Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-0!!!

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
What is the positive of MJ not trading him? They're going to miss the PO and their owner/GM/whatever it is called in Junior said he is not going to be traded... If they had traded him he would've brought back a ransom, the team would've finished lower in the standings (hence get a better pick), and they'll lose him at the end of the year anyways...

I don't follow them at all and don't know if there are some pros to keeping him that I don't know of as I barely follow any junior teams and don't know the structure of the league.
Everyone thinks it was a bad move by MJ, problem was other GM's were probably low balling because they weren't sure if he'd still be in junior after the NHL started up which was after the WHL trade deadline.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What is the positive of MJ not trading him? They're going to miss the PO and their owner/GM/whatever it is called in Junior said he is not going to be traded... If they had traded him he would've brought back a ransom, the team would've finished lower in the standings (hence get a better pick), and they'll lose him at the end of the year anyways...

I don't follow them at all and don't know if there are some pros to keeping him that I don't know of as I barely follow any junior teams and don't know the structure of the league.

Good question, knowing Morgan, he probably wanted to help the guys he grew up with try to make the playoffs. Maybe MJ asked him and he said, thanks, but I want to stick around and get the guys in. Just speculating though.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Gunnar-kostka what a D pair they were awesome.

Not in the game I watched. Gunnar was a give-away machine, and any time the Panthers had pressure, it was this duo that was out there. Now, an awesome pair would be Fraser-Franson. What a revelation Fraser is....+13 on the season now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That isn't it at all. I am so sick and tired of this team bringing guys to play when they weren't ready. Eakins will let the Leafs know when he is ready. Or perhaps RC will see it himself. But I am betting they will not be in a hurry to force him if he is not ready.

As another pointed out look at the progress guys like Gardiner, Holzer made in the minors.

No 2 prospects develop the same? Some get it quicker, some don't. Apparently from camp RC, Dion, were impressed enough to say he looked like a pro, I believe why he didn't make it was because he was hurt last year, but given a season of intl games, and WHL, he has probably advanced 2 fold since being drafted.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Everyone thinks it was a bad move by MJ, problem was other GM's were probably low balling because they weren't sure if he'd still be in junior after the NHL started up which was after the WHL trade deadline.

I still think they should take the low-ball offer (which would still be a pretty good deal considering what they're other Dmen they traded brought back). Just my opinion I guess though...

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
I am telling you right now there is no way Carlyle likes a guy who is not completely ready to handle the defensive responsibilities play big minutes on the backend. Having him up for spot duty on the PP is very ill advised.

Do you see him playing better than Phaneuf, Gunnarson, Fraser, Holzer, or Franson. And I haven't even mentioned Gardiner. He can play big minutes with the Marlies and will be up when he is ready.

RC took a one game look at Gardiner and decided he wasn't ready to play the game they are playing now.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Not in the game I watched. Gunnar was a give-away machine, and any time the Panthers had pressure, it was this duo that was out there. Now, an awesome pair would be Fraser-Franson. What a revelation Fraser is....+13 on the season now.

Honestly what bull. Did you stop watching after the first period?

Ralphy*

Having bet all 500 of my vCash on a Leafs win, this feels great! Hanta yo baby!

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Good question, knowing Morgan, he probably wanted to help the guys he grew up with try to make the playoffs. Maybe MJ asked him and he said, thanks, but I want to stick around and get the guys in. Just speculating though.

Really?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am telling you right now there is no way Carlyle likes a guy who is not completely ready to handle the defensive responsibilities play big minutes on the backend. Having him up for spot duty on the PP is very ill advised.

Do you see him playing better than Phaneuf, Gunnarson, Fraser, Holzer, or Franson. And I haven't even mentioned Gardiner. He can play big minutes with the Marlies and will be up when he is ready.

RC took a one game look at Gardiner and decided he wasn't ready to play the game they are playing now.

I watched part of the game today and focused on Gardiner, he was ok, probably the best I have seen him in awhile, but still not quite there to the Gardiner of last year.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

I do see Reilly outplaying some of those guys, and Carlyle isn't afraid to make bold moves like that rather than the safe, easy moves, like having Fraser in the press box rather than Komi or Liles.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I do see Reilly outplaying some of those guys, and Carlyle isn't afraid to make bold moves like that rather than the safe, easy moves, like having Fraser in the press box rather than Komi or Liles.

I think Rielly under Caryle, a former Norris winner. A guy I used to watch play will have a great career. He's going to be a RC favourite with the skill set and mindset Morgan plays this game. He will have every chance to mine RC's vast experience of playing in the NHL on a very high level.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008

You have no clue who RC is then. Ask yourself one question. Why is Gardiner playing with the Marlies?

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
He's pretty tight with his teammates in MJ, why are you surprised? Even at the Worlds he was keeping tabs on MJ.

Sorry. I read your post wrong. That would actually be quite classy if he asked to stay and the team let him. Classy at both ends.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Another W. Another time when I looked at the schedule and expected them to win, and they did. It's feeling like the Quinn days.

Feels good. Feels damn good.

And it's not just the winning. This is a team I can get behind. That I'm proud of. They are bringing back the pride in the blue and white. Gettin' all misty eyed here..

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
I think Rielly under Caryle, a former Norris winner. A guy I used to watch play will have a great career. He's going to be a RC favourite with the skill set and mindset Morgan plays this game. He will have every chance to mine RC's vast experience of playing in the NHL on a very high level.

I agree. But there is no rush. This team is not going to be able to play with the top echelon teams as the season goes on. I do not want him in that scenario here. Too much to expect from him,

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Another W. Another time when I looked at the schedule and expected them to win, and they did. It's feeling like the Quinn days.

Feels good. Feels damn good.

And it's not just the winning. This is a team I can get behind. That I'm proud of. They are bringing back the pride in the blue and white. Gettin' all misty eyed here..

lol

I am still sitting watching some the games with a slackened jaw. I expected them to win tonight. If they keep this up I will shed a tear myself.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
same game plan for every team i guess
how do you beat tampa?
-tighten the screws defensively
-do a good job penalty killing
- be patient, scoring chances will come
snoozfest
3- 0 :thumbu:

Griffski

Jun 15, 2011
Salt Lake City

I missed the first but after that they were moving the puck so well.

Frasers stats are crazy but he is pretty underwhelming out there. Never really see him make a good offensive play, real simple game but I like it.

People will learn to appreciate kostka, Gunnar, and liles when we play faster better offensive teams. The big guys get walked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad