Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1!

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
When there’s nothing to bitch about why would we bitch? How many times do you want us to say “great win, good job boys”?
If you don’t feel like there is anything you can contribute after a good game beyond “good win”, that’s the issue. Why would we pretend that positive topics can’t be discussed at equal or greater lengths than bitching.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I have a technical question

Box score shows the B's as 1/3 on the PP.
And that doesn't make sense to me. I know the PS happened in the PP, but the penalty didn't end after the goal. If it is a PP goal then the penalty should have ended.

So it's either 0/3 or 1/4 if you want to count the PS goal as a penalty goal. But how could it be 1/3??

kb

Aug 28, 2009
When there’s nothing to bitch about why would we bitch? How many times do you want us to say “great win, good job boys”?
That's......interesting.

People could talk about what the Leafs or individual players did well, but apparently it's only bitching that's necessary? Odd take. The bitching is usually only about the GM, and how many times does that come up?

Reactions: Mitchy and willmma

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Fun fact. Leafs have only lost 4 games out of 12 in regulation this season with the top line not firing on all cylinders, the injuries to D and G, and the bottom 6 mix still not quite there yet.

I think this team will be all right if they can weather the injury bug.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Guess my magic 8 ball was right tonight. Good win. Crowd was good tonight. After the game there were definitely more conversations going on with the fan bases than normal. Mostly good natured but man were there some a hole B fans. One crusty middle aged B fan was giving it to leaf fans so they started giving it back. Next thing you know he is flashing his cop badge and getting in their faces. i love cops but I couldnt believe what I was seeing. Great game.

That's crazy.

I was at the game, there were a lot of B's fans. One older guy sitting beside us stood up and started chirping at us after the Marchand goal. Heck, might be the same guy you're talking about. What a loser.

Reactions: mclaren55

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Fun fact. Leafs have only lost 4 games out of 12 in regulation this season with the top line not firing on all cylinders, the injuries to D and G, and the bottom 6 mix still not quite there yet.

I think this team will be all right if they can weather the injury bug.

Was nice to get Liljegren back for sure. He made a difference IMO. With Muzzin and both goalies out, still gonna feel it going forward though.

If the top line was finishing their chances earlier this season (at the rate of last season), this team could easily be 9-3 or better right now and we would have to endure people taking that parasite Simmons seriously.

Just want the goalies to come back healthy and be healthy for the playoffs is the big thing.

Reactions: mclaren55 and kb

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Lily is rounding form as a modern shutdown D. Smooth skating, good first pass, smart at reading plays with good gap control, strong (albeit not overly physical). I don’t see any elite skills to be a #1, however he has all the tools to be an all around solid #2. Essentially what Brodie was for Gio at the peaks of their careers.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If you don’t feel like there is anything you can contribute after a good game beyond “good win”, that’s the issue. Why would we pretend that positive topics can’t be discussed at equal or greater lengths than bitching.
Because if Poster A says something considered to be critical, Posters B, C, D & E jump in to argue the point. Which leads to multiple posters providing their points of view

Where if Poster A says something complimentary, then it's doesn't result in the additional 4 posts or the additional comments.

Hence a 25 page thread vs a 10 page thread

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Because if Poster A says something considered to be critical, Posters B, C, D & E jump in to argue the point. Which leads to multiple posters providing their points of view

Where if Poster A says something complimentary, then it's doesn't result in the additional 4 posts or the additional comments.

Hence a 25 page thread vs a 10 page thread
Of course poster A usually doesn’t say anything complimentary.

Reactions: kb

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If the reffing was really as bad as some posters would have us believe, they would have called Tavares for a trip and Nylander for a high stick on that play. :sarcasm:
They saved those calls for later in the game and doubled them up by letting the Bs off the hook on some very similar looking plays. In the end the Zebras took their game to another level.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Two best offensive plays were Bunting kicking the puck to Matthews for his first goal and Nylander's rush and pass for his second.

Liljegren and Gio were solid. Malgin and Tavares we're good. Willy and Austin were our best players.

Hope Samsonov is ok. Nasty deke by Marchand, but it looked like Samsonov may have caught a rut.
Possible but I think it happened on the PS, he looked really awkward going over backwards on Marchands nifty little deke.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I have a technical question

Box score shows the B's as 1/3 on the PP.
And that doesn't make sense to me. I know the PS happened in the PP, but the penalty didn't end after the goal. If it is a PP goal then the penalty should have ended.

So it's either 0/3 or 1/4 if you want to count the PS goal as a penalty goal. But how could it be 1/3??
Technically the PS is a penalty so when the player scores his team is 1/1, if he doesn't score the team is 0/1

Guess my magic 8 ball was right tonight. Good win. Crowd was good tonight. After the game there were definitely more conversations going on with the fan bases than normal. Mostly good natured but man were there some a hole B fans. One crusty middle aged B fan was giving it to leaf fans so they started giving it back. Next thing you know he is flashing his cop badge and getting in their faces. i love cops but I couldnt believe what I was seeing. Great game.
Herschel was at last night's game:eek3:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I really like the play Nylander drew up for the PP.

Rather than letting Rielly and marner screw around for 15 seconds skating up to center ice and then passing back to the goal line for another rush to center ice, and pass back to the red line and then try and enter the zone, he just took the puck and skated it through the zone for a dump in goal for Matthews.
It was situational as the Bs were making changes, and it's happened before. That said I understand what they're trying to accomplish with that drop back play, and it's also why other teams have adopted it. I think the Leafs over use it though. Sometimes coming out of your zone all guns blazing is enough to put your opponents back on their heels.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I really like the play Nylander drew up for the PP.

Rather than letting Rielly and marner screw around for 15 seconds skating up to center ice and then passing back to the goal line for another rush to center ice, and pass back to the red line and then try and enter the zone, he just took the puck and skated it through the zone for a dump in goal for Matthews.

He's among the best in the league at skating the puck through neutral ice.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Yeah, maybe they should fake the drop back and do a lateral to RW.

You know if marner or Rielly have the puck exactly what the play is going to be. Really seems to be a lack of creativity on their entries, other than sometimes Matthews carries it.

It's true, it's too calculated and predictable at times. Mixing it up is great. The more we get Nylander wheeling and dealing, the better off we are.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It was situational as the Bs were making changes, and it's happened before. That said I understand what they're trying to accomplish with that drop back play, and it's also why other teams have adopted it. I think the Leafs over use it though. Sometimes coming out of your zone all guns blazing is enough to put your opponents back on their heels.

I'd like to see an occasional dump and attack. Going full speed against a stacked blueline doesn't give the defenders time to turn and chase, but you'd need someone who can skate, pick a puck up and make a play. Perhaps the Leafs just don't have that player?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I'd like to see an occasional dump and attack. Going full speed against a stacked blueline doesn't give the defenders time to turn and chase, but you'd need someone who can skate, pick a puck up and make a play. Perhaps the Leafs just don't have that player?
Exactly, as for that player they do have him but he doesn't seem to be willing to do that full speed he'll bent for leather puck retrieval all the time. He can do it because I've seen him do it, I guess for all the coin they're paying him he doesn't think it's enough for him to crash the boards on retrievals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad