnovers. The difference this year has been 75% goaltending IMO. See the Islanders game for what happens when you play like this and your goalie doesn't bail you out 9 times out of 10.

It helps that it no longers feels like every other PK is an automatic goal against, but this also is always highly dependent on your goalie.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Phaneuf 22:53
Gunnarsson 21:52
Kostka 21:40
Holzer 19:09
Franson 18:02
Fraser 16:28

Liles 0:00
Komisarek 0:00
Gardiner 0:00

That is very, very good bench management right there, especially when it was part one of a back to back. When your #1 and #6 D's have a difference of only 6 mins TOI, that's great balance.

Would like Kostka and Holzers minutes adjusted a bit. Play Holzer a bit more, he's been solid.

ForSpareParts*

What can I say? There's nothing to complain about here. Once the first goal was scored the Leafs were in full control. Some lapses in the first period, but never costly.

I'm so happy to watch a defensive hockey team again.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
to finish February:

Tampa
Buffalo
Ottawa
Philly
Montreal
NYI

all winnable games. March will be tough

Tampa W
Buffalo L
Ottawa W
Philly W
Montreal W
Isles L
New Jersey L
Ottawa W

That will be the midpoint of the season. I can see us going 5-3 in those games, about 15-9 with 30 or so points.

Looking good.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Good calls by Burkie all around. Patience is indeed a virtue.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not sure what game you guys were watching.

The Leafs' D was awful for the first half of the game, and Scrivens kept us in it.

We shut them down nicely in the second half of the game, but that was partly because they gave up after going down 3-0.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

The Leafs' D was awful for the first half of the game, and Scrivens kept us in it.

We shut them down nicely in the second half of the game, but that was partly because they gave up after going down 3-0.

More like the 1st period, not the 1st half. We were the better team afterwards, and great on Scrivens for bailing the team out during the 1st. That's exactly what a team needs. You're not going to play well for 60 minutes every game, it just doesn't happen.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

I this there's a difference between being hemmed in our own zone and being bad defensively.

Florida had good pushes in the first but the Leafs stayed strong and didn't collapse.
That imo is a sign of good defensive play. It doesn't always have to get out of the zone as soon as the puck enters the defensive zone. That's nearly impossible, teams are going to get chances you've just got to weather the storm.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
More like the 1st period, not the 1st half. We were the better team afterwards, and great on Scrivens for bailing the team out during the 1st. That's exactly what a team needs. You're not going to play well for 60 minutes every game, it just doesn't happen.

the first 10 minutes of the 2nd was actually worse than the 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad